20 year old male. How long do I have until my hair goes?

Ryukil

Banned
Reaction score
I'm 20, and it looks like my hairline is receding...
My father is bald, my grandfather was, my uncle, my cousin...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/qvm1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/wyo2.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/09ie.jpg/

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
If you start balding in ur teens or early 20s then you will be in a pretty bad situation in your mid/late 20s.

postwarjapan

Reaction score
It really depends on your genetics but it seems that, from your family history, it might be in the cards sooner or later. It may be a good indicator to see when each of your family members who lost it up top but this does not necessarily tell you how long you have, merely a rough outline of what you may expect to be left with down the road. If you get on finasteride, however, this game of estimating how much time you have left will not be a problem as it effectively halts this process altogether. Your pics are pretty grainy but it seems that you're still in pretty good shape hair-wise so getting on finasteride would be the obvious choice to stop the male pattern baldness from advancing. Good luck!

postwarjapan

Reaction score
yeah there is definitely some recession going on there and considering your age, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get on finasteride as soon as possible. It should stop any further hair loss and at the very least dramatically slow it down. All things considered though man, you still have a good amount of hair and its really only when you come on neurotic forums like this that it gets noticed. However, if you leave it, it will, in all likelihood, get worse so being proactive right now would be your best option.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to doctor and ask for a script. If they will not comply go to an online pharmacy.

Ryukil

Banned
Reaction score
Some people on the net were saying to me that it's too late for finasteride, my hairline is already too high.
A lot were saying I should just shave my head. I don't really want to shave my head, but does it look that bad?

Also, if I were to do nothing, how long would I have until I was bald bald?

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
finasteride wont do anything for your hairline.

No one knows exactly how long you have until you're bald, could be a few years or a few decades.

If you inherited it from your dad, ask him at what age was he a slick top.

Ryukil

Banned
Reaction score
finasteride wont do anything for your hairline.

Well yeah, but I can keep the hair I do have with finasteride. So what you're saying is it's already too far gone and I should let it go? And I honestly feel like if I don't do anything about it, it will be over 5 years from now. lol

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
No, I'm saying start using some sort of treatment to stop any further progression. Your hairline is toast. The only thing that can bring you back a crisp hairline
is a transplant. If you would have started treatment when you noticed your hairline starting to go back, things would be different.

You're still at a good spot now, a lot of people come on here looking to start treatment when they're 70% bald. Hold on to what you have for the next
few years as there are all of better treatments in the works.

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, you would probably look good with a shorter haircut though.

Don't go through your life worrying about what people think of you, your hairline doesn't represent who you are.

If anyone tells you different, tell them to go F themselves.

iloveoov

Reaction score
If your hair wasnt thinning or thin then id say u might be okay for your mid twenties, but at this pace, ull be noticeably bald in 1-3 years. Sorry man. You need dutasteride and spironolactone ASAP + some keto. With this u can keep ur hair alot longer, id say until ur 28-30, then it might start going downhill again

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
spironolactone is useless. With dutasteride, you don't need anything else as it inhibits 90% of your DHT, but it should only be used as a last resort.. if that.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
spironolactone is useless. With dutasteride, you don't need anything else as it inhibits 90% of your DHT, but it should only be used as a last resort.. if that.
Hey pal, you look like you know a lot about hairloss. Good to have you here.

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
Even if it's too late for your hairline, it's better to have THAT hairline with the rest of your hair than going bald all over. Get and stay on finasteride so you don't lose your hair elsewhere.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride is for maintenance and if you want to keep what you've got now, you'd better start treatment.