20 Year Old Getting A Hair System, Questions

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone will see this but in case someone does, hi there! I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now and decided to finally post my situation. I started losing back in my junior year of high school and it's been quite aggressive. I've lost more hairs in the past 3 years than most lose in 10. It's weird because my hairline isn't that bad at all its pretty normal. Anyway, I've tried finasteride and minoxidil and a whole bunch of other things I don't want to get into just to keep things short for you guys. It's really affected my life I don't even leave the house anymore. So I'm planning on getting a hair system and I went to the salon and everything for it and here is what the lady told me. I would be getting a stock monofilament system which I know most of you guys dislike, but she said it was best for me because its not as delicate, less expensive (because I only work part time), and I am still young. Plus she said monofilaments look more realistic with black colored hair and said the hairline would look okay too. She would cover everywhere with tape and this would last me 4 weeks before I go in and have her re-tape it for me. It would cost $500 for the stock system and $50 for a re-tape + haircut. She advocated against lace because she said they were less delicate and would only last 1-3 months. I'm not really one to be living such a careful lifestyle so I'm not sure if I would be okay with that. I do know about how to take care of them though. Sulfate free shampoos, SPF, all that stuff. I was just wondering what your guys' opinion on this were. It'd mean a lot if you guys helped a brother out. All love.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Lost Boy,

Sorry you are having to confront this at such a young age - that's very tough.

Monofilament systems are rather old-fashioned now. As your lady says, they are very robust, but robustness is the enemy of undetectability. The most undetectable systems are fine and delicate - the base has to disappear against your scalp. With a monofilament system you will not be able to show your hairline, because the base material would be visible, and if your hairline gets exposed by accident - e.g. because you are walking into a strong wind, it will look fairly wiggy and artificial. Probably better than staying at home because of your hairloss, but far from ideal for a 20 year old guy.

You mention in your post that you have done your researches on looking after systems. That gives me a clue that it might be better for you to take the plunge and order your own systems on-line and do your own maintenance. The idea can sound a bit daunting, but there is really not that much to it. You can easily do it if you are willing to put in a bit of research. There is a lot of good info on every aspect of wearing now, on Youtube and elsewhere, and of course places like this to help you. You can get excellent quality lace systems on-line for $200, and they should last you at least 3-4 months with a bit of care.

Noah

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Lost Boy,

Sorry you are having to confront this at such a young age - that's very tough.

Monofilament systems are rather old-fashioned now. As your lady says, they are very robust, but robustness is the enemy of undetectability. The most undetectable systems are fine and delicate - the base has to disappear against your scalp. With a monofilament system you will not be able to show your hairline, because the base material would be visible, and if your hairline gets exposed by accident - e.g. because you are walking into a strong wind, it will look fairly wiggy and artificial. Probably better than staying at home because of your hairloss, but far from ideal for a 20 year old guy.

You mention in your post that you have done your researches on looking after systems. That gives me a clue that it might be better for you to take the plunge and order your own systems on-line and do your own maintenance. The idea can sound a bit daunting, but there is really not that much to it. You can easily do it if you are willing to put in a bit of research. There is a lot of good info on every aspect of wearing now, on Youtube and elsewhere, and of course places like this to help you. You can get excellent quality lace systems on-line for $200, and they should last you at least 3-4 months with a bit of care.

Noah
Ah it’s alright it’s not your fault haha thank you though it does kinda stuck. But are monofilaments really that bad? Wow. It looks unnatural even for a 20 year old? To be honest i’m looking for something that obviously looks natural, can play sports in, not too much maintenance (will cover hairline if needed), & isn’t too expensive. What do you recommend bro? I could order it online, then have the salon cut it in & attach for $100. Do you have a specific system to recommend? Appreciate your response :)

Noah

Reaction score
5890067D-8A11-42AE-8043-7CCDBBDB7480-12422-0000133F8502E6F6.jpeg
Well they look OK provided you don't expose your hairline, and provided no one looks too closely at your scalp. Monofilament bases are the reason why toupees in the 70's were always styled like this (I bet Chuck's piece is monofilament). If you are young and dating, not really that great. Sport and maintenance aspects would not be a problem.

I will PM you some thoughts on suppliers.

Noah

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah knows best..And based on various websites where you can order stock pieces, there isn't much cost difference between lace and monofilament bases.
If you can order yourself and have it cut and installed at a salon for 100, I would go that route.