20 y/o very worried.. PLEASE HELP

melo10

Reaction score
Hi Im 20 yrs old i am probably a NW2 and my father who is 50 is probably a NW5-6. I started propecia last year and took it for 9 months and experienced very negative side effects and would never take it again nor any other strong meds with bad sides, I have been off it for 2 months now and notice more shedding. i am now trying to use some homeopathic stuff just to make myself feel better but who knows if that stuff will work as it is not proven. I am terribly worried because i badly want my hair. Again, i realize this is a very common thing as my Doctor told me 1 in 2 guys get it. So my question is what advice would you guys have for me? what can i do my friends honestly? can i wait a few years shave my head when its really noticeable until im like 25 and then get a transplant? Will that do the trick for me? I was thinking Dr Nakatsui because he is close by and i have not heard anything negative about him so far. Also, as much research as i do, i dont see how they can take a small strip of your scalp and fill up all the balding area of your head with only that much hair. I think about my hair loss every single day, almost every minute, whenever i look at a guy all i notice now is if he has male pattern baldness or not. Its really messing my head up, definitely have lost confidence already. Please give me some feedback and let me know what my options are. Thank you so much for reading, and any advice is greatly appreciated.

theanimator

Reaction score
My first question would be to ask what your side effects were?? How bad were they? Maybe your doses were too high?

If I were unable to take propecia, then I would definitely start taking Rogaine. You might want to try Saw Palmetto. I never liked the stuff, but it's worth a try. Let's see, what else...there's the lasercomb you could try. Then Nizoral shampoo would be good too. From my experience as a reader of these forums, those would be the viable options to try. But definitely use Rogaine.

However, if you look good without hair then you can save yourself a lot of trouble and worry and just shave it now.

As far as getting a hair transplant, I wouldn't consider it until you've stabilized your hairloss.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
without Propecia, your chance of maintainng your hair is fairly low.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Its natural to notice other guys hair when you start to thin.I guess we all want to know we are not alone. Before I started to thin, i never notice guys hair balding or not, it was just hair....

s.a.f

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
Yeah, sadly finasteride or dutasteride are the only things out there with a halfway decent proven record when it comes to maintaining hair.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First of all, you must know that your reactions to hairloss are preety much the same as with everyone who realizes he is going to lose his hair. I and many people on this forum can understand how you feel.

Since you are determined never to touch propecia again, there are some viable alternative solutions.

Take Rogaine, spironolactone cream and Nizoral. None of these have serious side effects. I have been using them for over a year and i have regrown much hair(i am a diffuse thinner). Only thing i cannot stop is the recession but i believe i have slowed it down. The worst side you can get from rogaine is some skin irritation which will probably go away after a couple of weeks since your body will be adjusted to it.

I believe this combination is the best alternative to propecia.

Good luck with coping with hair loss :D

metalheaddude

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
RaginDemon said:
Yeah, sadly finasteride or dutasteride are the only things out there with a halfway decent proven record when it comes to maintaining hair.

Castration is the other option.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
s.a.f said:
RaginDemon said:

Castration is the other option.

I need my balls, I'd rather lose my hair than my balls, wouldn't you agree? Of course having both functioning well is awesome!

metalheaddude

Reaction score
lol yeah. balls everytime! No doubt. :agree:

melo10

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your responses.

What if instead of taking medications such as finasteride or rogaine etc, I was to excercise properly, eat properly, take some natural stuff like apple cider vinegar, green tea, vitamins, would this be of help? And if it did keep receeding, because i am only 20 and already receeding, i would be pretty bald at the age of 25-26? as my dad is probably a Norwood 5 at age 50. Do you think at age 25-26 i can get a hair transplant and be good for many years and then maybe later get another one if need be? Does this sound crazy? A transplant without any drugs etc? Also, has anyone heard anything about Dr Nakatsui? i have researched his name in these forums for quite some time but cannot find much. Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rogaine and nizoral are harmless drugs. Dont get scared by the sides written in the papers inside the box of the drug. If you read side effects of Panadol they include many weird condintions i have never heard of.

Having a transplant is a risk if your hair loss have not stabilized. Plus its going to cost you a LOT of money. What you say is not crazy but you must be sure that you know what you are dealing with. That means a lot of money, and a series of surgical procedures (you definately going to need more than one).

How was your father's hair at the age of 20,25,30? Check that to have a picture of how your hairloss is going to progress (although you never can be sure).

If you can afford a good hair transplant, then you have to seriously consider traveling to the top doctors at USA or Canada. It doesnt worth taking the risk of going to a doctor without hundreds of pleased patients behind him.

theanimator

Reaction score
Yes, it does sound crazy to get a transplant without being on meds...at least for your situation. I'm suprised at how scared you sound to put a little topical ointment (Rogaine) on your head, but how ready you are to go under the knife. If you don't want to use the proven drugs, then you can try whatever other methods you think would work.....just don't get your hopes up. I've tried all that other stuff, vitamins, eating properly, thyroid medication...blah blah blah. The only things that worked for me were Propecia (no side effects) and Rogaine (no side effects..except growing hair).

Get a transplant if you must, but you'll be fighting a very expensive uphill battle for many years.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Rogaine and nizoral are harmless drugs. Dont get scared by the sides written in the papers inside the box of the drug. If you read side effects of Panadol they include many weird condintions i have never heard of.

Having a transplant is a risk if your hair loss have not stabilized. Plus its going to cost you a LOT of money. What you say is not crazy but you must be sure that you know what you are dealing with. That means a lot of money, and a series of surgical procedures (you definately going to need more than one).

How was your father's hair at the age of 20,25,30? Check that to have a picture of how your hairloss is going to progress (although you never can be sure).

If you can afford a good hair transplant, then you have to seriously consider traveling to the top doctors at USA or Canada. It doesnt worth taking the risk of going to a doctor without hundreds of pleased patients behind him.

I wouldnt quite describe Roagine as harmless. It can lower your blood pressure quite significantly which can cause fainting in some people. People who suffer from hypoglycemia (myself included) are at particular risk of this.

melo10

Reaction score
I understand completely that without using propecia, rogaine, nizoral and/or other medications, a hair transplant would not exactly be the best idea. However, if i let it naturally receed and thin for 5-6 years and get a transplant to fix up my hairline and temple areas... wait another 3-4 years and get the rest of my head which is balding.... will this not do the trick for the majority of my life most likely? If my hair receedes a little further i should have enough hair at the top and sides to cover that with say a longer hairstyle? I'm sorry if i sound ignorant or naive, but i have noone else to ask these quiestion to and this has really been bothering me as you guys can imagine. Also, by fighting an uphill battle, do you mean i would have to keep going in for hair transplants? over top of the 2 or possibly 3 procedures which should cover the whole head? Because then i completely agree that would be a really big problem financially as well aesthetically. I realize it may sound like i am completely cool with a hair transplant rather than medications everyday and that is not true as i am afraid of both. However, the way i was thinking was as follows.... instead of spending tons of money and time every single day putting on the topical medicine or using propecia etc. and worrying about your routine or side effects, would'nt the hair transplant be easier and as well a permanent solution probably ending up costing the same as buying meds for years and years? Please get back to me, i really appreciate your responses. Also, i live in Canada, I have Dr. Nakatsui who trained with Dr Wong nearby, also travelling to BC to see Hasson and Wong would not be to big of a problem for me either as i have family there and am usually there every summer anyway.

Thank you so kindly again.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First of all since you are from Canada, you are extremely lucky to have a variety of top doctors to chose. I say you go for Hasson & Wong since it is so easy for you to be there (other people travel from across the ocean to go there)

Second you have to think about your everyday until the time you will have a transplant. Lets say that you cover the frontal reccession, and wait some years before you cover the rest of your head. The baldness will not happen over a night. The hair BEHIND your NEW hairline will slowly thin and receed leaving a "blank" stripe behind your first 2 cm of your fixed hairline. That will not look natural and you will have to cope with this weird look for a few years until there is enough bald head to justify a transplant. So, if you sum up, you will have spent a few thousand dollars, and yet you will not be able to ENJOY your hair until you are 30-35 when you will cover all your head. And this is the GOOD scenario since we assume that you will be a good candidate with a lot of donor hair,\.