20 months on Proscar et al.

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been on Proscar since Feb. 11th, 2009, and Minoxidil for a few months now. I wanted to know what you guys thought, here's my pictures; the first pictures are from November 2008, so quite some time before I decided to jump on finasteride.

nov. 08
IMG_3329.jpg

oct. 09
Photo-0017.jpg

feb. 10
Photo-0041.jpg

Photo-0039.jpg

apr. 10
CIMG0082.jpg

may 10
CIMG0010.jpg

july 10
CIMG0018.jpg

aug 10
CIMG0010-1.jpg

oct 10
CIMG0073.jpg

nov. 08
IMG_3338.jpg

oct. 09
Photo-0014.jpg

feb. 10
Photo-0038.jpg

apr. 10
CIMG0001.jpg

may 10
CIMG0006.jpg

july 10
CIMG0017.jpg

aug 10
CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

nov. 08
IMG_3339.jpg

oct. 09
Photo-0016.jpg

feb. 10
Photo-0042.jpg

Photo-0042.jpg

apr. 10
CIMG0083.jpg

may 10
CIMG0011.jpg

july 10
CIMG0024.jpg

aug 10
CIMG0011-1.jpg

CIMG0074.jpg

Well, this used to be a thread entitled "8.5 months on proscar" - and I said I'd be back at 12 months to update, so here I am.

Been shedding a little bit lately, but I've started using revita shampoo, along with a natural lavender and coconut oil shampoo and conditioner, i still use nizoral 2% once or twice a week in conjunction with revita. My sheds are never big, maybe like 20 hairs at the computer from all over my head. Upon personal inspection my hairs are holding strong at the hairline, maybe some new growth, but I feel like things are moving... in which direction I can't quite tell yet. I feel as though I've lost a bit of hairline density, hoping it's to make room for healthier hairs.

Keep thinking minoxidil is doing nothing but killing healthy follicles, as the areas I thin protrude into the hairline at EXACTLY where I place my minoxidil. Going to start only applying it along the hairline and not actually into it at all - see if tha thelps.

Either way, this is a year (well 3 days away from it) on Proscar, 8 months on minoxidil and nizoral.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Apr. 18th Update

So I'm a week into my 14th month, definitely can't tell what's going on. Thought I was potentially shedding at the 12 month mark, and I feel like that's subsided, now I'm waiting for some improvement to happen. Definitely feel like I'm at my worst since the 8 month mark, but I'm not sure if the pictures support that.

Please let me know what you guys think, I think I'm totally BDD.

July 15th Update

So I've been shedding lately, maybe for the past month or so on and off. If I recall correctly my hair was at its strongest at around the 9 month mark... so I'm kind of expecting (if my cycle repeats itself) to get back to that level at the 18 month mark and onwards.

Hair still looks alright aesthetically, just think I've lost some density behind the hairline compared with the 9 month mark, which I'm hoping will return.

Oct 19th update

So my hair hasn't bothered me lately, for the past month all the irritation has disappeared. I've switched back to using T-Gel every day, and almost never using nizoral now, and my scalp feels much, much better. T-Gel is all I was using in my early days when I had the most regrowth. Using a scalp roller on the hairline now, see in a month or so if that helps at all. Feel as though I'm losing density behind the hairline, but I always feel that way, don't know if anything's actually changed at all.

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 8.5 months on Proscar

yeah no serious side effects - no brain fog, i had a few weeks of weird boners at first, but those stabilized slowly over the next few weeks, and actually i'd say i'm completely fine down below now (though my paranoia had me believing otherwise for awhile)

thanks for the words though, i didn't want to fool myself into thinking i was doing ok.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 8.5 months on Proscar

i'd say you got pretty decent results. look at the mole on your right forehead, before/after. looks like the side hair has moved up some, alone with the hairline.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 12 months on Proscar et al.

haha ninja. looks good, keep us updated.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Looks great man. I'd just stick to the regiment, don't drop it, and stay on it. Don't worry about it.

You could fool around with stopping minoxidil and see if that has any effect...I'd say stay on proscar for life though.

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score

Well, living in London right now doing my masters, but got my proscar back in canada from the pharmacy (prescription). I got the Doctor to prescribe me 16 months worth in one shot so I wouldn't have to worry about it before I got back to easy-proscar-prescription-land (aka Canada)

thanks for the feedback guys, do let me know if you have any questions

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

looks good...you had a good regrowth on temple...why are people saying that after a period you'll lose the battle...If I'm taking finas...it looks to stabilize the situation...so maybe you'll have a thinning after 10 years...but much more difference will be if you'll never get it...all the that matter is to not have sides...

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score

i take 1.25 mg a day, quarter of a 5mg proscar tablet - no noticeable sexual or mental side effects to speak of

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score

Almost at 16 months guys, and been freaking out lately (just letting it occupy my mind too much), so I took some more pics, updated first post, NINJA:

CIMG0012.jpg

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: 16 months on Proscar et al.

for real? you had the smallest temple recession in the history of male pattern baldness. thanks for the "updates" but i don't see much change and am not convinced you even had male pattern baldness to begin with.

let's see some REAL success stories please!

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score

well, there's no doubt i have male pattern baldness - my crown is thinning slightly and my dad and his brother are clean bald - my scalp is constantly itching and i see miniaturized hairs along the hairline and crown area

i didn't post this in success stories because i'm not claiming it is one - i'm just showing people the progress of someone who caught their male pattern baldness early

Petchsky

Reaction score

I've looked through all your pics and your hair looks the same to me, and that's including before taking finasteride...Without seeing your hair in person I obviously can't say for sure, but maybe you are BDD somewhat. :dunno:

Hair looks great btw

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Looks to me like you were about to start having more temple recession but you caught it and even had temple regrowth.

good luck

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm definitely somewhat BDD Petchsky - if not before the whole "hairloss" thing, I definitely am now. That being said, I do think I just caught my hairloss right as it was about to make a move. I could post a simple series of pics (I was an amateur model for a high-high-high end fashion boutique back home and you can clearly see the sh*t coverage I was getting with my bangs before starting finasteride, and then how good they look 8 months later in a studio shoot I did with a friend).

Because I think I've lost most objectivity when looking at these pics (due to some BDD) I post them here. Your guys' feedback always helps, and it is much appreciated.

If anything I hope this serves as an example of what starting finasteride at my state will do for a person (ie maintain, for awhile at least, fingers crossed)

Petchsky

Reaction score

Well, good luck with it CC, it's hard to tell from photos, although you took a good amount, and I never like to say to people to stop taking finasteride as I've seen people on here over the years where I thought they were imagining it, along with other posters, then they stop and come back a year or so later more receded and thinned out hair and get back on it again...I think often it's the case that people catch their hairloss really early, so it's hard for posters here to see it, but generally I think you need to trust your instincts.

Thanks for the update mate

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 17 months on Proscar et al.

here's me again, just keeping my thread active for my own documentation's sake...

hoping somebody can suggest a good "off-day" shampoo & conditioner for me - t-gel is too intense to use alternately with nizoral (at least this late into my regimen, I need to give my scalp a soothing break), so I need something that will just keep my scalp happy, and volumize my hair