20 months on finasteride, doesn't look like it's working

boldmun

Reaction score
I am a long time lurker. I noticed my hairloss at my hairline about 2 years ago when I was 29. All of a sudden I couldn't spike my hair up in the front and it started looking flat. I thought it was damaged from heat. I soon began to realize my hairline began to get worse so I hopped on to 1mg of Propecia. After a year I added Nizoral 2times a week and S5 Cream since it was promoted here. I experimented with tricomin since it was promoted here as an alternative to minoxidil but felt it was a waste of money since nobody seemed to get any results from it. At the time, as long as I kept my hair down it would be very difficult to notice any hairloss. For months, I kept waiting for Propecia to kick in because I read it could take up to 18 months. It kept getting worse. I have kept my routine religiously of using Propecia, Nizoral 2 times a week and s5 cream at night. Now it is past 18 months and I can't imagine my situation improving. My hairline is divided into like 3 parts and the part is widening. The hair is weak and breaking. Now you can see through it in the light. I am wondering if Rogaine can help.

At this rate, I don't know if I can do anything else.

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say add rogaine (minoxidil) into your regimen like the above poster said. Also, what you could do is change the brand of finasteride. Seriously, this might sound weird or unscientific but I witnessed that when I switched from brand ( proscar 5 mg to Dr.Reddy's finasteride 1 mg) I have gotten much better results. In additions MSM 1000 MG grows my hair much faster. So you could add that too into regimen. Good luck!

boldmun

Reaction score
Your best shot is to add minoxidil into your regimen as quickly as possible, and stick with it.

Thanks Finnjavel, I have just got minoxidil. Thank you so much for the suggestion as I was afraid to pull the trigger and thought I should wait it out longer until I hit 2 years.

I would say add rogaine (minoxidil) into your regimen like the above poster said. Also, what you could do is change the brand of finasteride. Seriously, this might sound weird or unscientific but I witnessed that when I switched from brand ( proscar 5 mg to Dr.Reddy's finasteride 1 mg) I have gotten much better results. In additions MSM 1000 MG grows my hair much faster. So you could add that too into regimen. Good luck!

It's funny that you mention this. Over the last two months I switched to the brand proscar 5mg to try and see if it made a difference and I began losing so much of ground. I switched back to finasteride 1mg and I hope I can go back at least two months when coverage was much better. I will add MSM 1000 MG. Thanks for the recommendation.