2 years on the big three, update

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen that alot too. I think that's just what people with the shaved sides/slicked back hair style that's in fashion now do when they're having a lazy hair day. At least I think that's what it is. I'd love to do a full man bun... I'm almost able to pull it off... Almost... But not quite. Just a little more and it wouldn't look stupid.

I agree Parsia, 6 months should be enough. I would say, it seems in most cases people see results after 3-4 months, but in some cases it takes longer. By 6 months I think if a treatment does work, you will see some improvement. It's by no means achieved it's peak result at 6 months, but you should know if it's doing anything or if it causes sides at that stage

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I ask you which brand of multivitamins (with iron) you're taking? I'm looking into the role of iron in male pattern baldness. Quite a few studies have been performed on this subject. I was also wondering when you take finasteride, morning or evening? Did you find a difference when you started using minoxidil a second time a day? Lastly, how often do you use nizoral and what percentage? Congratulations on the fantastic regrowth :)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just buy cheap multivitamins with Iron from Tesco (a UK/Ireland supermarket). My diet isn't the best and I try to eat lots of red meat, nuts and eggs for protein. I take finasteride different times, sometimes morning, sometimes evening, don't think it matters really.

I didn't really notice any difference after switching to 2x per day, but tbh I didn't give it long before adding 10% minoxidil. Now I use 10% minoxidil in the morning on my hairline and 5% all over my head at night. I did notice a subtle difference in the last couple of months. Nothing drastic, but I can feel my hairline is a little thicker and have some new hairs growing in around my hairline, possible behind my hairline too.

I use nizoral once or twice a week, I use Alpecin/Aussie Mega Shampoo on other days.

Thanks Koga!

- - - Updated - - -

My ex girlfriend was anaemic and her hair became thin and nails brittle. I don't think Iron is responsible in any way for male pattern baldness, but Iron is certainly necessary for healthy hair and nails.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think a lack of iron causes our male pattern baldness, but I've read a study that appeared to say that extra iron almost always has some effect in people suffering male pattern baldness. How much mg iron is in your daily multi? And which percentage nizoral are you using? Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll keep using minoxidil once a day. 10% might be interesting though.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Iron is important for everyone's hair, not just male pattern baldness sufferers. My multivitamins have 14 mg of Iron 100% daily NRV/GDA. I just use 2% standard ketokonazole nizoral.

I think anyone who desires a bit more regrowth after 18 months on minoxidil should certainly consider trying 10%. I'm increasingly thinking it's doing more than I initially thought...

manet22

Reaction score
Your hair back then was so bad and now it is so amazing that I can barely believe this is an honest post :)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair back then was so bad and now it is so amazing that I can barely believe this is an honest post :)

You should check out Raz's topic. Another Finnish dude, his hair was even worse than mine and he got even more regrowth than me...

I never actually went bald. Drastic thinning, but I had no bald spots, and thinning hair can be restored/thickened. As the saying goes, wherever there is hair, you can thicken it...

nathoka

Established Member
Reaction score
@goldenmane

i am 16 months into big 3 treatment. it was going good with minor sheds and then hair came stronger. but now during last 20-25 days i am shedding alot. it has destroyed the hair and i have lost ground. scalp is visible. any suggestion?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
@goldenmane

i am 16 months into big 3 treatment. it was going good with minor sheds and then hair came stronger. but now during last 20-25 days i am shedding alot. it has destroyed the hair and i have lost ground. scalp is visible. any suggestion?

The problem with male pattern baldness is that it can rapidly accelerate at any time... It may just be a shed, in which case there's not really anything you can do, just ride it out... It may also be male pattern baldness acceleration, in which case stronger drugs like dutasteride and or 10% minoxidil should help.

male pattern baldness is progressive follicle miniaturisation, not hair falling out, so I would say don't worry too much, it's probably just a shed, it'll probably come back even stronger. Monitor it and if your hair doesnt recover in the next month or two, then try dutasteride.

bacho1927

Reaction score
here is my results after using nizoral 2%(with ketoconazole) shampoo and minoxidil 5%

my little success story

i cant create new thread and ill just write here,i dont have photo and sorry for that

i'm 19 years old boy, my hair loss(androgenetic) started 1 year ago when i was shampooing my hair there was so many hair on my hand (30-40 or more each shampooing), i had very dry scalp and itchy also, after ithying i had little skin (maybe dandruff or f***in seborea) under my fingernails,

i started using nizoral 2% shampoo (twice in a week 1:3 day)and minoxidil 5%(twice in a day 1ml:1ml) at the same time >>>

1(first day) use >> ithyness gone
2(day 4) use>> i tried to itch for test and there was no dandruff under my fingernails
3,4,5(day 15) use>> my hair loss reduced 1.5 times (maybe minoxidil 5% did something)
6,7(day 22) use>> my hair loss reduced 2-3 times (after shampooing , on my hands there is 6-10 hair)
8 use( 1 month) >> nothing changed , but i have a little dandruff bottom of my hair and my hair looks way healthier

1 month left after using both of this things , there was 50% hair on both front sides and in middle too now it is 60%. better results will be in 4 month and max result in 1 year

and yea also it will be better to talk any pharmacist and tell him about vitamin capsules for hair ( im drinking Novophane>> ingredients vitamin B5,Biotin(vit.H),vitamin E, B6 and others

good luck guys!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Small update

Not sure if anyone can see thanks to my crappy iphone 5 camera resolution, but sprouting some new hairs along my hairline and left temple is filling in a tiny bit. Front of hairline is still a little thin and hairline shape/temples look a bit **** still, but overall, passable hair for the moment. Last post my hair was poofed up a bit, this is tied back semi tightly
IMG_2029.jpgIMG_2036.jpgIMG_2055.jpgIMG_2107.jpgIMG_2110.jpgIMG_2112.jpg

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers Swoop.

@k9gatton, are there any particular benefits of using liquid/topical finasteride over plain old oral finasteride? I always assumed that systemic drugs were more effective than topicals? Do you make your own 30% minoxidil? I'm not seeing enormous differences between 5% and 10% minoxidil so I'm trying 15% now, maybe I'll save 30% for further down the road...

mosd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers Swoop.

@k9gatton, are there any particular benefits of using liquid/topical finasteride over plain old oral finasteride? I always assumed that systemic drugs were more effective than topicals? Do you make your own 30% minoxidil? I'm not seeing enormous differences between 5% and 10% minoxidil so I'm trying 15% now, maybe I'll save 30% for further down the road...

where do you buy 15%?

How is your regimen now?

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
If the above is what your hair looks like now, you don't need a transplant, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I get it from a pharmacy, from a doctor's script. I don't think the minoxidil reall did much for me, except grow my hair faster. Topical finasteride is only slightly better, from what I read. I use .1ml now (= 1mg a day). And I cut the minoxidil to 15%, with retin-A added. Topical finasteride cuts DHT 80%, versus 70% for oral. Merk used to compete with Rogaine (late 90s). The reason it is in pill form is they thought that would give them an advantage, since it's easier to maintain. (One pill a day versus putting liquid twice on your scalp). Kind of stupid. I really like the liquid. I'm in my fourties, so my results won't be as good as yours. But it did stop my balding (.05ml from Jan 2015 - Oct 31 2015). And it did grow hair back in my hairline. It grew 1.5 to 2 centimeters back. There's still regrowth. I went from Norwood 4 - Norwood 3. However, it's too late, and I think I will stay at Norwood 3. (Hopefully not).

I presume you mean you're taking 1ml/a day? That's 0.1% concentration.

Also, do you have a source for this claim about the percentage of DHT inhibition? I've never heard it. In fact, all I've heard is that oral ≥ topical finasteride, if anything.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats man, the top is looking way better than pre-treatment!