2 years on generic Propecia (Finasteride), pics and story!

buddyspied

Reaction score
I wanted to register and post my story and pics since when I was deciding to go on Finasteride there seemed to be little help other than this site for real people and not internet drug stores and misinformation..

I started losing hair at 21 slowly each year. By the time I was 27-28 it was indeed thin from the front towards the back but I had ok coverage in the back. I always kept my hair short to minimize the effect but had been seeing and hearing friends success stories on propecia. I finally decided it was a now or never moment when I was 30 about to turn 31. I'm 33 now and have been on the generic finasteride made by pms. My pharmacy had always had difficulty keeping that brand in stock and about three months ago switched me to "Sandoz" brand finasteride. I had been doing fine on the pms for about 20 months. No huge gain, no huge loss/shed but once I made the switch I noticed my hair thinning more than it had in 21 previous months.. I know and have read they're all the same drug but this was my honest impression. So much so that I've decided to go onto real propecia which started today. The price difference was negligible and I'd rather have this than Sandoz.

I've also used Nizoral shampoo once or twice a week since I'd read on line that everyone in the original propecia study had used it as well. Aside from what it might look like in early pictures, I've never had dry scalp as a result of the propecia. I live in canada and have naturally dry skin.. it's cold here.. I personally feel that the drug has done a good job of slowing down my hair loss. Friends have remarked that I'm "maintaining" and even looking back at pictures from 4-5 years ago, I'm arguably not that much worse off if at all.

The only side effects I had were in the very beginning, a few pimples on my shoulders and forehead which cleared up after about a month. Aside from that it's been worry free. I wanted to post pics so people thinking about going on can see real results and not to expect miracles. I'll answer whatever questions I can about my personal experience so far and try and provide more pics down the road at intervals. These pics are from when I began and literally yesterday. In normal lighting it's not even evident I'm thinning on top. I wanted to take under the same conditions as my first pics which are with strong overhead lighting in the same spot.

Good luck to everyone, if you're looking to keep what you have I'd say go for it but once you're in, you have to be prepared to be in for the long haul. Two years have flown by and I find myself worrying less each day about my hair. It's levelled out.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
The last 4 photos look MUCH better! I'm surprised you got that much regrowth without minoxidil, congrats! Would you consider adding minoxidil to your regimen?

danny099

Reaction score
Impressive result, your vertex has thickened remarkably! Clear evidence that finasteride works better in the back rather than in the frontal area, you have regained plenty of hair there, I can actually observe the same in my case. Are you considering hair transplant to the front in the future?

buddyspied

Reaction score
Tanks guys, Goldenmane- I haven't considered anything else to add since I've always felt it turns people into mad scientists and I'd literally become obsessed with my hair.

danny099- I used to have a little more hair bridging the front on my left side that has faded in the past 3 months since I started taking the Sandoz finasteride. I'm going to give real propecia a chance to grow it back and maybe somewhere down the road if I were to get a good deal I'd do a hair transplant. Strange thing is I have "grown" used to my hair line and it really doesn't bother me. I really got on propecia to try and keep what I had and see if I could grow new hair. Seeing the amazing results a hair transplant can do is always tempting but definitely on the back burner for now. I'd rather spend that money travelling!

Thanks again guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Tanks guys, Goldenmane- I haven't considered anything else to add since I've always felt it turns people into mad scientists and I'd literally become obsessed with my hair.

danny099- I used to have a little more hair bridging the front on my left side that has faded in the past 3 months since I started taking the Sandoz finasteride. I'm going to give real propecia a chance to grow it back and maybe somewhere down the road if I were to get a good deal I'd do a hair transplant. Strange thing is I have "grown" used to my hair line and it really doesn't bother me. I really got on propecia to try and keep what I had and see if I could grow new hair. Seeing the amazing results a hair transplant can do is always tempting but definitely on the back burner for now. I'd rather spend that money travelling!

Thanks again guys.