2 Years Moderate Success? finasteride + Nizoral 2% [Pictures]

G

I have had moderate success 2+ years on finasteride 1.25/Nizoral 2% daily. At one point I was inconsistently using minoxidil liquid generic but gave up. I will be adding rogain foam 5% twice daily consistently to my regimen beginning today.

Hopefully I will get some additional coverage out of it. At the very least finasteride and nizoral have maintained what I had.

I was almost 23 years old in the first image, and 25 in the last. I will go ahead and edit my age into the original post as well.

Images below in direct sunlight.
finandnizoral.jpg

an additional after shot
brownhairy.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and any input is more than welcome.

mpower90069

Reaction score
Way to go! :punk:

I can barely tell that you are thinning in your March 24th, 2012 picture. That is quite a reversal from where you were in 2009. It seems that you were in the relatively early stages of thinning in your first pic (i see lots of follicles in 2009, just seem they were starting to move towards minaturizing), which is probably why you responded so well to Finasteride.

Did Finasteride increase the calibur of your existing hairs? How long did it take for it to take effect? Any effects on the temples? How old are you, and when did you first notice thinning?

G

@mpower90069

Thanks for stopping by. I was almost 23 in the first picture when I began treatment, and now I am 25. My hair had been thinning on the crown since 2007 (about 20 years old). At the time, it was not enough for me to be concerned about. In retrospect, I wish I would have started right then and there. And yes, I do suspect you are correct about the miniturizing of the hair. In 2009, although the crown revealed much of the scalp there were many small, colorless hairs in that area.

I suspect finasteride/nizoral did help strengthen and maintain existing hairs and helping to bring back hairs on the scalp. I probably noticed a noticeable a bit after a year later. As far as the temples/hairline, thankfully that is not really a problem spot for me.

mrfifs

Reaction score
no shedding ? using nizoral eveyday? isnt it bad as posted by others?

mpower90069

Reaction score
cmf,

You must feel like you really dodged the male pattern baldness bullet, and you took action just in time. My hope is you will have many years of success with nizoral + finasteride, and that you keep gaining more thickness. The 10 year study of finasteride recently released, showed continual success 10 years going, so perhaps you will thicken up even further!

Folks must have been really surprised to see you reverse the thinning. Did you get any comments from friends/family? Are you thinking a lot less about your hair now? How close are you to feel confident, about your hair... from your updated pics, I can't see how much more you will want to make you happy!

Congrats again, and thanks for posting for the benefit of folks just starting on the nizoral + finasteride combo.

G

mpower90069 said:

I didn't quite dodge it, had I started finasteride in 2007 maybe then I could claim that. I am not expecting finasteride to regrow any more past the 1 year mark, but if it continues to do so 10+ years later you will hear no complaints from me.

Surprisingly most people didn't really notice how thin it was getting on the crown. My doctor who prescribed me finasteride certainly did though. Now a days I am fairly confident. Under your average lighting conditions my hair typically looks normal; however, under direct sun you can see some of my scalp (as shown in the after picture in the original post). It is what it is, hopefully the addition of rogaine foam will help fill in the crown a bit more as well. If finasteride can maintain what I have currently I really cant complain at this point, even if it doesn't continue to thicken hairs.

If I may ask mpower90069, why not include the addition of rogaine foam or generic minoxidil liquid into your routine? It will only benefit you further, I wish I had been consistent with rogaine throughout these past two years.

Thanks for the good wishes, and best of luck to you as well!

mrfifs said:

I do not experience shedding issues applying nizoral 2% daily. However, I will probably be cutting down on nizoral from everyday to perahps every other day. Only because it tends to dry out my hair

mrfifs

Reaction score
cmf0106 said:
mpower90069 said:

I didn't quite dodge it, had I started finasteride in 2007 maybe then I could claim that. I am not expecting finasteride to regrow any more past the 1 year mark, but if it continues to do so 10+ years later you will hear no complaints from me.

Surprisingly most people didn't really notice how thin it was getting on the crown. My doctor who prescribed me finasteride certainly did though. Now a days I am fairly confident. Under your average lighting conditions my hair typically looks normal; however, under direct sun you can see some of my scalp (as shown in the after picture in the original post). It is what it is, hopefully the addition of rogaine foam will help fill in the crown a bit more as well. If finasteride can maintain what I have currently I really cant complain at this point, even if it doesn't continue to thicken hairs.

If I may ask mpower90069, why not include the addition of rogaine foam or generic minoxidil liquid into your routine? It will only benefit you further, I wish I had been consistent with rogaine throughout these past two years.

Thanks for the good wishes, and best of luck to you as well!

mrfifs said:

I do not experience shedding issues applying nizoral 2% daily. However, I will probably be cutting down on nizoral from everyday to perahps every other day. Only because it tends to dry out my hair

good bro. im experiencing shedding (lots of it) currently on big 3. i think its the minoxidil, maybe. i may be wrong. i hope in months to come, my hair will be better.

mpower90069

Reaction score
I started finasteride + Nizoral on Jan 1st, 2012, and introduced the lasercomb two weeks later. My Doctor suggested I wait on Rogaine, pending results of finasteride @ 6 months. To be honest, I would prefer to avoid Rogaine (if at all possible), but will leave it as the nuclear option, in case finasteride can't help me thicken up the top of my head.

Out of curiosity, did you see thickening all over, or just the crown? Did you add density (or quality) to the hair at the front or sides?

The road to hair stabilization/regrowth is a long one.... so I am bracing myself for a long 1-2 years before assessing progress.

raptor-x

Reaction score
may i ask u whether u experience any changes in ur hair color ? i mean i have seen some topics complain about changing in hair color either become darker or lighter,so what for u?

- - - Updated -- -

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the key is removing that dht from the source, the scalp. That is the most effective. Wish I could use nizoral 2% daily. Getting it formulated such that I can without having to shampoo daily.

- - - Updated - - -

QUESTION so although you have hair combed over that prev balding area has this current regimen REGROWN hair in the areas that were bald???