2 weeks off dutasteride - What i've noticed

VWdude

Reaction score
So its been two weeks since I took my last dose of dutasteride... been doing it 3x a week for a little over 2 years when I found that finasteride was losing its mojo.

Around the same time that I quit, I started taking some supplements to boost my libido. I was sure Avodart had a role in my lack of sex drive.

What I started taking was a Ginseng/Maca combo supplement at its recommended dosage on the bottle as well as an Amino Acid complex which includes L'Arginine.

I can honestly say my libido has increased substantially and the quality of my erections have definitely spiked up too. I've actually recommended L'arginine alone to a friend in his mid 20's who was experiencing p**rn related ED (he never touched finasteride/dutasteride in his life) and he reported that it worked well for him.

It could also be that my body is balancing out it's hormones too which has impacted my libido positively. I noticed better sleep quality too has well more mental clarity since I stopped taking dutasteride and started taking the supplements mentioned above. Keep in mind also, I exercise regularly.

In case anyone is wondering - my regimen now currently consists of minoxidil 5% 2x/day and Nizoral 2% 3x/week as well as Alpecin caffeine shampoo on my nizoral off days. I can't comment too much on Alpecin, but the after shampoo liquid feels really good on my scalp afterwards. Although it took some time for my scalp to get used to it.

So just to recap, here's some things you may want to check out that could help jump start your libido:

Maca (by itself or with Ginseng)
L'arginine (can be taken alone or in an amino acid complex) - I throw in an amino acid complex as part of a pre-workout supplement. Really helps with better pumps/focus.
Zinc - Can't comment too much on this, but after further research i've added it to my daily supplement regimen.

Hope this helps some people out. Definitely worth a shot even if you continue taking finasteride/dutasteride

I can't say that finasteride/dutasteride was the sole factor of any ED issues I had, as I've been diagnosed with anxiety/ocd and I'm privy to that playing a role in ED.. But I think taking it out of the mix has helped out.

P.S

I wonder if Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is doing anything about his male pattern baldness.

Reaction score
Are you quitting dutasteride for good? How long were you on finasteride before switching to dutasteride and what was your dosage? Sorry for all the questions, glad to hear your libido is b you!

VWdude

Reaction score
Are you quitting dutasteride for good? How long were you on finasteride before switching to dutasteride and what was your dosage? Sorry for all the questions, glad to hear your libido is b you!

Pretty sure I won't go back to dutasteride again. At first it was an experiment (that lasted 2 years). Was on finasteride for a little over 6 years before switching to dutasteride. dutasteride is some pretty potent stuff! Going to see how well I do with my current regimen and maybe switch back to propecia/proscar if I feel like I need to.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you see any better results with dutasteride?

Any hairline destruction?

Which Doctor recommended dutasteride and why at 3x a week?

Thanks, I remember you posting from 2005-2006

bibz

Established Member
Reaction score
For christ SAKE! stop with this ****ing hairline destruction myth dumbass!
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/s...607?sect=X6015

Placebo -4.9 ± 7.89
0.02mg dutasteride 17.1 ± 7.74
0.1mg dutasteride 63.0 ± 7.67
0.5mg dutasteride 89.6 ± 7.87
1mg finasteride - 56.5 ± 8.12

Global Assessment of Improvement From Baseline to Week 24 Assessed for Frontal View : - dutasteride 0.5mg : 0.58
- finasteride 1mg : 0.34

Change From Baseline in Investigator Photographic Assessment Questionnaire (IPAQ) Scores Assessed at Week 24 for Frontal View:
- dutasteride 0.5mg : 1.11
- finasteride 1mg : 0.88

ADVERSE EVENTS:
Libido decreased: -dutasteride 0.5mg :3.26% -finasteride 1mg :5.03% -Placebo :1.1%
Erectyle dysfunction:-dutasteride 0.5mg :5.43% -finasteride 1mg :5.59% -Placebo :3.87%

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For christ SAKE! stop with this ****ing hairline destruction myth dumbass!
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/s...607?sect=X6015

Placebo -4.9 ± 7.89
0.02mg dutasteride 17.1 ± 7.74
0.1mg dutasteride 63.0 ± 7.67
0.5mg dutasteride 89.6 ± 7.87
1mg finasteride - 56.5 ± 8.12

Global Assessment of Improvement From Baseline to Week 24 Assessed for Frontal View : - dutasteride 0.5mg : 0.58
- finasteride 1mg : 0.34

Change From Baseline in Investigator Photographic Assessment Questionnaire (IPAQ) Scores Assessed at Week 24 for Frontal View:
- dutasteride 0.5mg : 1.11
- finasteride 1mg : 0.88

ADVERSE EVENTS:
Libido decreased: -dutasteride 0.5mg :3.26% -finasteride 1mg :5.03% -Placebo :1.1%
Erectyle dysfunction:-dutasteride 0.5mg :5.43% -finasteride 1mg :5.59% -Placebo :3.87%

That's some great info. But y u so mad bro? Lol

VWdude

Reaction score
Did you see any better results with dutasteride?

Any hairline destruction?

Which Doctor recommended dutasteride and why at 3x a week?

Thanks, I remember you posting from 2005-2006

Hey dude, DR.Robert Jones in the Toronto area originally prescribed it to me for daily usage. I got a second opinion from Dr.Cotterill (also in Toronto) and he stated taking avodart everyday at that may be overkill, especially with its sensationalized half-life. For the first two weeks I was on it, I took it everyday. I noticed nipple soreness and decided to switch to 3x a week which I was planning on doing anyways and settled at 3x/week. I didn't notice any nipple soreness anymore. I may have had better luck with taking it once a day but I found it too risky and didn't want any side effects. It's been almost 3 weeks off it and I'm feeling good, and the libido seems pretty strong.

Regarding the hairline destruction - No.. never got that. That was the one thing I was worried about though. During the time when I was taking finasteride, I would slack on using nizoral and minoxidil and I think that may have messed things up for me. If I was more diligent with them I may not have experimented with durty dutasteride.

I still think one of these days i'll get a hair transplant in the frontal region... but not yet. It does feel good to be off finasteride/dutasteride though.

Hair, do you even grow, bro?