2 week Shed. wtf...

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
sigh...i'm still shedding... :freaked: what causes this shed? minoxidil or finasteride? been using both since around 2 weeks now. just 3 - 4 days ago started shedding at least a 100 hair :shock: a day when washing. hair thinner than ever. feels like my hairloss has just increased with the meds. what do i do to make the shed go away?... feels like a t.e shed now. when i carry out the pull test my hair continues to fall out.another week to 2 weeks of this shed and i shall be completely bald! :x ...what the hell am i supposed to be maintaining then !! :-x

it this normal? shedding at only 2 weeks of treatment? and how long does it go on...plus..does this hair grow back?..

i hear this shedding is not to be taken as a good sign or bad and that its only a t.e induced by the meds. :!:

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
um , read this on HLH ...this right? too much contradicting stuff..

-----------------------------------------

When the hair follicle starts growing a new hair it has to first get rid of the old hair, which is still attached to the hair follicle. When this happens to many hair follicles at the same time you see a lot of hair falling out which is what causes shedding. So instead of these hairs falling out gradually at different times, they all fall out together giving you the impression that you are losing more hair.

The reality is that this hair had stopped growing and was due to fall out anyway. So shedding is a positive sign and means that you are responding well to treatment. In fact its ironic that people who respond the best to treatments often lose the most hair in the beginning. This often leads to people going off their treatment program when they should stay on it.

Shedding should last no longer than 4-6 weeks and usually occurs about 6 weeks into a hair loss treatment program. If you are still shedding a lot of hair after 2 months you should consult with your physician, as it may not be a shed. Shedding can also reoccur periodically since hairs that were put into the growth cycle at the same time have a synchronized growth cycle so they tend to go into the resting phase at the same time. This tapers off after a while. However be aware that its normal to lose between 50-100 hairs every day due to this natural growth process.

Bottom line is that shedding is normal and usually is a sign of good things to come. However if you are experiencing any redness or intense itching or irritation consult with your physician.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
You need to calm down. I know it's hard to deal with this stuff but I suggest you set a date/time in the future to assess your situation and not before. Today is the 10th of July. Do not look at your hair and/or how much you shed until the 10th of October. Stick with your regimen blindly till then.

You can do it!

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks pal.. :)

gonna do as you said though its very hard to ignore it when you're shedding in these quantities. never lost this much hair ever. used to lose upto 40 before this finasteride/minoxidil shed. now its at least 100/day.

i dropped minoxidil though...used it for 2 weeks but its too much of a bother. plus i hear it only brings out peach fuzz..

so its just finasteride now..