2% vs %5 Minoxidil

Snidely

Reaction score
I've been on 2% minoxidil for approx 2 months now and i was wondering if I switched to 5% would this effect my hair in any way? Want to switch to 5% but I'm worried I might lose the benefits I got from 2%. Any advice? Does it matter b/c it's primarily the same product?

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Snidely said:
I've been on 2% minoxidil for approx 2 months now and i was wondering if I switched to 5% would this effect my hair in any way? Want to switch to 5% but I'm worried I might lose the benefits I got from 2%. Any advice? Does it matter b/c it's primarily the same product?
Switching to 5% minoxidil will more than likely give you better results in growth. Try it. It won't hurt. Remember, minoxidil is supposed to be dose dependant so the higher the concentration the better the results. I've been using Dr. Lee's 15% Xandrox and I am very impressed with the results. My hairline is coming back fast and with dense growth too. Terminal hairs not vellous. :D :D :D

G

Snidely said:

There is data on this. 5% is the way to go.

Snidely

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks guys, I was an avacor user and found out they were using 2% minoxidil the whole time. Only problem is they overcharged everyone.(Bunch of weasels)
i'll make the switch to 5%.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Using 2% minoxidil is like going to a bar and ordering half a beer.

5% has been proven EXTREMELY safe, enough to be sold over the counter without a prescription. And, it gives significantly better results that have been well documented. If you are going to go through the time to apply minoxidil everyday, might as well go 5%. You really have nothing to lose, it costs about the same, more effective, and no documented sides to be concerned with over and above those with 2%.

Jimmy5000

Reaction score
no documented sides to be concerned with over and above those with 2%

I had really bad side effects when I tried going straight for the 5%. Hands and feet got swollen and broke out in rashes, headaches and stomach pains too. I stopped using it for about 6 months then decided to try the 2%. I had NO side effects. After about 3 months I moved onto 5%. I guess for some people like me, you have to ease into using the 5%. Just sharing for those who think that they can't use 5% because they are having bad side effects.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I hear you, Jimmy. I have to back off that initial statement I made that you quoted. I can completely understand how some might have reactions to 5% that they would not have with 2%.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
YO KALIKA! Were you using minoxidil before the X15? If so, for how long? Important to know not just if X15 works, but if it works better than 5% (for those who've been on 5% for long time). You dig?

And yeah baby yeah. minoxidil 5% gives 40 or 45% better results than 2%. For me, rogaine or generic 5% stayed wet on the head for too long and caused me bad itchings. May not be an issue for you, but if it is, Dr.Lee's minoxidil (http://www.minoxidil.com) can be a blessin.' He uses a propylene glycol % (30%) that's the same as in 2% minoxidil formulas. Most 5% minoxs' use 50% PG, which can spell trouble for some.

Snidely

Reaction score
i was going to switch to 5% but it was soo greasy. I couldn't wear it during the day. I went on Dr Lee's website and he has 5% minoxidil without retinoic acid. is retinoic acid what makes your hair look greasy? any generic minoxidil products in 5% that aren't greasy?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Snidely said:
i was going to switch to 5% but it was soo greasy. I couldn't wear it during the day. I went on Dr Lee's website and he has 5% minoxidil without retinoic acid. is retinoic acid what makes your hair look greasy? any generic minoxidil products in 5% that aren't greasy?

No, it's not the retinoic acid that makes your hair greasy, it is the PPG. most 5% minoxidil normally have 50% PPG in their solution. If you go the Dr Lee route, his 5% minoxidil has only 30% PPG and is a LOT less greasier.

Dr Lee also has a PPG-free mixture, but despite what you may think this IS GREASY. It is not intended for people who are seeking less grease, it is intended for people who have bad reactions and get irritation from the PPG in other minoxidil formulations. In this formulation, he substitutes a vitamin e compound for the PPG so it won't irritate, but the vitamin e is just as greasy as PPG.

Cassin

Reaction score
I have tried two generic versions of minoxidil and Rogaine. Rogaine is by far less greasy from what I have tried.

I even have several bottles of generic left that I will probably never use because of how greasy they are in comparison.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
NilesTilden said:
YO KALIKA! Were you using minoxidil before the X15? If so, for how long? Important to know not just if X15 works, but if it works better than 5% (for those who've been on 5% for long time). You dig?

And yeah baby yeah. minoxidil 5% gives 40 or 45% better results than 2%. For me, rogaine or generic 5% stayed wet on the head for too long and caused me bad itchings. May not be an issue for you, but if it is, Dr.Lee's minoxidil (http://www.minoxidil.com) can be a blessin.' He uses a propylene glycol % (30%) that's the same as in 2% minoxidil formulas. Most 5% minoxs' use 50% PG, which can spell trouble for some.
Yes, I do remember using 5% minoxidil a while back for a few months and I have to tell you that it doesn't compare to 15% Xandrox. I believe that 15% Xandrox is a very superior product. :D :D

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr Lee also has a PPG-free mixture, but despite what you may think this IS GREASY. It is not intended for people who are seeking less grease, it is intended for people who have bad reactions and get irritation from the PPG in other minoxidil formulations. In this formulation, he substitutes a vitamin e compound for the PPG so it won't irritate, but the vitamin e is just as greasy as PPG.

I sorry sir, but you mistaken. All of lee's have vitamin e. The PG free minoxidil has glycerin instead of PG, that's what make it so greasy.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
NilesTilden said:

I sorry sir, but you mistaken. All of lee's have vitamin e. The PG free minoxidil has glycerin instead of PG, that's what make it so greasy.
You are correct. The vitamin E is supposed to lengthen its shelf life though. :hairy: :hairy: :hairy:

The Gardener

Reaction score
kalika said:
NilesTilden said:

You are correct. The vitamin E is supposed to lengthen its shelf life though. :hairy: :hairy: :hairy:

Thank you sirs for the correction. You are absolutely right. I meant glycerin, but had a brain fart and typed vitamin e. I chalk up my error to my recently turning 35. No, I am not getting senile, just still recovering from a night of excess, ahem! Even though I mixed up my substance names, my advice is general advice is still correct. If you are seeking a less greasy minoxidil, use Dr Lee's NORMAL 5% formulation, and NOT his PPG-free formulation.