2 Months Of Saw Palmetto - Hair Thinner Then Ever

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So ive been taking Saw Palmetto mostly in the form of the multi vitamin from Regenepure since approximately November 14th. (i really need to start documenting my efforts better)

Since then I swear ive noticed thinning in the frontal area of my head (the area where i have seen hair loss and thinning). I wasnt sure if this was attributed to SP or if this was a natural hair loss progression.

A week ago i introduced PalmettoGuard at 2 pills a day. Its a mixture of 160MG sp and i think 50MG beta sitosterol and some nettle.

Not right away but a few days later ive been noticing mild itching and burning in the frontal area of my head (where im thinning) im worried that this is an indication things are getting worse. The burning/itching/tingling comes and goes, like now its not there but during the day it flares up. Im honestly not sure if its that sort of DHT/male pattern baldness itch we all dread or just things being dry... but then again i dont experience any sort of burning/itching on the top and back of my scalp.

Im thinking Beta sitosterol is not for me and possibly the same with SP. But its only been a few months, most people say give things 4 months to a year minimum to see results... but if im noticing things getting worse should that be an indication to stop?

For whats its worth the back half of my head and crown have had no adverse reactions but those dont seem to be my problem area anyways.

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A good few years ago I took SP supplements although I don't remember if standardized extracts or not..but I had to stop due to severe acne. The acne went as soon as I stopped so I knw it had to be that. Have you tried breaking open SP capsules and applying to scalp after dermarolling? It didn't work for me but I have heard some ppl have seen slight results with that.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually i had the GNC capsules that i did break open and apply for a few days... sort of like a a ZIX - it had zinc,, SP, pumpkin seed and i think copper... after about 4 days my head ITCHED.

Anyways guys just an update... after monday and it itching I stopped taking the SP for a few days. Still had mild itching. Still applying Minoxidil but in limited areas to see if the other areas dont itch... they did still itch.

I decided to try the nizoral 1% i had lying around... i tried it a few years ago and i remember it making my head itch after so i never used it again. This time i used it and it was like a god send... my hair feels great with barely any itching. I wont use it again for almost a full week, i know the problem with over use of this stuff.

Now the part i hate: indecision. What do i do?! Do i go back on SP - do i maybe start finasteride... do i get a topical like S5 or ZIX... too many options! I hate not knowing what direction to take. And i guess even worse, it takes months and months to see results and in the mean time things can get worse while the product youre using might still be working. Ugh.

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Checkers2 - this is precisely my dilemma. There's so many option and each one takes ages to see results with so you don't know whether to keep going with the one you're on (something in back of mind keeps saying 'it's clearly not working so try X, Y or Z) and all the while your hair just keeps getting thinner and thinner. It's like a lottery which of the dozens of options will work for you. I need to consult my crystal ball methinks :/

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually i had the GNC capsules that i did break open and apply for a few days... sort of like a a ZIX - it had zinc,, SP, pumpkin seed and i think copper... after about 4 days my head ITCHED.

Anyways guys just an update... after monday and it itching I stopped taking the SP for a few days. Still had mild itching. Still applying Minoxidil but in limited areas to see if the other areas dont itch... they did still itch.

I decided to try the nizoral 1% i had lying around... i tried it a few years ago and i remember it making my head itch after so i never used it again. This time i used it and it was like a god send... my hair feels great with barely any itching. I wont use it again for almost a full week, i know the problem with over use of this stuff.

Now the part i hate: indecision. What do i do?! Do i go back on SP - do i maybe start finasteride... do i get a topical like S5 or ZIX... too many options! I hate not knowing what direction to take. And i guess even worse, it takes months and months to see results and in the mean time things can get worse while the product youre using might still be working. Ugh.

@checkers2 you can probably use both zix and S5 together, i am under the impression S5 is pretty cheap and zix is dirt cheap. There was a study showing the dht was decreased using zix (b6 + zinc), im guessing s5 has complimentary effects as well though ive never tried it.

Zix really eliminated all the itch for me, and restored my scalp to looking like it used to, as opposed to red and inflammed. That when I suspected it started working and sure enough, the shedding dramatically reduced just a few days later.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
@checkers2 you can probably use both zix and S5 together, i am under the impression S5 is pretty cheap and zix is dirt cheap. There was a study showing the dht was decreased using zix (b6 + zinc), im guessing s5 has complimentary effects as well though ive never tried it.

Zix really eliminated all the itch for me, and restored my scalp to looking like it used to, as opposed to red and inflammed. That when I suspected it started working and sure enough, the shedding dramatically reduced just a few days later.

Hey Worm, thank you for chiming in. I read your posts on your usage of zinc and b6 - ive ordered both bottles (same exact ones you recommended) both according to tracking info arrived today.

Going to get some distilled water and ethanol and try em out. I'd like to get S5... but im already adding too much stuff into my routine and wont be able to tell whats working and whats not. So maybe S5 towards the end of April or May. I dont know.

Thats the problem with these treatments, from what everyone says it takes 6+ months to see any results and its not like you get encouragement or signs youre on the right path along the way. If there were some early indicators that a particular treatment was working that would be a god send.