2 months into finasteride, chest pain and poss neuro sides

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
Chest pains are plain scary. They aren't bad or a consistent pain, but it does come and go. The slight tenderness doesn't go though.

Neuro side effects! I read a report linked from here in quite a few posts a year ago. This one...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... ds=9918575

and...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=10945840

The Finasteride blocking anticonvulsant (production I think, I'm not very up on the science) is what is alarming me most.

A week ago I developed a non consistent eyelid twitch. Not violent, just very noticable, very annoying.....and still hasn't left. Sometimes it's on and off for hours. Twitch, muscle spasm, convulsion.

I have never had it before. Obviously finasteride isn't directly causing it. But I believe it's blocking of some long named anticonvulsion enzyme is preventing my body from resolving/masking the convulsion. Please excuse my lack of scientific terminology. :D

I found, then succesfully lost, a post on here by a guy who was/is on finasteride and made a passing comment that he had an eyelid twitch every so often. Mine is annoyingly regular. Weird how it's the same place though.

Annnnyway. I don't want gyno. I don't want spasms. I don't want to have to think about have I got them or haven't I either. I would rather be norwood infinity with nothing to actually worry about lol. The hairloss battle is done, I'm bald, freedom, woohoo!

No seriously. I would have probably stuck to finasteride, I definitely feel I could maintain what I have. Zero itchyness, zero redness, hair feels good. I have diffuse thinning btw. Had considerable itchyness and redness before doing anything. I added T-Gel a week ago but I contribute all the improvement to finasteride. T-Gel does feel much better than my regular/old shampoo.

I wish I could stick to finasteride but I don't think I can. And I do think I can accept whatever hair (currently buzz cut to no 2) for not having to worry about anything else.

It's weird how the mind puts enphasis on stuff. First it's HAIR don't let that sh*t go! Now it's WHOAH don't want boobies now do we.

Also sucks cos I got through a considerable acne breakout 6 weeks in ish. :/ Hope I don't get that coming off of it.

This site has helped me a lot in learning about hairloss. Big thanks to HairLossTalk.com.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about using topicals in place of finasteride?

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah. And I possibly will go with topicals. But I'm not sure yet. I might make the decision of giving hairloss zero time in my life and just forget it altogether. I dunno. :/

As I'm educated to believe finasteride is for keeping and minoxidil etc is for regrowing....do you think I could hold onto what I have with topicals alone?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think you could stop it without propecia...i do beleive that HairLossTalk.com just uses rev and spironolactone and he has stopped his hairloss ..but i dont know if that was contributed to propecia which he used to use.

Axon

Reaction score
I had some chest "sensation" during the early weeks of my Finasteride treatment. Never really developed into anything.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
I can understand your not wanting to use Propecia. Totally your call.

If I were you, I'd take Blue's advice and mimic HairLossTalk.com's regimen: Revivogen and spironolactone. Very small chance of side effects, should maintain what you have, not too inconvenient. Just use those two things and don't think about your hairloss and you should be set.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Yeah, I think I will blatantly copy HairLossTalk.com's regime if I drop finasteride. It has to be the non finasteride route, he runs the site afterall. :)

I don't think HairLossTalk.com has described his hypersensitive reaction to Propecia 2.5 years in. That would be good to know. But I can understand if he doesn't want to.

Does anybody know if considerable pain is an absolute requirement to develop gyno? Like ow pain. Real discomfort pain. Zinging nipples etc. OR Can gyno develop totally painlessly? *scare factor*

I do realise taking a drug with potential side effects can make you paranoid of them. You notice/pay attention to the things it could be effecting more. Like when you're learning to drive, you notice loads of other learners on the road. *ramble*

;)

I'm gonna go to my Doctor first about chest pain. He wanted to see me anyway cos he was interested if I was going to take up propecia 2 months ago. I can't see him telling me something I don't know. *Doctor looks at chest, doesn't resemble a girls, you're fine!*

The eyelid twitch has gotten much less frequent and much less prolonged. I'm now confident that could go completely and would be willing to give it time.

dfass

Reaction score
sonic please read this

man i just started having these muscle spasms under my left eye, kinda of like the muscle under my eye, and it is very noticeable. you think this is because of propecia , i am on duasteride for a month.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I had spasms in the muscles under my left eye as well, about 3 or 4 years ago. They were so bad I went to see a Doctor, and he pretty much told me that it was completely organic, i.e. there was nothing he could do about it. He said it is just a twitch, just like a hiccup is in your throat.

THEN, he said, having given me the standard medical diagnosis he would tell me what he THOUGHT was the reason behind it. He told me it is very common and from his anecdotal experience under-eye twitches are generally tied to lack of sleep. No, not from staying up one night really late, but from cutting corners with the sleep you need over the course of weeks.

Pay attention to your sleeping habits, try to get better sleep in. See if it has any effect. It helped me... I never really felt tired, but after getting in only 5 or 6 hours of sleep on average and then making a point of getting in at least 7, the twitching went away.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok I tried readin that first article and it all went straight over my head.... Can anyone sum it up in a non technical fasion?