2 Month Update - 1000 Grafts - How Am I Doing?

athlete97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I recently had an FUE transplant to fill in some of my temple recession. I went to Dr Nadimi at Chicago Hair Institute and I followed everything to a T in order to boost the best results possible. The doctor recommended a conservative approach for the hairline since I am a bit younger to be receiving a transplant.

About me:
-22 year old male
-Taking Finasteride 1 mg ED, Nizoral, Minoxidil for 3 years

As you can see in the before pictures, I did not have that much visible loss (even though I rocked the common comb over.) I am afraid that the doctor went far too conservative as she "densely packed" the temples with 1000 grafts. I am worried that I have done all this work for pretty much nothing and am feeling pretty shitty lately.

I am a week away from being on month 2 post hair transplant. I also noticed that I am now starting to thin out a bit in the crown which is great...

I know I am pretty early for results but when you get a transplant you see where the hair will eventually grow and thicken. I basically paid $8K to hardly fill in the temples and still have a prominent "M" shaped hairline which is pretty detrimental to my self confidence at such a young age. I don't really know what to do.

Last edited:

athlete97

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel as if for some reason I have lost more ground after the transplant, not sure if this is shock loss related or what is going on. Been on Finasteride for 3 years, never seen the horseshoe pattern before until I got my whole head shaved for the FUE. Really worried this will look like sh*t. Thanks

athlete97

My Regimen
Reaction score
You just need to tough it out for a few months. You wont really know what the results will be like until about 6 months.

Appreciate the response. However, you can see the pattern that the hair will grow in immediately post OP. Normally guys have that circle hairline shape after a transplant, not the same M receding pattern.

Also, is it possible to get shock loss on the crown even though I only got an FUE on the hairline? Seems like my crown is thinning very fast now. Thanks!

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really know to be honest. I haven't really seen a reaction like that in 2 months so I suppose it could well be shock loss. If it is it will grow back but may take a few months. Are you still taking meds? I know if you stop it can send you in a spiral of losses. Anyway 8k is way too much for 1k grafts.

athlete97

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really know to be honest. I haven't really seen a reaction like that in 2 months so I suppose it could well be shock loss. If it is it will grow back but may take a few months. Are you still taking meds? I know if you stop it can send you in a spiral of losses. Anyway 8k is way too much for 1k grafts.

I think I got less than 1000, probably around 800. I went with one of the most expensive doctors and feel like I couldve gotten better results with an overseas one lol. Yeah I am on finasteride still

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At two months you will look your worst, give it another 4 months then you should have an idea on its success.

Schmiggy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the transplanted area this early in. As to the horseshoe, most likely once you shaved down it “eliminated” those dying follicles that we’re just hanging on. You would’ve gotten to this point eventually. The meds don’t work for everyone. Keep taking them and reevaluate in a year. You’re looking like a diffuse thinner so you’ll probably need a bigger procedure to cover more area down the road. Don’t be discouraged. You’ve got enough there to work with and possibly get back.