2.5mg of Finasteride a day. Penny for your thoughts?

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeyo, y'all. A few weeks ago I started taking 2.5mg of Finasteride a day as opposed to 1.25mg because after a year of taking 1.25mg finasteride, I've noticed that my hair is still thinning slightly.

Does anyone else here take more than 1mg of finasteride and what have your results been like? What do you think about the long-term side effects of finasteride, esp. with a slightly increased dosage?

I've done some research but I haven't found anything officially damning or conclusive.

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Well according to studies there is no difference between taking 1mg vs. 5 mg. You are blocking the same amount of DHT.

Heres hoping you dontt get sides...

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
The difference between 1mg of finasteride and 5mg of finasteride in reducing DHT levels is around 1%. So... yeah. Not really much of a difference. lol

jackjones

Reaction score
I wouldnt bother dosing up man, Ive been on .5mg of dutasteride for just over 2 years straight and still losing a lil amount, enough to make me research things further and from what I can see(or read) is finasteride and dutasteride only reduce scalp dht so much (60%)?? dunno where I got that figure from probably wrong but I thought its in an around that, so what ive done and a lot of blokes on this site and others is to go back on the rogaine and add spironolactone and nizoral to the mix, Ive been using nizoral for a while but the spironolactone 5% seems to be doing the job, in other words its hitting it from both sides,

no point in having a shite sex drive and boobs for a few extra mil of finasteride,dosent make a difference..

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the posts. You're not benefiting yourself what-so-ever by having a larger dose.

Heck, some people question if 1mg is even necessary.

T

Timi

i think it's better to take finasteride 1,25mg Morning and 1,25mg evenning

and finasteride Topic 60ml Vodka 10mg finasteride

Timi

moonbase

Reaction score
Maybe adding Dutasteride (weekly or topically) to you regimen of 1mg finasteride might aid you. I have no personal experience with dutasteride but I am sure there are a few who take it around here that might be able to give you advice.

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting. It would save me a bundle to use 1.25mg of finasteride as opposed to 2.5mg. But errrrgghh--I am still losing my hair as well, so I'm very hesitant to use less :-(

I am now considering using spironolactone as well. However adding Dutasteride to a finasteride regimine just seems like a bad idea, doesn't it? What do you think?

What's the big difference between Dutasteride and finasteride?

Also how long does your average supply of spironolactone last you>?

Thanks in advance for the advice everyone.

Lux

Reaction score
how about u do some blood tests before and after taking dutasteride? do a blood test to see ur dht level and add dutasteride in case of a high dht level.
Then do a blood test again after 6 months with dutasteride and see what changes u have. It's better than just taking a pill and wondering whether it's the right decision or not. )

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a 2.5mg today daily....I'm 46 and need to start getting more aggressive with the dosages. With 1.25mg still thinning out and at this time don't want to try dutasteride, unless I have to....

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well after 1 year at 2.5mg, I really did not see any regrowth and still gradually getting thinner after 11 years on finasteride. Might go back to 1.25 mg.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you find out your're losing ground? Is it by counting the hairs you lose or is it that you have pics of your bald spot getting bigger? If it is the former, I wouldn't bother too much. Take pics and observe for a few months to find out if you really lose it. I myself am struggling to find out if my finasteride works at the low dose I'm currently using. I think one shouldn't expect to lose 10 hairs only.

If it is the latter than I would stay at the higher dose. Bernstein medical center recommends taking half a Proscar to people whose Propecia loses effectiveness. Also (I don't know if I'm allowed to mention him) Spencer Kobren talks of upping the dose, he apparently uses 5mg EOD.

If you have just used 2,5mg for a couple of weeks I would try to continue that to find out if it works.

Good luck

T

Timi

Thinning Sucks said:
Well after 1 year at 2.5mg, I really did not see any regrowth and still gradually getting thinner after 11 years on finasteride. Might go back to 1.25 mg.

more finasteride ist not better
i have make the same error!
the Hairs get thinnig out and looks as straw
the same for 4Years with Dutasterid, Hairs Yellowish and straw

0,25mg is enough

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I plan on going back to 1.25mg from 2.5mg. Ran it for a year at his dosage. Hair basically stable, but I think 1.25 did the same. Don't need extra crap in body that can potentially cause long term damage. Plus save some money. I'll run it for a while to see....maybe I'll go back to 2.5mg again in future.

Can I just reduce the dosage back immediately or do I need to taper it back slowly to 1.25mg?

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

Ever get your answer as to whether you should taper off?

I am planning to ask my doctor this Thursday about personally switching from 2.5 mg back to 1.25 mg.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gene_Fighter said:
Yeyo, y'all. A few weeks ago I started taking 2.5mg of Finasteride a day as opposed to 1.25mg because after a year of taking 1.25mg finasteride, I've noticed that my hair is still thinning slightly.

Hey thanks for reminding me! When I go the store later today, I need to buy 2apples, 3oranges, 2pints of milk, 2boxes of cereal, and 3cans of soup. I may also buy 4cans of vienna sausage, but I haven't decided yet.

Hellboy666

Established Member
Reaction score
go to 5mg!