2-3 Years Into My Regime, Need Advice? Might Toss It All Together?

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll try and be brief... I have been on propecia for one year, then a three month break, then for these past six months. I have been using liquid minoxidil for I would say three years. Six months ago (and exactly seven days since restarting propecia) I developed dermatitis on my face (docs told me it was everything from rosacea to eczema) and I can't get rid of it. Tried everything! About six weeks ago I developed an incredibly dry and flaky scalp. It's everywhere, on my scalp, in my hair, it will constantly fall out if I rub my head continuously. I've tried nizoral, t-gel, head and shoulders, coconut oil. I'm about to pick up something called Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%?? I'm also going to switch from liquid minoxidil to the foam, though I don't hold out much hope as I took a week off from applying minoxidil and it didn't do squat! And yes, my hair is thinning more in these areas and I would say I'm loosing roughly 100 - 200 hairs a day, but it's hard to tell. Some days are better than others and I have long hair so counting them is a ball ache! I tried dissolving some off the flakes in alcohol to see if it was actually dry skin or minoxidil, and the flakes did not dissolve so I think that means that it is dry skin? Anyway, my question(s) are, has anyone ever heard of these symptoms as side effects coming on so far down the line? Or are these not side effects and in fact something else entirely? And, if I'm so far into my regime with very little results and my hair is slowly getting worse, is the writing on the wall and do you guys think it is time to toss treatment altogether? Sorry it's a bit long winded, but for those of you who can be arsed reading it, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
James I would bet it is the Minoxidil...I used Minoxidil 10yr ago, liquid, and was OK. Some mild itchiness but that was it. Used it for a month two months ago and had UNCONTROLLABLE itchiness, flaking, pain, etc. The foam doesn't cause these issues and I rub it in.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. The foam came yesterday and I used it last night, bit messy but hey! Don't you think it's strange though to develop these symptoms so long after using minoxidil (three years)? And have you ever heard of dermatitis as a side effect to either finasteride or minoxidil (either of the face or the scalp)? How long have you been on treatments?

Thanks, James.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. The foam came yesterday and I used it last night, bit messy but hey! Don't you think it's strange though to develop these symptoms so long after using minoxidil (three years)? And have you ever heard of dermatitis as a side effect to either finasteride or minoxidil (either of the face or the scalp)? How long have you been on treatments?

Thanks, James.

Finasteride is unrelated to the issue however I have heard people getting severely dry skin due to Duasteride, since it inhibits 5AR1 as well which is in the skin. Finasteride doesn't though. I would give your scalp a break, use gentle shampoos and healing oils for a week or two before using the foam. I used Minoxidil for crown thinning ten years ago for like six months and thankfully have not needed anything till now...been on Minoxidil for a little over two months now and started Finasteride a week ago. Taking .5mg/day.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again. I was thinking about taking a break, but isn't that not a good idea hair loss wise? I stopped finasteride for three months and the results were disastrous! I'll never get back to where I was. Might give it a week or two us using the foam and hope my scalp clears up on its own. As for my facial dermatitis, I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be? If there's no link to finasteride then where the f*** has it come from?! How old are you by the way? What's your thoughts on finasteride?

Thanks again.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, man! So I've that to look forward to? Great! I don't understand why it would cause a shed though? Is this kind of regarded as a fact if you will? I'm already losing ground around my hairline and my crown has been patchy as f*** for years, finasteride never helped much there.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, man! So I've that to look forward to? Great! I don't understand why it would cause a shed though? Is this kind of regarded as a fact if you will? I'm already losing ground around my hairline and my crown has been patchy as f*** for years, finasteride never helped much there.

It is not a fact. Just seems to happen. You need to just do it and not worry about the sheds. Minoxidil sheds are due to it remodeling the hair...buy Topikk in the mean time as concealer.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Toppik every single time I leave the house to go do something public, work, go out etc. I'm 29, been doing sh*t like this for nearly six years now, it is honestly draining and has turned me into a completely different person.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, I doubt I would even notice a shed at this point. I read on hear people freaking out about losing 5 - 20 hairs or some sh*t like that? You should see my shower plug hole, I've contemplated taking a photograph and posting it on here, but why bother...

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would switching from liquid to foam cause a shed?

A lot of people have said this, and it makes sense that the foam might not absorb as well due to the different vehicle and how it just dries out so quickly.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well anyway, I've made the switch. Too early to tell yet regarding the flaky scalp issue but if anyone cares, I'll let you know whether or not I encounter a noticeable shed... f*** sake!!