19 Years Old- Bought Minoxidil, Need Advice Before Applying.

MilwaukeeRoad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I decided to double-down, and fight hair loss! I've definitely noticed recession over the past two years- My temples are completely gone, and my frontal scalp has receded. I've had just as many family members with hair loss than those with full heads of hair, though few of them went fully bald. I still have a lot of hair, most of it thick- So, this is the perfect time to start with 5% Minoxidil, right?

Well, my questions are as such. 1. How should I apply it? 2. Can previously-healthy hair follicles become dependent on it, and 3. I have an appointment with a doctor about hair loss in December- should I just wait until then before I start taking precautions?

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I decided to double-down, and fight hair loss! I've definitely noticed recession over the past two years- My temples are completely gone, and my frontal scalp has receded. I've had just as many family members with hair loss than those with full heads of hair, though few of them went fully bald. I still have a lot of hair, most of it thick- So, this is the perfect time to start with 5% Minoxidil, right?

Well, my questions are as such. 1. How should I apply it? 2. Can previously-healthy hair follicles become dependent on it, and 3. I have an appointment with a doctor about hair loss in December- should I just wait until then before I start taking precautions?

1. I think the best way is to try liquid first because it has better absorption (or at least they say so), but count with the possibility that it can cause you itchy scalp/dandruffs due to propyleneglycon - then you might want to change to foam without propyleneglycon
2. honestly I´m not sure about that - I think that its not known or its very individual
3. well in general its always better to talk to some dermatologist first I think and see what he can advise you before taking any own steps - but of course its up to you how you decide

I´m personaly going to see dermatologist in a few days, because I also tried Minoxidil (5%) for approxinately 3 months first before talking to any doctor and I think I just ruined my hairs with it - my frontline, where I applied it, thinned much more than it was before to the point that I can see my skin to shine through hairs and its almost time for me to start using Toppik or something like that. I´m glad that I didn´t put it on my thinned vertex also where I planned to apply it aswell in the beginning...
Count also with the possibility, that it can make you hairs worse due to shedding - which was also my case, but the problem is that I shedded almost for those 3 months of use without stopping and didn´t see any improvement + got dandruffs from it aswell, thats why I stopped about 20 days ago, because I was just affraid to putting it on my scalp again, I didn´t wanted to thinned my hairs more and make it worse. Maybe I had to endure it and continue with application or simply I just wasn´t a good responder to minoxidil - I don´t know, but I just didn´t wanted to risk more thinning...
But I don´t want to discourage or scary you with that just because I got bad results from minoxidil, you might have great results from it, but you won´t find out until you try it (unfortunately). Someone can have great results with it and someone don´t, its just everytime very individual I guess.

Anyway if you don´t want to wait and you want to try it now, I recommend you to be prudent - try it on your temples, or on the start of your hair frontline or just somewhere where you have not much hairs, apply it there for some days/weeks and see what it will do to you - you can also see, if it will irritate your scalp or not. Definitely I wouldn´t start to put it everywhere in the beginning...

MilwaukeeRoad

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. I think the best way is to try liquid first because it has better absorption (or at least they say so), but count with the possibility that it can cause you itchy scalp/dandruffs due to propyleneglycon - then you might want to change to foam without propyleneglycon
2. honestly I´m not sure about that - I think that its not known or its very individual
3. well in general its always better to talk to some dermatologist first I think and see what he can advise you before taking any own steps - but of course its up to you how you decide

I´m personaly going to see dermatologist in a few days, because I also tried Minoxidil (5%) for approxinately 3 months first before talking to any doctor and I think I just ruined my hairs with it - my frontline, where I applied it, thinned much more than it was before to the point that I can see my skin to shine through hairs and its almost time for me to start using Toppik or something like that. I´m glad that I didn´t put it on my thinned vertex also where I planned to apply it aswell in the beginning...
Count also with the possibility, that it can make you hairs worse due to shedding - which was also my case, but the problem is that I shedded almost for those 3 months of use without stopping and didn´t see any improvement + got dandruffs from it aswell, thats why I stopped about 20 days ago, because I was just affraid to putting it on my scalp again, I didn´t wanted to thinned my hairs more and make it worse. Maybe I had to endure it and continue with application or simply I just wasn´t a good responder to minoxidil - I don´t know, but I just didn´t wanted to risk more thinning...
But I don´t want to discourage or scary you with that just because I got bad results from minoxidil, you might have great results from it, but you won´t find out until you try it (unfortunately). Someone can have great results with it and someone don´t, its just everytime very individual I guess.

Anyway if you don´t want to wait and you want to try it now, I recommend you to be prudent - try it on your temples, or on the start of your hair frontline or just somewhere where you have not much hairs, apply it there for some days/weeks and see what it will do to you - you can also see, if it will irritate your scalp or not. Definitely I wouldn´t start to put it everywhere in the beginning...

Yeah, I bought the liquid stuff from the grocery store; maybe you could ask your derma those questions and get back to me? I can't find a good one who'll take my insurance and get me in before, like, Christmas.

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought the liquid stuff from the grocery store; maybe you could ask your derma those questions and get back to me? I can't find a good one who'll take my insurance and get me in before, like, Christmas.

I can ask about that point if minoxidil can make healthy hair follicles to become dependent on it, because I´m also curious about that. But as I said I think that point is unknown or its very individual, though to this day doctors after decades still don´t know how exactly minoxidil really works on hair follicles - theory about it enlargement blood vessels is very probable but not for 100% clear.
I hope I will be at least little lucky and I will get a good dermatologist, I think its kinda hard to find a good one (or at least in my country)...

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
get on finasteride as well. trust me, minoxidil. will work for a year before it goes downhill again. a hairloss battle w/o an anti androgen is a lost one

MilwaukeeRoad

My Regimen
Reaction score
get on finasteride as well. trust me, minoxidil. will work for a year before it goes downhill again. a hairloss battle w/o an anti androgen is a lost one
Working on getting a prescription for that, but I can't get in until December- Should I start taking minoxidil, or just wait?

MilwaukeeRoad

My Regimen
Reaction score
can u post pics of ur hair?
8yO7DUi.jpg

Two months ago, looks about the same today. No temples at all, rather high, but thick enough that it still needs thinned up top for styling
BNVqwoG.png

Me two years ago; note the fuller temples, but the similarly big forehead.

MilwaukeeRoad

My Regimen
Reaction score
UPDATE: Almost a year later, I've been talking a full cup of Rogaine 5% foam a day, right before bed. I thread it through my hair with my fingers, and get a little on the temples too. I have noticed little difference, perhaps a slight recession; I've begun growing my hair out and it is incredibly long, making it hard to tell. I will post updated pictures soon.