19 year old receding hairline?

flexonator

Reaction score
I'm 19 years old and ever since my friend cut my hair last week I noticed that my left and right hairlines don't match and are asymmetrical. I never really noticed the difference either.The one on the right looks fine as it is straight where as the one on the left isn't straight, it looks indented and wonky. Could this be because he cut it poorly? Maybe. Or could it be that my hairline is receding? I'm going to see a dermatologist next week hopefully but in the mean time i'd really appreciate your input. Im not going to lie this is pretty scary especially because im so young. IMG_6891.jpgIMG_6890.jpgIMG_6921.jpgIMG_6919.jpg

marcos72

Reaction score
Ask your dermatologist. It's difficult to see in the pictures and he will tell you if your hair is weaker or is just your natural hair line in which case you can just change your haircut.
Sometimes is just some temporary lost (like at the beginning at autumn) or stress. So, be calm until you see your doctor. Sometimes asking for non-professional opinion makes you feel more worried unnecessarily.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
flexonator, your hair looks fine. Even with your hair styled forward shown in the pics, it doesn't look like your hairline is receding. I suggest to preferably go make an appointment to see a hair transplant surgeon since they'll be able to tell you for sure 100% if you're in the earliest stages of balding or not, rather than a dermatologist.

flexonator

Reaction score
Yeh I understand that his opinion is more accurate and valid, i just wanted some instant feedback because I'm a paranoid person when it comes to my appearance. In general though I have a very slow stress life and mindset, I deal with tough situations well so I don't think it is stress. Maybe the temporary loss you describe? Can you be more specific on that though? Is it common?

- - - Updated - - -

@Eightballd
@Agustin Araujo

IMG_6954.jpgIMG_6955.jpgIMG_6956.jpgHere they are guys. This is a photo of me from a few weeks ago when I had longer hair. At this point I had no concern of a receding hairline because because of its puffiness and the fact it covered so much of my head. But I'm really prone to overthinking certain things so maybe I'm just being delusional guys. That's why I'm here for a second opinion. I appreciate your input guys. IMG_6282.jpg

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro your hair still covers your hairline haha, showing your hairline is pulling your hair back so we can see each individual strand in your scalp but I honestly don't think your are balding

flexonator

Reaction score
oh sorry about the pics i thought my hairline was being shown. My hair is slicked back and that is my hairline that you see. I guess more than anything my hairline is just maturing as my head is growing. I don't know. My genes have dictated that I will lose my hair someday (my dad started balding in his early 30s though) so I hope I have a decade or so with this hairline.

I'm doing everything I can to be as healthy as possible, i clean super clean, exercise tons and take vitamins etc, i dont smoke and i dont drink often. i guess thats all a man can really do.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I could drink myself into a stupor just looking at your hair state. Smoking is also beginning to look tempting.
Monitor occasionally but for now ( and hopefully never for your sake) leave the serious worrying up to us justifiably jealous, bonafide baldites.
oh sorry about the pics i thought my hairline was being shown. My hair is slicked back and that is my hairline that you see. I guess more than anything my hairline is just maturing as my head is growing. I don't know. My genes have dictated that I will lose my hair someday (my dad started balding in his early 30s though) so I hope I have a decade or so with this hairline.

I'm doing everything I can to be as healthy as possible, i clean super clean, exercise tons and take vitamins etc, i dont smoke and i dont drink often. i guess thats all a man can really do.

flexonator

Reaction score
I didn't mean to annoy or tick you guys off, that was never the intention of this post. I understand that there are people who have serious cases of male pattern baldness and I feel very bad for those people. I only made this post because I noticed that the hairline on my left side is noticably different to the one on my right which led me into a state of panic. It was a shock to me because my longish hair had covered up my hairline for so long that when I saw it buzzed it scared me. A combination of my family having a bad history of male pattern baldness and the fact that I see more and more young people like myself with receding hairlines only worsened my paranoia.

So I hope you guys can understand my concern and I apologise if I seemed oblivious to real and bad cases of balding.

Also I.D WALKER, what do you mean you could drink yourself into a stupor looking at my hair state. Is my haircut or hairstyle bad?

flexonator

Reaction score
Did you notice it in the pictures?

- - - Updated - - -

here are some more pics. my left hairline definitely seems more receded than my right. Man this is freaking me out, some people are telling me that im overthinking it and im not balding but i dont think so. man why is this happening to me im only 19.Photo on 8-9-15 at 5.10 pm.jpgPhoto on 8-9-15 at 5.11 pm.jpg

flexonator

Reaction score
man this is so painful. Im too young for this bull****. im so sad and depressed right now. its only going to get worse. here are some pics. I pulled my hair backc as much as possible but this is seriously it. IMG_7402.jpgIMG_7401.jpgIMG_7400.jpg

Im going to see a GP doctor and see his professional opinion and then go from there, maybe see a dermatologist after. If i really am balding then ill get on the big 3. I hope the stuff isnt too expensive because im a poor student.

I tell you dude. It feels like my heart is melting inside. I never thought it would happen this early on. I thought it would at least happen in my early 30's... im going to buy a bottle of vodka and down that ****. i dont want to feel anything right now

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Take your hand and pull all your front hair back so we can see the roots of your hairline because taking pictures with it covered nobody can tell.

flexonator

Reaction score
IMG_7404.jpgIMG_7405.jpg this is as much as i can pull back. my front hair is quite short so it looks like im just coveering it but im pulling back. the front of my hairline looks okay and so does the right, its just the left side that has receded back slightly.... ;(

flexonator

Reaction score
Ok, If the doctor tells me that I am not suffering from hair loss should I just adhere to his advice and forget about any treatment i.e. the big 3? Should I insist that I am suffering from hairloss and that I would like a prescription? Will he only give me a prescription if HE thinks that I have hairloss? And do you think this is MBP or a maturing hairline?

Thanks for your help.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Judging by the pics your hair loss is minimal and if you do decide to treat it you'd be in a very good position for full recovery, even after a year. Don't let it get you down, you're in pole position for proven treatments

Can you please explain to me what minimal hair loss you are talking about? This guy basically has a juvenile hairline aka a NW0. Not trying to be confrontational just wondering what hair loss you are seeing.

- - - Updated - - -

No doctor is going to prescribe you finasteride with that hairline unless you happen to be diffuse thinning and the Doctor catches it.

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
That's what happened to me at 17,the left side receded at first while the right side was normal and now at 19 the right side has caught up and is now worse. To top it all off I am also thinning on top witch started at 16.

When I shaved my head it was a big shock to see that my hairline was receding and looks awful and always will but you will get used to it (until it recedes even more) with time and even though you will still not like that fact you may end up bald at a young age it becomes less shocking because you know to expect it.

Anyway your hairline isn't even that bad, when the front of the hairline starts to thin and recede (curve) then it time to worry. Your hairline is still straight also your temple points are still thick. It is also a bad sign if they thin but your's are not. So that is good.

flexonator

Reaction score
thats actually the side that isn't receding. It's the other picture. My right side is nice and full but my other is receded a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

So what advice do you guys have for me? Just see a doctor and see what he says? Should I even bother with propecia or rogaine?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I was being ironic. No offense. I met that my overwhelmed envy might lead to self destructive overmedication. I would feel extra lucky if my hair loss was subtle as yours is presently. I hope you don't have to go through dealing with severe male pattern baldness like some of us. About your style as long as you're content nothing else matter. It would not be my choice (if I had one). Here's a fair representation of the irreconcilable state of my hair(lessness). The example on the left that is.
I didn't mean to annoy or tick you guys off, that was never the intention of this post. I understand that there are people who have serious cases of male pattern baldness and I feel very bad for those people. I only made this post because I noticed that the hairline on my left side is noticably different to the one on my right which led me into a state of panic. It was a shock to me because my longish hair had covered up my hairline for so long that when I saw it buzzed it scared me. A combination of my family having a bad history of male pattern baldness and the fact that I see more and more young people like myself with receding hairlines only worsened my paranoia.

So I hope you guys can understand my concern and I apologise if I seemed oblivious to real and bad cases of balding.

Also I.D WALKER, what do you mean you could drink yourself into a stupor looking at my hair state. Is my haircut or hairstyle bad?
patient79_pic1.jpg