19 Year Old Need Thinning Hair Advice

jacob112

Reaction score
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just turned 19 this month and I've been dealing with hair loss since around January of this year. Also around this time I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis which has been bothering me like crazy. I have tried almost everything and I currently just started using clobetasol propionate shampoo. My hair loss started out very slowly for the first few months but has become very aggressive in the last few months. I am not sure whether It is male pattern baldness or diffuse thinning. Every time I run my hand through my hair I lose at least 5 hairs and when I shampoo I lose at least 50 hairs. I am going back to the derm after I have used the shampoo for 3 weeks so should I ask for an prescription for finasteride? Thanks for the help

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest I only see a bit of recession in the left temple. As for the vertex, it could be just the way your hair parts.
What did the derm say? Is it actually thinning? Because he/she had their hands in your hair, he/she should be able to give a diagnosis better than from a picture...
As for the finasteride prescription, the derm might have his/her own opinion about its benefits vs. side effects so don't be sure they will prescribe it only because you ask. Good luck anyways and keep us posted!

Sokubo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that most dermatologists look at that and think you're fine, and they will continue to do so till you're at a Norwood 5 and it's glaringly obvious. Don't be afraid to go to multiple doctors, because you are at the perfect age and perfect level of hairloss to stop it on finasteride.

No hairloss on the vertex, though, that's clearly a cowlick.

jacob112

Reaction score
I think it is most likely diffuse thinning. The worst seems to be the sides of my head near the vertex. I think I am able to just hide it with longer hair but when it is windy my hair goes everywhere. Also when it is wet you can see right through my scalp almost all over my head. When I saw the derm I didn't mention my hair loss because I was focused on trying to get rid of the dermatitis, and also it wasn't as bad back in the spring but it has gotten so much worse since the summer. My family hair loss history is a bit weird in that both my grandfathers have almost full heads of hair at 75 however both of my grandmothers have very thin hair and my mother also has thin hair. Do you think I am having a female hair loss pattern?

JosephWilmot

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think, it's quite hair thinning issue. You could be use generic proscar medicine, but without doctor's prescription having such pills will be dangerous. Talk to your doctor first.

jacob112

Reaction score
I made an appointment for 3 weeks from now with the derm. It seems my seborrheic has been a lot better with this new shampoo. My crown area feels very thin especially on the sides and right below the cowlick but I am able to hide it easy. I was thinking about buzzing it just to see how bad it is but I am scared that it will look terrible at the crown. Should I just plan on getting propecia and rogain or is there something else that is better for a thinning crown? Also what is platelet rich plasma? And would it be good for the situation I am in ? Thanks

jacob112

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I took some more photos of my crown today it seems like it has gotten so much thinner since starting this new shampoo. It seems so much worse from even a week ago. Im thinking about buzzing it do you think this would look bad if I buzzed it?

Wowjpk

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend minoxidil at all. Your hairline and overall hair look good in general, regrowth is not needed. It's all about maintaining what you have. Minoxidil is messy to apply and can be irritating doing it every night or even twice a day. If anything I would suggest just taking finasteride once a day and using a shampoo that helps your scalp and forgetting about it.

If you'd like take a look at my hair loss progress at age 17 using the big 3... https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-minoxidil-and-finasteride-w-pictures.101149/