--- 19 year old and NW7!!! ---

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Last week I had met a guy who was a friend of one of my friends. He had shaped his head but it was obvious enough that he was completely bald all over his head, so he was NW7. I was surprised to hear that he was only 19 years old!!! This is probably a Guinness record. I havent seen something like that before. I started losing my hair around 20 and now I am NW2 but I cant imagine someone going to school and being NW5-6 or something like that... Thats not called aggressive male pattern baldness, its called aggressive (or even barbarian) act of nature towards the man.

G

O yea? You think thats amazing? Well hear this... I met an 18 year old who was NW100! :freaked:

VWdude

Reaction score
thats wierd... but I wouldn't be too surprised if he has some type of medical condition. You can't rule that out just yet until you actually know.

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
medical conditions usually dont manifest themselves in the horseshoe paterns. no..thaT stuff happens. In high school, we had a guy that was a nw6 by grade 12, a also used to teach high school and there was a kid there who was nw6 by grade 12. In my life, ive known 5 unfortunate people that have been slick bald before their 20th birthday. These poor people were probably made fun of for losing their hair by about the age of 15-16. I remember my one balding buddy being asked to take of his hat in front of a large group of people..then he was laughed at. THis is an age when EVERYONES an a**h** not just 50% of people.
THAT sucks...you see people in their late 20's and early 30's complaining about starting to thin..but they never had to go through that. I feel really bad for those people..but the cool thing is that all the ones ive ever known have not felt bad for themselves. EVERY one of those people was very popular and from what i can piece together has had quite a few women. They learned how to cope with it..certainly a bunch of 30 year olds (especially already married ones) should be able to do so as well.

VWdude

Reaction score
i'm in my early 20's... and its just as bad.. im far from slick bald.. but even begining to thin at the age of 22 sucks ballz.

G

VWdude said:
i'm in my early 20's... and its just as bad.. im far from slick bald.. but even begining to thin at the age of 22 sucks ballz.

how can it be just as bad? its much much worse.

Luckily I only started thinning at seventeen. At fourteen? I can't imagine how bad they must feel :(

arjun17

Reaction score
It's very rare , but not unthinkable.....

I know an 18 yr old who is NW5, and will be NW7 in 1 more year, 2 if he's lucky. But this guy you saw.... was he bald ALL over his head (including the sides and back) or did the sides and back have some stubble? NW7 is severe male pattern baldness, but even in NW7s the sides and back retain a significant amount of hair. If he lost even that DHT-resistant hair, it's quite likely something other than (or in addition to) male pattern baldness was affecting him.
I have seen some guys in their mid-to-late 20's who are quite bald
(NW5+) but its VERY rare to see a teenager so afflicted. Sure, I have seen many teenagers who are receding (NW2ish) but otherwise have OK hair. But this extremely early-onset and severe male pattern baldness often runs in families and afflicts nearly everybody in that family. One of my distant uncles is in his late 30's and NW7 (with rather thick hair on the sides and back), but he did'nt lose his hair recently, he's been bald atleast since my days as a toddler (I'm going to be 18 in a few months) probably before that. So he also likely lost his hair very early, in his teens or early 20's.
Seriously, it is MUCH worse for these extremely early balders. They can't even enjoy their hair for five years past puberty (around the time most people start to care more about their hair;children don't usually care much) But ironically, it is often these early balders who accept their situation much more easily than the typical balder who starts thinning slowly in his late 20's.
Cheers,
Arjun

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: It's very rare , but not unthinkable.....

arjun17 said:
I But ironically, it is often these early balders who accept their situation much more easily than the typical balder who starts thinning slowly in his late 20's.
Cheers,
Arjun

yeah my dad started to lose his hair in his teens and was a Norwood 6 by his late 20's and its does not bother him at all, he just excepted it and got on with life

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ha. My 63 yr old dad who has a ridiculously thick thatch was shocked when he saw a flash photo of the back of his head that made it look as if it were thinning. I was like... dude, some teenagers would kill for the hair you have (way better than mine). I would like to think that I deal with my Norwood more gracefully than he would with his!

Chimera

Reaction score
I started at 14 or so and I'm a diffuse thinner. It sucks to have to go through this and I used to say that I'd never go bald when I was younger. I guess I just jinxed myself.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
My brothers friend is completely bald and he's only 18. I couldn't believe it... kind of made me feel better though. I wouldn't want to be in his position.