19 y/old receding templates, Norwood? w/ pics

pets93

Reaction score
hi

I found out about this website few weeks ago and I thought now its about time to share my story.

So i recently shaved off my hair because I got tired of it and I noticed that my templates has been receding.. thing is I don't know how bad it actually is and how much I should worry. I took som pictures.

Myhairdresser, who shaved me, said that my hairline has gone up a bit but that I shouldn't worry too much, it's all natural.

But I think it's a bit worse than that. Anyways (also I don't have thin hair really, it might appear that way but it's because of the flash):

6gjspv.jpg

wl9enm.jpg

18kroi.jpg

rrmw3m.jpg

Thank you and I appreciate all answers.

T

TravisB

You are NW1 at most, and it could be just hairline maturing. However, I don't know if it's the lighting + short hair, or you have diffuse thinning.

pets93

Reaction score
TravisB

I think it's lightning+short hair to be honest. It feels like my hair is rather thick and as I said above I did take the pictures with flash.

Thanks for your reply.

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought more nw2ish, hard to tell, but your left temple has some hair thinning going on by the looks of it.
Overall though good head of hair.

Trouble is with hairloss you never know if or when it'll stop. be it progressing to mature or whether it will carry on to nw3 nw4 etc.
you shouldn't be worried until it passes the mature hairline mark or starts diffusing.
Has your family got a history of balding? and if so how fast and what ages did they go bald. This could be a good predictor of yourself, not guarenteed to be acurrate though.

also of course you could try going to see a derm for a diagonsis

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:agree:

I also think its more in NW2 than NW1 territory and it does look like hair is in the process of miniaturisation around the hairline and temples with some diffusion although could be the lighting. I think at this stage you seem to be fine and it is impossible to know if and how it would develop as it is perfectly natural for your hairline to mature at your age. If I were you I dont see any need to do anything about it except maintain regular photographs over the months to see whether or not it is progressing and at what speed. If you discover that it is receding and thinning rapidly it would then be worth considering medications but it is my opinion that you want to stay off meds until it is absolutely necessary and i believe you are not at that stage based upon those pictures. Best of luck.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
NW1 is straight across and no recession. This guy isn't a NW1.

NW2 with miniaturisation beginning in the temples. I personally wouldn't (and didn't) wait until it got more noticeable and people could 'officially' slate you as balding.

I started on finasteride + minoxidil at pretty much the exact same stage as you, and 3 years later I remain at that spot. Looking at my brother, I know things would be worst if I hadn't.

You know your own situation better than these pictures can demonstrate to us though. Maybe go to a derm and get a miniaturisation test done if you can't make the call yourself.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
The Norwood scale isn't really a scale of "progress", its really a scale of where you end up when you stop balding, which could be a NW3 or a NW7, we never know. It just so happens that the way most people bald follows the Norwood scale to some degree. Sometimes, it doesn't really fit--in your case, for example.

asdf1234

Established Member
Reaction score
cAnt delete post.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Tyler_Durden said:
NW1 is straight across and no recession. This guy isn't a NW1.

NW2 with miniaturisation beginning in the temples. I personally wouldn't (and didn't) wait until it got more noticeable and people could 'officially' slate you as balding.

I started on finasteride + minoxidil at pretty much the exact same stage as you, and 3 years later I remain at that spot. Looking at my brother, I know things would be worst if I hadn't.

You know your own situation better than these pictures can demonstrate to us though. Maybe go to a derm and get a miniaturisation test done if you can't make the call yourself.
Well, if you're refering to the "Norwood scale", Norwood 1 already has some recession. That's why that scale shouldn't be taken too seriously.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its only the NW1 diagram thats abit off and thats only the overhead pic. The rest of the scale is pretty accurate.

pets93

Reaction score
My hair has grown out a bit. Here's how it looks as of today, 2012-05-17:

32zqe0w.jpg

6tfd5u.jpg

2zf994p.jpg

52e8ex.jpg

zswsoh.jpg

I myself can't really tell if it has gotten better or worse. I do notice some hair falling out every now and then in the shower etc, not many, but a few. Worth to notice is that my dad is completley bald as well as my older brother(my brother hes about 30, he was a NW6 at 20y/old so given the circumstances I'm doing OK for time being I guess.) Obviously I do have some temple recession but hopefully it's not too terribly...

Thoughts?