19 y/o university student.. what to do next (PICS)

johnball

Reaction score
So I am a 19 y/o university student in Australia and I am starting to lose hope. I started shedding and losing hair in April '07 and immediately began using Rogaine foam twice daily. The hair loss did not stop and now it is becoming noticeable to people besides me. I also use a volumizing shampoo and take multi vitamins daily.

here is what my hair looks like now taken today Jan 3 2008 right after a shower

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnballhair/JohnsHairLoss

I really want to start propecia but it seems like many of the young chaps that start it before age 23 or so tend to get very bad and sometimes irreversible side effects. Is there anyone that has a similar hair loss pattern to me that is 19 as well and been able to reverse there problem without side effects using propecia.

This does look like male pattern baldness as well right? It is thinning basically everywhere except for the top part but definitly on the crown temples and hairline

Any help would be appreciated.

-John

RaginDemon

Reaction score
another one!

I am going to wait til saf comments on your so called hair loss.

johnball

Reaction score
are you doubting that I have hairloss? I brushed it forward so it covers the temples in the pics but if you click on the second pic you can clearly see my scalp.

I am also getting questions from my mates all the time asking if I got a trim which is SO annoying considering i havn't gotten my haircut in about 3 weeks..

bubka

Reaction score
less that 2% over get side effect, the earlier the better, or just go out and get laid as much as you can now... before it becomes more difficult

IBM

Reaction score
you hairline is strange. Certainly you have male pattern baldness.

1-3-2007%20front.jpg

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
to me, from those pics, i do not see hairloss. your hair looks to be wet also which is probably why more scalp shows. maybe you should take more pictures with your hair in different styles/positions (ie. not combed forward hiding the hairline). if you haven't already, visit a derm or a doctor at your university health center, tell them your situation, and you may even want to get some blood tests done to make sure everything is ok. it seems like you caught it early so i wouldnt sweat it too much. goodluck man

cofblunt

Reaction score
I def see hairloss, 1mg of propecia a day, if you see the sides cut it down to .5 a day, or get proscar and cut it into 5ths, it comes 5mg, but its a lot cheaper. You might also want to add rogaine X 2 daily and use nizoral shampoo 2 or 3 times a week. Leave the nizoral in for a 5 mintues before rinsing

s.a.f

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
another one!

I am going to wait til saf comments on your so called hair loss.

Actually I do see evidence that its thinning, is that gel in your hair though or is it wet?
Usually guys like this are making posts like its the end of the world.

johnball

Reaction score
just wet. it looks thin on the temples and the back when it is dry as well though. I'm thinking of starting on propecia and then buzzing it short when I really start to shed. just nervous after reading the propeciahelp site especially since i'm still very young.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you take a pic with your hair dry and your hair sticking up not comb forward I think we could all have a better idea of what sorta advice you need.

In any case here is a riddle: What's fried, You smell it every single day, You have never eaten it before, You hate it?

johnball

Reaction score
hmm no idea about your riddle...

i REALLY want to start propecia (also like the fact that it might cause me to have less body hair which will further define my already awesome physique) but i REALLY do not want to be permanently impotent at age 19.

someone, (even if you are some merck rep posing as a success story), convince me to take the dive into the world of finasteride...

also, if i take finasteride should i keep on doing the minoxidil? Im almost positive the minoxidil has done absolutely nothing for me up to this point.

IBM

Reaction score
Young to start propecia is at maximum 16 not 19. You're perfect candidate to start it. And the sooner the better...

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Definitely some minor thinning around the temples and crown. Its far from serious. If your hair was longer and washed and blow dried, you would not notice. Everyone looks kinda bald or thinning when there hair is oily and unwashed. Id still get on the Finasteride pronto. I would of started Propecia at 14 if i had the chance to preserve my juvenille hairline but having erectile dysfunction at 14 would defintely be a cause for concern lol.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got on propecia when I was 20 and I'm 25 now. Hair looks pretttaay pretttaaaaay good after 5 years. Glad I jumped on it when I did. more then half my friends are bald/noticeably balding by now.

The answer was fried poop.

evildude

Established Member
Reaction score
hate to say it, but your hairline is receding/thinning. if you look at the left temple, it is ever so slightly thinner. of course, it could stop there or progress very slowly. same thing happened to me, but it's taken close to ten years and i'm still about a nw2,5.

so you are unfortunately balding and you'll have to decide what to do with it. i use spironolactone(with a little finasteride in it) and nizoral every other day. finasteride is a serious drug and you'll have to make a choice whether to go on it or not. it does work, but it can in many cases lead to some annoying side effects.