19 on finasteride. Should I add other treatments?

Tom292

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started losing hair about a year ago. I wanted to do something about and my doctor prescribed me finasteride 1mg. I feel fine no side effects maybe erections a little weaker but that's about 5% weaker than before taking it so its quite normal. My question is should i add other treatments or wait to see if finasteride will do the job? I don't want to be a norwood 3 or 4 at 22 years old. My dad is norwood 7 bald btw don't want to end up like him...
Here are some photos of my hair:

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_002504.jpg
    IMG_20220601_002504.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20220601_002705.jpg
    IMG_20220601_002705.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20220601_002603.jpg
    IMG_20220601_002603.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20220601_002234.jpg
    IMG_20220601_002234.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20220601_001519.jpg
    IMG_20220601_001519.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 155

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im legit jealous that you are tackling this so early. Coming from a regretful guy who started too late.

You want to take this as a long-term lifelong battle so don't burn all your cards just yet imo. Your hair is pretty good, try to mantain with finasteride and when recession starts progressing more aggressive (hopefully after >23yo) you can start upping treatments. Jumping on everything straight away at 19yo seems to risky imo. Be patient and think more longer term.

Steps should be something like
finasteride -> topical minoxidil+needling -> dutasteride -> oral minoxidil -> hair transplant or potential new drugs

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
im legit jealous that you are tackling this so early. Coming from a regretful guy who started too late.

You want to take this as a long-term lifelong battle so don't burn all your cards just yet imo. Your hair is pretty good, try to mantain with finasteride and when recession starts progressing more aggressive (hopefully after >23yo) you can start upping treatments. Jumping on everything straight away at 19yo seems to risky imo. Be patient and think more longer term.

finasteride -> topical minoxidil+needling -> dutasteride -> oral minoxidil -> hair transplant or potential new drugs
Pretty good BTW. Lololol.

Reactions: 300

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish someone explained me this when I was 19yo so I dont have to reverse engineer my f*****g head now COPIUM

Tom292

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry for you man. I guess there wasn't as many information about it as there is now. I decided to start this early because I know that those things are not cure but just treatments to slow it down and the more hair you have the better they work. Hope that I can maintain. Also taking finasteride is good for keeping donor area for potential hair transplant that's another reason why I started taking it. I may add microneedling for now but I don't know if it makes sense because I'm not minoxidil now.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
amazing hair, just stay on finasteride for now
I started losing hair about a year ago. I wanted to do something about and my doctor prescribed me finasteride 1mg. I feel fine no side effects maybe erections a little weaker but that's about 5% weaker than before taking it so its quite normal. My question is should i add other treatments or wait to see if finasteride will do the job? I don't want to be a norwood 3 or 4 at 22 years old. My dad is norwood 7 bald btw don't want to end up like him...
Here are some photos of my hair:

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1mg per day is overkill. Unless you’re destined to be nw7 in early twenties which VERY few people are and those people notice extreme hairloss at 17 with finasteride struggling to keep their hairs look healthy, you’re overdosing.

Keep in mind your body needs DHT and it’s later in life it becomes less important so I would suggest lowering your dosage to 0.2-0.5 every other day. It still works as effective.

Honestly your hairloss at this age should be so slow that you can maintain it at 1mg finasteride once a week. The hairs just aren’t that sensitive at that age to DHT.

Also hairloss comes from mother’s side. Fathers side is less of a factor

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for you man. I guess there wasn't as many information about it as there is now. I decided to start this early because I know that those things are not cure but just treatments to slow it down and the more hair you have the better they work. Hope that I can maintain. Also taking finasteride is good for keeping donor area for potential hair transplant that's another reason why I started taking it. I may add microneedling for now but I don't know if it makes sense because I'm not minoxidil now.
I was NW1 at your age with amazing hair and very slow recession but refused to go into finasteride because the bad propaganda back then was huge and bought into it. Life, work, stressors, etc suddenly accelerated everything at my 28's and in barely 2 years I was heading straight into NW6. Now im at NW3'ish and still improving after 1.5 years. I have two transplants already booked and I think ill end up decently but all this effort could have been avoided and still end up with better hair.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was NW1 at your age with amazing hair and very slow recession but refused to go into finasteride because the bad propaganda back then was huge and bought into it. Life, work, stressors, etc suddenly accelerated everything at my 28's and in barely 2 years I was heading straight into NW6. Now im at NW3'ish and still improving after 1.5 years. I have two transplants already booked and I think ill end up decently but all this effort could have been avoided and still end up with better hair.
Be happy that you even respond to meds. I dont respond at all. Cant even maintain. Maybe if I go HRT only then.

Tom292

My Regimen
Reaction score
1mg per day is overkill. Unless you’re destined to be nw7 in early twenties which VERY few people are and those people notice extreme hairloss at 17 with finasteride struggling to keep their hairs look healthy, you’re overdosing.

Keep in mind your body needs DHT and it’s later in life it becomes less important so I would suggest lowering your dosage to 0.2-0.5 every other day. It still works as effective.

Honestly your hairloss at this age should be so slow that you can maintain it at 1mg finasteride once a week. The hairs just aren’t that sensitive at that age to DHT.

Also hairloss comes from mother’s side. Fathers side is less of a fa
This is literally 99% of us in this forum, just keep in mind haha
View attachment 180729

This is literally 99% of us in this forum, just keep in mind haha
View attachment 180729
Yeah I saw that meme its so true. Hope I respond to meds. Good luck with your transplant I will be saving money if I ever needed one.

Tom292

My Regimen
Reaction score
Be happy that you even respond to meds. I dont respond at all. Cant even maintain. Maybe if I go HRT only then.
Sorry to hear that. Did you check some things other than male patern baldness like thyroid issues or vitamin D3 deficiency? About HRT I saw some people did that just to keep their hair crazy! That's a cure that's worse than disease!

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Did you check some things other than male patern baldness like thyroid issues or vitamin D3 deficiency? About HRT I saw some people did that just to keep their hair crazy! That's a cure that's worse than disease!
Ye i checked my thyroid and all. All normal huh.. my hair strands grow thick on crown but im losing ground every month. Also hair grows short and slow as hell. Something is up. Maybe some type of alopecia areata but diffuse.

Tom292

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye i checked my thyroid and all. All normal huh.. my hair strands grow thick on crown but im losing ground every month. Also hair grows short and slow as hell. Something is up. Maybe some type of alopecia areata but diffuse.
Did you try dutasteride?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you try dutasteride?
Ye for 1.5 years thinned crown hair fast af slowed down after quitting. But i ended up Ejaculating 1 drop of semen at the end so quit. Doing better on finasteride regarding sperm production at least, been on it 2 monrhs or so, but im switching to propecia now from generic finasteride mostly due to paranoia of indian quality, at least I know I get good finasteride from merck.

Tom292

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye for 1.5 years thinned crown hair fast af slowed down after quitting. But i ended up Ejaculating 1 drop of semen at the end so quit. Doing better on finasteride regarding sperm production at least, been on it 2 monrhs or so, but im switching to propecia now from generic finasteride mostly due to paranoia of indian quality, at least I know I get good finasteride from merck.