19 and balding. Need help

soonamo

Reaction score
I am 19 and it seems that I already have hair that is thinning. Most of the balding appears to be at the temples so far, and every time I take showers there are lots of strands of hair in the tub.

I've read the FAQ and researched, but I was wondering what approach should I take as a 19-year old? Am I on track to being bald within a few years if I don't do something about it?

[attachment=0:bt6mq1ti]Hair 1.jpg[/attachment:bt6mq1ti]

Attachments

• Hair 1.jpg
    Hair 1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Hair 3.jpg
    Hair 3.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 163

Reaction score
Wow, you and I have a very similar type of hair.

I think my temple hair receding is more so than yours (bit hard to tell as I presume you have a little hair loss where your pinky is covering your head).While you may have more crown receding (although it's quite hard for me to determine the extent if any of crown receding, it may just be lighting - likewise in your case).

Maybe I'll post up some pics to compare. btw: I'm 29 (of Mixed Race - black/white background), started noticing receding about a year ago. I too wonder what my prospects are. If I could hold off being defined as 'bald' or 'balding' until around age 35-40, then I don't really care. Just want to enjoy a few more years being a guy/stud before being forced to go skin-head (giving the tough guy vin diesel look a try, and if it doesn't work just accept my time is up with the ladies, and living as a mad-scientist nerd).

soonamo

Reaction score
Yeah man, people have commented on my hair being different than most people's.

Is your hair thin and dry as well? I was trying to put up another pic, but it's not working. It would be nice if you could post yours up.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness

When did your hair loss begin? Is it aggressive such that you see clumps falling off?

Reaction score
soonamo said:
Yeah man, people have commented on my hair being different than most people's.

Is your hair thin and dry as well? I was trying to put up another pic, but it's not working. It would be nice if you could post yours up.

Yeah thin, quite dry. I usually rub olive oil in my hair after showering. My hair texture is curly. When short looks very much like yours.

I'm ashamed to post a pic as my Norwoodification factor I think is worse than yours. j/k I'll post up some pics one of these days.

soonamo

Reaction score
Re: I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness

freakout said:
When did your hair loss begin? Is it aggressive such that you see clumps falling off?

I would say probably a year and a half ago when I was almost 18.

No, never clumps. Just strands of hair. I would say like 15-20 strands of hair every shower

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you kept you hair short all this time or since your were 18, massage your scalp before going to bed each night. You can also use a dry soft towel to do it. It's no guarantee but it may help to some degree.

Do you take you studies very seriously? Did you just enter college a year or so ago?

soonamo

Reaction score
Yes, I usually keep my hair short. What will massaging the scalp do?

Yes, I started a year ago and am very studious

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
soonamo said:
Yes, I usually keep my hair short. What will massaging the scalp do?

Yes, I started a year ago and am very studious
Don't take him too seriously. He is a very controversial poster that loves to fight the "mainstream" medicine

I would advise you to start minoxidil if you are serious about your hair. I guess 19 is still too young for propecia

Is your hair curly?

soonamo

Reaction score
Is it recommended to use the gel form over the foam type?

Yes, as it gets longer the curliness becomes more apparent. But it isn't very curly

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness

bigentries said:
Don't take him too seriously. He is a very controversial poster that loves to fight the "mainstream" medicine

LOL. The so-called 'mainstream' does not have the answers.

bigentries said:
I would advise you to start minoxidil if you are serious about your hair. I guess 19 is still too young for propecia

Yes, don't listen to anyone pushing treatments without asking you first. Hairloss is has many causes. You should find what's causing yours first.

bigentries said:
Is your hair curly?
LOL. what's curly got to do with it?

Here, soonamo, read this:
http://www2.massgeneral.org/pubaffairs/ ... 01hair.htm
MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL said:
The discovery that increasing blood flow to the scalp helps stave off baldness may be old news to many barbers. For years, they have been advising clients to massage their scalps as a way of stimulating circulation and hair growth.
Massaging your scalp improves blood flow to your scalp. Hair need blood supply too you know.

Did you ever wonder why the sides and back of your head don't lose hair? Because it's being massaged by your pillow every night.

BUT massage alone is NOT guarantee. Hair loss has many causes. Being TOO studious without some form of physical activity can also contribute to hair loss.

If you stay up too late too often at night to study, you may be low on iron and may want to check with your doctor.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score

freakout said:
Did you ever wonder why the sides and back of your head don't lose hair? Because it's being massaged by your pillow every night.

Oh my dear lunatic troll, you've excelled yourself. This is literally the stupidest thing you've ever posted. And that says a lot. :)

soonamo

Reaction score
So what should I do?

I ordered Biotin pills so that I can start taking them daily and I'm thinking of buying Nizoral when the price is cheaper

s.a.f

Reaction score

hairhoper said:
freakout said:

Oh my dear lunatic troll, you've excelled yourself. This is literally the stupidest thing you've ever posted. And that says a lot. :)

:agree:
Is your mattress also massaging your *** at night?

BTW its that bloodflow that delivers DHT straight to your follicles. :smack:

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
soonamo said:
So what should I do?
You should stay on this forum and learn more about hair loss and find out what's causing your hair loss before deciding on your treatments.

If you know a doctor or someone into medical science, have him read these studies. Maybe he or she may be able to advice you. These studies indicate your scalp is not getting enough blood supply.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8628793
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2715645

Avoid milk. Engage regular LIGHT physical exercises often. Drink coffee or tea when you're studying. If I were you, I'd go for Rogaine BEFORE I find out what's causing mine.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score

s.a.f said:
:agree:
Is your mattress also massaging your *** at night?
Not as much as a chair when my full body weight is on my ***.

s.a.f said:
BTW its that bloodflow that delivers DHT straight to your follicles. :smack:
So what? I already know DHT is NOT a growth inhibitor. A team with PhDs said so. So why should I listen to someone who has no PhD and no name? The thing is, DHT may be resposible for limiting blood flow to the scalp.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you can't decied by yourself, try Rogaine and Nizoral. drink lots of tea. mild regular exercises. Avoid cow's milk or go for goat's milk if u have sources.

Trues

Reaction score
Soonamo,

I joined literally yesterday, but can easily relate to your story. I began noticing the same pattern of loss when I was about 18 or 19. Lots of hairs showed up in the bottom of the shower and in my hands after shampooing. I'd call myself very studious. I always worked as hard as possible on homework and projects through college. I would ask my parents if they noticed but they always denied it (which I'm guessing now that they did just so I didn't stress...)

Now I'm 22 and still haven't done anything about it. If our hair is similar in any way, then the best advice I can give you is that you won't be bald very soon. It takes time. After 4 years, my hairline and temples have receded further, and just recently has the hair on top gotten to the point where it's noticeable to others. (and all I've done is stress about it)

I wish I had started when I was 19. Obviously I have no experience with solutions yet, but if I could tell my 19 year-old self what to do, I'd start with Rogaine and see how that goes.

Again, if you lose hair at the same rate as me, it won't get "bad" any time soon

Hope this helps