18 Year Old Extremely Anxious About Hair

helpme235

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve always had a weird hairline and a large forehead. I’ve also always had thin hair, whenever I sleep or wear a hat it has always matted down until I showered again. I’m about to turn 18 and I noticed I could maybe see more of my temples but i’m not sure. Am I balding? Also is the top of my head a bald spot or a cowlick?

Attachments

• E6F3D424-E81B-445F-9D2D-7653AF4BCED4.jpeg
    E6F3D424-E81B-445F-9D2D-7653AF4BCED4.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 253
  • A9172E4F-2DDF-49A4-9CD0-8C5A49722DCA.jpeg
    A9172E4F-2DDF-49A4-9CD0-8C5A49722DCA.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 1462EC0A-53C0-4A3F-AD4B-5AA6AB687FCF.jpeg
    1462EC0A-53C0-4A3F-AD4B-5AA6AB687FCF.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 339

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your crown looks alright, but your hairline looks like it has receded at the temple points. What's your family history like regarding hair loss?

helpme235

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your crown looks alright, but your hairline looks like it has receded at the temple points. What's your family history like regarding hair loss?
My dad and grandpa has a full head of hair. His brothers are hit and miss, one receding, one bald, one full head. They’re all pretty old too. Moms side is hit and miss as well.

My temples have never had a typical hairline you could say. they always went straight up from my ears, to my hair, without the typical “stair step” past the ears to the hair line.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad and grandpa has a full head of hair. His brothers are hit and miss, one receding, one bald, one full head. They’re all pretty old too. Moms side is hit and miss as well.

My temples have never had a typical hairline you could say. they always went straight up from my ears, to my hair, without the typical “stair step” past the ears to the hair line.

Temples isn't referring to the temple-point - but rather the shape of the actual hairline itself. We mean the corner of your hairline as it starts go back.

helpme235

My Regimen
Reaction score
Temples isn't referring to the temple-point - but rather the shape of the actual hairline itself. We mean the corner of your hairline as it starts go back.

That makes sense and the corners of my hair were my main concern. I’d say they’ve been like this for the past 6-12 months. Should I just monitor to see if anything changes?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The receded and curved outline of your temples is typical of male-pattern baldness. I would say you most likely do have the beginnings of male pattern baldness, but I suggest you make an appointment with a dermatologist to get it confirmed. If it turns out you do have male pattern baldness, you'll need to use finasteride in order to treat it properly.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
That makes sense and the corners of my hair were my main concern. I’d say they’ve been like this for the past 6-12 months. Should I just monitor to see if anything changes?

Definitely monitor with the same type of pictures every few months . As Michael has said you have the option of finasteride however it carries very real risks that need to be weighed up.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s a textbook case of a maturing hairline. At this point, it’s nothing to be concerned about. Take pics every 3 months so you can keep an eye on it.

helpme235

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s a textbook case of a maturing hairline. At this point, it’s nothing to be concerned about. Take pics every 3 months so you can keep an eye on it.
That’s what I was hoping people would say. Only thing that makes me not think that is that it’s happening so early. I thought hairline maturation began at like 17 and lasted for a few years.