18 and thinning/balding, or just paranoia?

Persona

Reaction score
So.... never really taken a mirror to the back of my head, ever. My college friend's bathroom has tons of mirrors everywhere and I somehow manage to see the back of my head - I instantly think I'm balding.

I ask my Mother about it, she says I'm not, I've always had thin hair, and it's always looked like this, ect.

I asked my hairdresser about it shortly after this, she also says I'm not. I still think I am.

2dtbodj.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality but it's the best I could get, so what do you guys think?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it's very possible that I started thinning after about age 16. The
thing is that at first it's very slow and it's very hard to notice. The best thing
you can do is take pictures every few months and try to gage the loss. I
would say it's possible you have started thinning. After puberty and the
increase in testostorone if your hair is DHT sensitive it's going to be
affected.

Nighthair

Established Member
Reaction score
It could very well be a cowlick. What's your family history of male pattern baldness?

Persona

Reaction score
Thank you for the speedy responses, I'll take the advice casperz offered and take monthly or so pictures.

I don't think there is a history of baldness in my family. My Mother's father is in his 70s and still has a full head of hair, although it's really thin. My father still has his hair, I've never met my father's father but my mother tells me he has his hair too.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
ask your hairdresser/someone else to monitor it - if they notice definite thinning over time, you could consider starting on Finasteride. If your crown stays the same you should probably hold off on the medications until male pattern baldness is confirmed.