18 and hair falling (Rogain or Propecia?)

boyoporto

Reaction score
I have hair falling and had it for about 1 yr now and want to start combating this hairloss ASAP. My temples are receding too.

I've been thinking about using rogaine (5%) with the shampoo they make , pregaine (how bad is the flaking? will i get dandruff?) and generica 1mg finasteride too (does finasteride have negative impacts on the scalp too such as dandruff?)

Should I combine both these treatments? Should I do just one of them?

Also, anyone know if this website qualitygenerics.com is to be trusted? or is there a better online site that will deliver 1mg generic finasteride worldwide? (i dont want to have to cut up that 5mg proscar thing).

I am also really scared of losing even more hair and not be able to grow it back... is this a possibility? It is the main reason I have no started any of these treatments as of yet.

Any help/insights would be great.
Thanks in advance

drinkrum

Reaction score
Just use finasteride. You can add minoxidil (Rogaine) later if you need it. Get Proscar and split it into 4ths. It's going to save you a lot of money. All you need is a decent knife or a simple $4 pill cutter (available at any pharmacy). You can get Proscar at http://www.111drugstore.com for about $140 for a year's supply.

D.

boyoporto

Reaction score
so there is chance that some of the hair i've lost (very little on crown + temples) will regrow if i just go on finasteride without minoxidil?

how hard is it to cut the proscar pills? are they large enough to be cut into 4? also, is 1.25mg per day instead of 1mg/day better? will i have flaking or dandruff while taking finasteride? should i use a special shampoo with this?
sorry about all the questions

again, thanks in advance

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed a very small bald spot when I was 16 but I didn't actually start to lose my hair till I turned 18 and its thinned pretty badly all over, in the last year (I'm 19 now). I dismissed it as something temporary and my hair would grow back, so for 6 months I did nothing about it. Then, in february of this year I started to use minoxidil 5% twice a day.
To be honest it has probably slowed down my hairloss but it hasn't grown a single hair. So a month ago I added 1mg of finasteride daily to my regimin. Which now consists of Minoxidil 5% twice a day, 1mg finasteride, nizoral every third day and a run every morning before college.

As we are practically the same age, my advice to you would be to get on finasteride straight away and add minoxidil if you feel you need it. Just remember minoxidil can be quite annoying to work into your day, especially at our age when you go to parties, stay at mates houses or even go on holidays for a few weeks.

Owl Jolson

Reaction score
Rogaine is so much trouble. The scalp is very sensitive and rogaine makes it feel like crap. You could very well get some regrowth from propecia alone. I'd recommend trying that first.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
boyoporto said:
I have hair falling and had it for about 1 yr now and want to start combating this hairloss ASAP. My temples are receding too.

I've been thinking about using rogaine (5%) with the shampoo they make , pregaine (how bad is the flaking? will i get dandruff?) and generica 1mg finasteride too (does finasteride have negative impacts on the scalp too such as dandruff?)

I've tried progaine, and didn't think much of it.
I'd recommend Nizoral for dandruff.
If that doesn't work, you can add T/Gel, T-Sal, or copper peptides.
I had a pretty bad reaction to minoxidil at first, but thanks to one or more of these products, I've got it 100% under control.

drinkrum

Reaction score
boyoporto said:
so there is chance that some of the hair i've lost (very little on crown + temples) will regrow if i just go on finasteride without minoxidil?

how hard is it to cut the proscar pills? are they large enough to be cut into 4? also, is 1.25mg per day instead of 1mg/day better? will i have flaking or dandruff while taking finasteride? should i use a special shampoo with this?
sorry about all the questions

again, thanks in advance

It is easy to cut the Proscar pill in fourths and easier if you buy a $4 pill cutter/splitter from any pharmacy. By cutting it, you get about 1-1.25 mg/day but the small variations shouldn't matter. To keep your scalp clean and clear, I would recommend Neutrogena T/Gel, which you can get anywhere. That's all I use and I use it everytime I shower, which works out to once every 1.5 days or so.

D.