17 Years Old With A Terrible Receding Hairline, What Should I Do? (pics Included)

Kvasir

My Regimen
Reaction score
17 years old with a receding hairline, should I try fixing my hairline? Any other treatments except for the big 3? Should I just shave?

Attachments

• 87E20E75-7152-4956-859D-ECE2582A9EFF.jpeg
    87E20E75-7152-4956-859D-ECE2582A9EFF.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,552
  • F323A044-C0F6-4374-97C7-D57C949FC29C.jpeg
    F323A044-C0F6-4374-97C7-D57C949FC29C.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,449
Last edited:

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can u upload a picture where u show ur hairline better? It is very difficult to asses the situation with these pictures u posted.

Prepareyourhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Uploaded pics. You can skip the story if you want to.

I’ve been balding since I was around 14 I believe. I always thought that my terrible hairline was just how my hair was, as I thought that hair-loss only occurred to much older guys (LOL).

My father left me and my mom when I was a baby, and only a few years ago I’ve discovered that he was bald from a very young age. When I first started shedding my mom noticed, but believed that it will not go too extreme due to her lack of knowledge of hair-loss. She thought that there are reliable treatments and even said that in the worst case she would get me a hair transplant (Which will not actually happen).

Only recently after comments from schoolmates about my hair I’ve been noticing my terrible hair-loss. After researching more and finding the ugly truth I became depressed. Each day and each hour I think about my hair-loss, I always check the hairline of others and get so wrecked when I see that literally everyone my age rocks a sick haircut and I have a M shaped one.

I’ve been going to the gym consistently for around a year, and got a lot of compliments about my look that made me happy. But now I couldn’t care less about these compliments due to my hair, “rocking” the “meathead” look is very not me. Recently I’ve also just started getting much less motivated to go the gym. As I see it as a cope for my look. I was about to do deadlifts now, but when I noticed my hair in the mirror I immediately became frustrated and lost all motivation.

I’m going to the dermatologist in two weeks, hoping to get a prescription for finasteride but I doubt it will do something too positive. Will also try Minxodil and Nizoral.

TLDR: 17 with a receding hairline, should I try fixing my hairline? Any other treatments except for the big 3? Should I just shave?

Definitely a good idea to start finasteride right away as it can be the most effective. If you are going to do minoxidil I HIGHLY recommend getting a Derma Roller (it enhances the effectiveness) and using it with minoxidil. As for shampoo go with lipogaine, it has helped me a lot.

I can relate to this story a lot. It happened when I was 16 (a little older than you) but i didn't start trying to stop it until I was 20, and didn't find the right treatments until I was 21. It is important you get on the right stuff now because the earlier you catch it, the more hair you will keep. I wish I had known to start using treatments right away. With these treatments I have been able to regrow a lot of hair and almost got my hair back to normal, you can too if you start now!! Try your best to not look at other peoples pictures as it will only make you sad (easier said than done I know) (prepareyourhairdotcom is a great website that has good info about treatments that work)

Best of luck brother if i can do it so can you

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Min + Dermaroll until your body finishes maturing, then consider finasteride.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Loss is extensive, especially for your age. You have to decide for yourself how much you care and are willing to commit to treatments first. If you are start with OTC stuff as you're not yet old enough for finasteride. Make a habit of it and learn to be content with your current situation. Its very difficult to regrow hair but maintenance is achievable for most.

Zaki27

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can
Definitely a good idea to start finasteride right away as it can be the most effective. If you are going to do minoxidil I HIGHLY recommend getting a Derma Roller (it enhances the effectiveness) and using it with minoxidil. As for shampoo go with lipogaine, it has helped me a lot.

I can relate to this story a lot. It happened when I was 16 (a little older than you) but i didn't start trying to stop it until I was 20, and didn't find the right treatments until I was 21. It is important you get on the right stuff now because the earlier you catch it, the more hair you will keep. I wish I had known to start using treatments right away. With these treatments I have been able to regrow a lot of hair and almost got my hair back to normal, you can too if you start now!! Try your best to not look at other peoples pictures as it will only make you sad (easier said than done I know) (prepareyourhairdotcom is a great website that has good info about treatments that work)

Best of luck brother if i can do it so can you
can you share your case bro?

Kvasir

My Regimen
Reaction score
Started taking finasteride 1mg along with minoxidil once or twice a day for almost a month now. My hair looks slightly worse but I've seen that it's expected to be like that initially. I've been thinking about supplementing fish oil and biotin since I've heard they help, and I've also been giving dermarolling and nizoral a thought.

fenom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Started taking finasteride 1mg along with minoxidil once or twice a day for almost a month now. My hair looks slightly worse but I've seen that it's expected to be like that initially. I've been thinking about supplementing fish oil and biotin since I've heard they help, and I've also been giving dermarolling and nizoral a thought.
I think you are too young to start taking propecia. Stay safe mate, your health is more important than just hair.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the concern. So far I didn't experience any side effects except for the shedding.

LOL f*** my life
At least we all have a life. In this moment I'm incredibly sad we lost Kobe Bryant.. puts things in perspective.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can u post pictures from the sides? The angle on one of the pics is as if you have a number 49 shoe for head. I’ve lost my hair since your age so I can relate.

do you have itching? Do you have headaches? Can you pull out strands of hair by LIGHTLY pulling them out?
Losing your hair doesn't cause headaches......come on man.....

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Headaches come before hair loss. It can be a multitude of factors, I wanted to ask if he had any. It can be from tension to thyroid problems, which if he has he needs to address. There are papers suggesting that an untreated hypothyroidism can initially cause hair loss but then transform into DUPA. Look it up it’s on ncbi.
Sounds absolutely obscure, and at best extremely rare.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Headaches come before hair loss. It can be a multitude of factors, I wanted to ask if he had any. It can be from tension to thyroid problems, which if he has he needs to address. There are papers suggesting that an untreated hypothyroidism can initially cause hair loss but then transform into DUPA. Look it up it’s on ncbi.

Yeah, no...

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which part? Headaches are very common to people with pituitary problems and a teenager can have them for a number of reasons. I had them. It’s free to ask so I asked him.
Getting headaches being directly linked to male pattern baldness. Because that's what he has.