17 Years Old And Receding? Am I Screwed?

Chad Reigns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright, I made a post a few days ago but I took some better pictures this time and need advice. Am I fucked? Who do I go to for definitive answers? What is a maturing hairline and am I passed that point?

Attachments

• DBABE02F-0B8F-461D-8F96-5172233CA832.jpeg
    DBABE02F-0B8F-461D-8F96-5172233CA832.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 5730326E-FB8A-4446-8E8C-1296A15D2F02.jpeg
    5730326E-FB8A-4446-8E8C-1296A15D2F02.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 3EA070AF-433D-4A4B-B189-935B81C3ACBF.jpeg
    3EA070AF-433D-4A4B-B189-935B81C3ACBF.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 356

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Certainly from the pictures it looks like your corners are receding . Centre forelock looks pretty solid for now.

Did any family members bald early?

Last edited:

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it seems like you are receding but you have still a lot of weak hair left at the temples. If you could thicken them up you should have a very solid hairline.

Chad Reigns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Certainly from the pictures it looks like your corners are receding . Centre forelock looks pretty solid for now.

Did any family members bald early?
I think my dad started going in his 30s, he’s 50 now and thin at the front. Grandfather on dads side still has most of his hair. Grandfather on moms side died.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Chad, it does look like you have started to lose your hair but don't panic- you can probably prevent it getting any worse for between 5-10 years by taking Propecia, one milligram every day. You can get this online from Hims or Keeps or you can visit a dermatologist and ask them to prescribe it for you. If you use Nizoral shampoo 3-4 times per week and apply Rogaine foam twice daily to your scalp as well as Propecia you may even regrow some of the hair lost at the temples. You still have a great head of hair and you are young so you will most likely have a good result in 6 months (it takes this long to see the results- sometimes there is an initial shed). Just keep consistent with these medications and you'll most likely be fine. Don't put off taking propecia any longer though as without it your hair will most likely get worse, Propecia is really the only effective medication against hair loss long term (Rogaine alone only works for a few years). Also, it's worth mentioning that there is a guy on this forum who started losing hair like you at 17 and still has the same head of hair now- 20 years later- for some people it works a really long time

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bad news - Yes, you are beginning to recede. You look just like I did at 17.

Good news - you can consult with a dermatologist to prescribe you Finasteride. I wouldn’t bother with hims or keeps as you’ll waste a lot of money, 90-day prescription of Finasteride cost $14 at costco. This alone will hopefully maintain/slow down the process drastically, assuming you do not get side effects- which some do. You will find this is the easiest method as all it requires is to take a pill everyday. If you want to add minoxidil, you may and your results will very likely be better however you will find that the upkeep/time for minoxidil is very annoying.

If I were in your shoes I would get on finasteride only and see how things go - if you do want it to stop and have considered potential side effects

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Am I fucked?
Yes, you are. Being honest hurts, but it will be worth it when you get on treatment ASAP and save your hair.
You are NW3 at 17, get on finasteride right now, as well as minoxidil. Both at the same time, you dont want to loose more hair at 17 just to see which one works.