17 year old with thinning hair, probably the start of male pattern baldness

plsnobald

Reaction score
Link to imgur album with pics: http://imgur.com/a/cStcE

Over the past ~6 months i've noticed that some hair has been finer than usual (the diameter was smaller and it had less color). This didn't really concern me.

When i went to get a haircut ~2 months ago, i noticed that a certain spot on my crown was kind of thin, naturally this caused me a lot of anxiety. I began to be hyper vigilant about my hair, noticing that some of the hairs that shed were thinner than others and were not as strong, as well as finding some very very light thin hairs.

In the past month i started to notice that im shedding way more than normal, up to 70 hairs in the shower and ~20 any time i would brush or ruffle up my hair for about 20 or 30 seconds. The whole area (crown and part of the top, as well as sides) have been unusually itchy

I did research, and male pattern baldness seems to fit the bill.

As for family history, my dad started balding when he was about 35, my moms father when he was almost 50.

In addition to this, i was in a state of extreme stress for the entire month of may and half of june due to finals. In addition to the stress put on me by finals, i have an anxiety disorder an am very worried about being an adult, going to college, and the transition from childhood to adulthood. My dad thinks that if there is hairloss, that it is most likely due to stress, or that i'm simply projecting my anxieties about the future onto my hair and manufacturing a problem where there isn't one.

It could be hair thinning due to stress (hair is known to shed 2-4 months after a traumatic or stressful event/period)

Im planning on seeing a dermatologist in the near future (next several weeks) to get a more informed opinion.

and yes, i know that i do still have a thick head of hair, my concern is that it is thinning. My hopes are that maybe if it is male pattern baldness, i can catch is pretty early in the game

I would be fine with starting to thin and bald at like 30 or 35, but 17 is just ****ty :C

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro male pattern baldness isn't about how much hair falls out, it's about if the hairs that fall out grow back continuously weaker smaller and thinner than what they were previously, this is miniaturization and it's too soon to tell if you are losing due to certain lighting for one can make pretty much every guy with short hair and say low hair density look like they are thinning

but reading what you say about the circumference of the hair shafts maybe you are thinning but it's hard to tell from your photos

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
plsnobald, it could Male Pattern Baldness in the earliest stages. To know what's really going on with your hair whatever possible issue there is, I suggest to make an appointment to go see a hair transplant surgeon, they'll be able to tell you 100% for sure if you're balding or not. If you do have Male Pattern Baldness, then find out if you can start Finasteride at age 17 and qualify for it. By law, you have to be 18 years of age or older to take Finasteride, though there have been men on this forum who started at age 17, even some at age 16, and were absolutely fine with no side effects.