17 year old with somewhat of a receding hairline...

hairfin

Established Member
Reaction score
your hair looks like mine in the kodak shot and im 20 (and i agree short looks better)

ive had a high hairline but definitely noticed last 2 years hair getting thinner esp one the front sides, also after washing out gel i get hair on my hands.
ive started taking 1/6 finasteride for about 7 weeks, its really up to you whether you think your sides are thinning (you can tell better with a shorter cut), btw that girl is FIT!!

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Smallville's characters hair is really cheesy....It only works on actors..people in the real world with hair like that look like dorks.
Kepp your hair short, enjoy your youth and worry about hair loss when it starts to happen.

Dont grow your hair out..i made that mistake and honestly, it was the worst one i ever made because at 23 to have ur hair long for the first time in 10 years, you see all your hair that falls out in the shower and it made me go insane, no literally.

balla45

Reaction score
hairfin said:
ive had a high hairline but definitely noticed last 2 years hair getting thinner esp one the front sides, also after washing out gel i get hair on my hands.
Well if I rub my hair a lot a strand or two will come out, but that seems normal. Isn't it normal that a couple of hairs will come out when you're doing something like washing your hair? Or are you saying a lot comes out?

balla45

Reaction score
Alright guys,

I am going to get a trim/haircut before school, but I want to know your thoughts. I still would like to try and grow my bangs out, and for a haircut/trim I usually get a 5 on the sides, which cleans up my sideburns and looks alright, but this time I was thinking of getting something like a 6 (if they even have that). However, if I keep growing out my bangs, I don't know what type of style I could have. Maybe I could ask for a little cut off on the top with texture so I can use my gel in it. Because right now, my hair strands are too long to even style up or anything.

Here are some more pics(with bad quality lol):
http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc007132eq.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc007206lv.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc007228oq.jpg

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well im 17 and i have hair similar to yours but much worse because im thinning alot worse then you, you arent really receding but i see some thinning , when u run your fingers through your hair do you feel that you have thin hair and can touch the scalp easily ? then i think your hair might have male pattern baldness, anyone in your family has hairloss history , like your dad ?

anyways, i would say get msm to thicken your hair and make it look healthier , but rather then that, minoxidil doesnt really do anything exept thicken hair little more.

balla45

Reaction score
No, my dad doesn't but I think my granddad had it. What is male pattern baldness?

Oh, and bump from my previous post. Still wanting ideas for what I should do haircut wise.

balla45

Reaction score
So do you think I should cut it or trim it or leave it alone and let it grow out?

And, can you get anything less than a 5 on the sides and back? Like a 6?

balla45

Reaction score

SnowRider22

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks similiar to mine, although mine a little thicker looking grown out:

hair1.jpg

hair2.jpg

hair4.jpg

Britannia

Reaction score
Snowrider would you ever consider drug treatments for hairloss. Just curious.

SnowRider22

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it...I am scared though, I am still not 100% positive if I have male pattern baldness, it maybe just normal shedding, but I have recessed a little in my hairline, even though I always remember my hairline being like that. I am worried about drugs making it even worse, especially if I don't even have male pattern baldness, it's tough though. If I did have male pattern baldness and it would completely hault it, then I would take drugs.

simplemindedgenius

Reaction score
Not trying to scare any of you but snowrider and balla45, your hair looks familiar. That's exactly how it starts out. The angle of the sides of your hair, which should come just above the corner of each eyebrow starts to get a bit thin, and isn't nearly as thick as it most-likely used to be. If you look at young celebrities, their hair comes thick from their sideburns to above the corner of their eyebrows and meets up with the front of the hairline at the forhead. Basically it starts at the sides, then the hair on your forehead will start going back at the temples slightly. Don't worry about it too much, but if you'r enot happy with it, go do something about it. You'll be a lot happier in a few years if you do something now, rather than not.

balla45

Reaction score
Intersting. Thanks for the post. What does everyone else think about my hair? I guess I'll have to live with the fact that it's just going to be thin.

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, neither of these kids have hairloss. You guys who say they do are insane. Do you realize a normal hairline starts with a thiner section then progresses to it's normal thickness? That is exactly what is going on here.

Snowrider, your temples are slightly receding. That happens as a man gets to age 20+. It doesn't mean it's male pattern baldness. Check the Norwood scale. You aren't even anywhere near a Norwood 2 yet. (And thats normal to be a full norwood 2 by the time you get to 30).

I'm not saying you two don't have male pattern baldness. You very well could have it, but it's definitely not showing at this point in your life. I would NOT use finasteride if I were the two of you. Wait until you are completely certain that you have male pattern baldness and it's starting to mess with your hair. If you are completely freaked out about it, I would buy some Nizoral 1% shampoo (or 2% if you so desire), and shampoo with that 3x a week. That is the only thing I would do at this point for you two.

P.S. - Guys, your best bet to tell you if you are thinning / receding or balding whatsoever are the people in your life. Ask your parents, friends, and/or girlfriend if they think you are losing. They will be honest. Chances are you are freaking out over nothing. Alot of the guys here are completely paranoid and will point out a normal mans hairline and say "Omfg look at that recession" just because hairloss is always on their mind.

jeffsss

Reaction score
the_beast said:
Ok, neither of these kids have hairloss. You guys who say they do are insane. Do you realize a normal hairline starts with a thiner section then progresses to it's normal thickness? That is exactly what is going on here.

Snowrider, your temples are slightly receding. That happens as a man gets to age 20+. It doesn't mean it's male pattern baldness. Check the Norwood scale. You aren't even anywhere near a Norwood 2 yet. (And thats normal to be a full norwood 2 by the time you get to 30).

I'm not saying you two don't have male pattern baldness. You very well could have it, but it's definitely not showing at this point in your life. I would NOT use finasteride if I were the two of you. Wait until you are completely certain that you have male pattern baldness and it's starting to mess with your hair. If you are completely freaked out about it, I would buy some Nizoral 1% shampoo (or 2% if you so desire), and shampoo with that 3x a week. That is the only thing I would do at this point for you two.

P.S. - Guys, your best bet to tell you if you are thinning / receding or balding whatsoever are the people in your life. Ask your parents, friends, and/or girlfriend if they think you are losing. They will be honest. Chances are you are freaking out over nothing. Alot of the guys here are completely paranoid and will point out a normal mans hairline and say "Omfg look at that recession" just because hairloss is always on their mind.

not so sure i agree.
when i first started propecia my hair was alot like snowriders..
I noticed a lot of hair falling.. you could run my fingers though my hair and pull 5-10 every time.
that is NOT nomral.. I don't care if everyone in the world suggested that i wasnt losing hair and i dont have to worry abotu male pattern baldness.. i was!!

my theory is simple:
if you have male pattern baldness in your family genes. you should get on a treatment as soon as YOU think your losing hair. noone knows your hair as well as youreself.

so far.. i've been on propecia for 5 months. I'm still losing hair.. I'm glad i didnt wait untill people started noticing hair loss.. b/c NOW they do!!

further more.. people lose hair differently. me for example am about a NW1.5-2?

but my hair is thin all over the top.. so not everone is going to have a receeding hair line who has male pattern baldness

the_beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Jeff I agree you should start treating it as soon as you notice signs of male pattern baldness. The problem I have with these guys is that they aren't showing signs of male pattern baldness. People have different hairlines. People can have one side thinner than the other. It's normal.