17 year old Diffuse thinning

million

Reaction score
Hello forum members. The first comment I ever received on my hair was back in 2013 at a party when a friend commented on a thinning spot on the crown of my head. I brushed it off. Today, after having been approached by up to 7 different people (friends and family members included) I've come to the realization that it's not getting any better. My mom has always had thinner hair, and my dad is a NW5. I've always had "thin" hair growing up in addition to a high hairline that has remained there yet diffused along with the rest of my scalp.

To cut to the point here... I've reached the breaking point of getting comments on my hair, but shaving it all off doesn't seem like a viable option for me. I don't really have sharp facial features or the right head shape to pull it off.

Anyways, I am a pretty aggressive diffuse thinner at 17 years of age, and I usually shed 10-25 hairs in the shower. My hair isn't in bad enough condition to look like total crap having it grown out, so I keep it relatively long and can pull off a combover well without showing scalp by using volumizing shampoo. However, I have noticed the loss of density over the past year or two. Of course, seeing as I'm young, I feel rather embarrassed to ask my parents to buy me regaine or treatments like that, so for now I've settled for Nizoral that I bought and checked out at the self-checkout counter at Walmart. Talk about being self-conscious... I've been on the forums for a few months and have assessed my treatment options. I'm not quite sure if I would want to take Minoxidil down to my college dorms... Or the hassle of applying it twice daily. And of course there is the uncommon yet potent side effects of propecia that scares many men not excluding me. Also, I will be able to legally obtain propecia in a couple of months. But seeing as I'm running out of options, I'd like to hear advice from this forum's members.

I've done some extensive research on Ketoconazole and have seen that it is very beneficial and as effective as Minoxidil 2%, but I have yet to see (after 3x weekly usage for 3 weeks) much change. I know 3 weeks isn't long enough to conclude, but if ketoconazole were the cure all, most people on here wouldn't be posting. I'm pretty sad that it's progressed this badly at this young an age, especially when the sheer majority of guys my age don't have to worry about bright lights, windy days, and water on the hair. I've been accepted into top colleges as a result of my hard work, yet something as trivial as hair loss has humbled me and downed my self confidence. Any advice/commentary is appreciated. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage4.JPG

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
some users here are around your age taking propecia/finasteride. sooner the better imo.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
million,

I'd get on Finasteride ASAP if I were you, and yes I would at age 17. You need to go make an appointment to see a hair transplant surgeon and have them write you a prescription for Finasteride, you should qualify even though by law you have to be 18 years of age or older to take the medication. I wouldn't bother with Minoxidil as of for now, just focus on getting and taking Finasteride, and yes Nizoral is a nice anti-dandruff shampoo to use a couple times a week.

Please talk to your parents about this situation. Time does not look like on your side.

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
To be fair I believe it's the 2% prescription grade Nizoral that's said to be comparable to 2% minoxidil. Not the over the counter 1%.

balding2early

Reaction score
LOL, you're from Brampton, Ontario? I live there too haha.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ide-1mg-18-Year-old-(pics)-of-diffuse-thinner

^ That's my story. I'm a diffuse thinner just like you began at 15 (19 now) although mine was not as bad as yours.

If I was you I would get on finasteride 1mg a day and get on rogaine only if you are committed otherwise don't bother. It's costly but you can't put a price on hair at our age.

Finasteride runs me $130 for 3 months. And I get the 3 pack rogaine foam 5% for $150 from well.ca. If I was you I would work in a factory or something for the next month to pay for this stuff.

Your parents will not understand. Hell your doctor might not even know shiit about hair loss. My parents paid for my rogaine when I was in grade 12 for several months but honestly its a hassle asking your parents and my moms stupid and randomly said I don't need rogaine anymore and then I proceeded to go on a major shed in summer 2014 lol.

Oh and try not to be self-conscious buying nizoral cuz its gonna be even more awkward when your buying things like finasteride at 18 at shoppers drug mart. :D

Who cares what other people think. Watch them have to deal with hair loss as a teenager and they'd straighten up real quick.

million

Reaction score
You're right about that, there have not been any studies showing the 1% keto as effective as 2% minoxidil, however in many articles it is stated that the difference between 1% and 2% Keto is minimal

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, you're from Brampton, Ontario? I live there too haha.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ide-1mg-18-Year-old-(pics)-of-diffuse-thinner

^ That's my story. I'm a diffuse thinner just like you began at 15 (19 now) although mine was not as bad as yours.

If I was you I would get on finasteride 1mg a day and get on rogaine only if you are committed otherwise don't bother. It's costly but you can't put a price on hair at our age.

Finasteride runs me $130 for 3 months. And I get the 3 pack rogaine foam 5% for $150 from well.ca. If I was you I would work in a factory or something for the next month to pay for this stuff.

Your parents will not understand. Hell your doctor might not even know shiit about hair loss. My parents paid for my rogaine when I was in grade 12 for several months but honestly its a hassle asking your parents and my moms stupid and randomly said I don't need rogaine anymore and then I proceeded to go on a major shed in summer 2014 lol.

Oh and try not to be self-conscious buying nizoral cuz its gonna be even more awkward when your buying things like finasteride at 18 at shoppers drug mart. :D

Who cares what other people think. Watch them have to deal with hair loss as a teenager and they'd straighten up real quick.

You're right about doctors haha. I talked to my pediatrician about my hair loss and she said "oh I can't see a thing other than a bit on your temples but thats normal during puberty" ......

Thanks for the advice man. My parents probably would not have problems paying for it, but they are concerned about the side effects of the drugs much much more than I am. They don't understand either what it's like to go through this at a young age as you said. However, I saw your pictures and they look great! congrats on the great results.

For now I'm going to continue on Nizoral until I am old enough to get propecia. My hair looks fine when I keep it long on top and wash it every day. I usually manage to hide whatever scalp that might show otherwise, but its becoming worse so I will act on it soon.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Do buzz cut to avoid stress on hairs,and start gym.DHT effects may decrease if you are performing exhaustive work like running,jogging.etc.