17 with receding hairline - help?

rcz748

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm not quite sure how bad it is, but I think my hairline is receding and I don't know what to do (around a NW2). I don't think my hairline was always like this, even though I have a pretty high hairline. My dad was also pretty much bald on the top of his head by age 50. The rest of my hair seems OK, but again I'm really not sure. The worst part is, I'm not even 20 yet. Are there any products (maybe nizoral) that can help right away? Will this get worse in the next few months/years? Should I get a new style to make it look better? I kind of want to keep my hair the length it is, and I really don't want to get a buzz cut or shave my hair off. Any help would be appreciated!

Notice the "dent" in the first picture, and compare to my hair 2 years ago (the last picture).

CAM00797.jpgCAM00798.jpgCAM00800.jpgCAM00802.jpgCAM00804.jpgDSC00977.jpg
Thanks!

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you aren't quite sure how bad it is? You look at it in the mirror every day don't you?

I would expect you to end up like your dad within a decade, maybe two if you are lucky but early loss isn't a good sign. Start nizoral, consider finasteride, see a hairtransplant doctor or dermatologist about getting a script or when you should get one if they think you are too young (preferably a hair transplant doctor as they are more knowledgeable)

shookwun

Reaction score
yeah, ur balding bro.

time to hop on finasteride. it all depends how sensitive your hair is to DHT, and 5-ar.

I started balding at 16, and was a full NW2 by 18, yet it remained the same until I was 23. only started using finasteride a year n a half ago.

rcz748

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, it's good that I realized the problem before it got severe. I just picked up some nizoral today and I'll use it as instructed (once every 2-3 days). I also noticed some minoxidil liquid (enough for 3 months) for $20 at target, which I think is a good deal. Should I get that and start using it too? I don't know if I will be able to grow some hair on my temples, but that would be great. If not, I think I can live with my current hairline, just as long as it doesn't get worse. I don't seem to have a lot of shedding hair when I shower/comb, and the top of my head seems fine for now.

About finasteride, I'll talk to my pediatrician and see if she knows a dermatologist who can help me out. If anything, I'd like to try proscar or one of the cheaper versions (the 5mg pills that you cut into quarters) to save money. Hopefully I'll be able to start on that sometime next month. I'll keep this updated.

brandon8171

Reaction score
Best advice in the world: CALL YOUR NEAREST BOSLEY OFFICE!

It's free to get a checkup on your hair. They'll evaluate your hair and give you the best steps to get it corrected. I went last year and they gave me a subscription on Finasteride which is like $2 a month. It helped a lot with stopping hair loss and I'm starting to see lots of regrowth.

rcz748

Reaction score
$2 a month seems cheap, so that would be great (given it doesn't cause any side effects since i'm still pretty young). I'll call my pediatrician and bosley tomorrow. In the meantime, I think i'll try the minoxidil foam on my hairline along with nizoral shampoo.

rcz748

Reaction score
I'll try and see how it works. By the way, should I apply minoxidil to my hairless temple regions? My hairline too? My entire head? I've heard about some of the shedding and I don't know if applying it all over the place would really be necessary.

bagel

Banned
Reaction score
i took finasteride when i was 19 and my libido is still ****ed up today and im 26. just fyi, something i wish someone told me when i was younger, i did not know there was risks involved. see what your doctor thinks if u should take it when your young or wait until you are a little older. (because you might be still developing)

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah you should applyit to your hairline,temples and region where you're thinning. No need of applying all over. :)

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe you watch too much p**rn and touch yourself too often libido has so many factors involved and you attribute it to finasteride 7 years ago lmfao whatever bro. I'm taking dutasteride Eod and 0.5mg finasteride on days I don't take dutasteride. I also woke up at 1 and banged my girlfriend.

bagel

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe you watch too much p**rn and touch yourself too often libido has so many factors involved and you attribute it to finasteride 7 years ago lmfao whatever bro. I'm taking dutasteride Eod and 0.5mg finasteride on days I don't take dutasteride. I also woke up at 1 and banged my girlfriend.

You're messing with fire.

Finasteride is an inhibitor of 5-α-reductase used against male androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Reported side effects of finasteride comprise sexual dysfunction including erectile dysfunction, male infertility, and loss of libido. Recently these effects were described as persistent in some subjects. Molecular events inducing persistent adverse sexual symptoms are unexplored. This study was designed as a retrospective case-control study to assess if androgen receptor (AR) and nerve density in foreskin prepuce specimens were associated with persistent sexual side effects including loss of sensitivity in the genital area due to former finasteride use against Androgenetic Alopecia. Cases were 8 males (aged 29-43 years) reporting sexual side effects including loss of penis sensitivity over 6 months after discontinuation of finasteride who were interviewed and clinically visited. After informed consent they were invited to undergo a small excision of skin from prepuce. Controls were 11 otherwise healthy matched men (aged 23-49 years) who undergone circumcision for phimosis, and who never took finasteride or analogues. Differences in AR expression and nerve density in different portions of dermal prepuce were evaluated in the 2 groups. Density of nuclear AR in stromal and epithelial cells was higher in cases (mean 40.0%, and 80.6% of positive cells, respectively) than controls (mean 23.4%, and 65.0% of positive cells, respectively), P = 0.023 and P = 0.043, respectively. Conversely, percentage of vessel smooth muscle cells positive for AR and density of nerves were similar in the 2 groups. The ratio of AR positive stromal cells % to serum testosterone concentrations was 2-fold higher in cases than in controls (P = 0.001). Our findings revealed that modulation of local AR levels might be implicated in long-term side effects of finasteride use. This provides the first evidence of a molecular objective difference between patients with long-term adverse sexual effects after finasteride use versus drug untreated healthy controls in certain tissues.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24959691

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Study with 8 people, use of "might be " real compelling study you have there. Like I said 8 patients who all suffer from ED perhaps they all have a genetic predisposition and are out of shape neck beards who masturbate too much, p**rn induced erectile disfunction isn't a myth. And there are many other causes for ED yet non of this information I can read into either?

they also need more people such as finasteride users with no sides people who never took finasteride and still have ED etc.

thats like saying little Johnny discontinued using head and shoulders around the same time he had an increase in his libido, therefore head and shoulders must of gave him ED! Let's ignore the fact that little Johnny indirectly started nofap due to getting laid on the reg with his new main chick.

may I ask how long you took finasteride?

rcz748

Reaction score
I just got some 5% minoxodil foam from target and will try it for the next 3 months. Still not sure on finasteride (at least for now when i'm still in high school).

shookwun

Reaction score
I'll tell you what clouds your thought processing patterns, and cognitive abilities - MASTURBATING. GO rub one out to some p**rn, and tell you don't have that dazed post feeling.

Foggy brain is contributed towards excessive masturbation, especially those late binges. In the morning youll feel less alart, and not running at optimal speed.

Quit beating ur meat for awhile and you'll see how much more alart, and focused you're.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go on finasteride yet, you may not even be balding, it might just be a mature hairline. i would only get on meds if it gets worse in 6 months

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to the guy above me at least on the mature hairline part, you have the exact same recession as me except I'm much more gone

rcz748

Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil on my hairline for the past week and a half, and I notice some fuzzy, colorless, almost invisible hair on my temples. There's also a bit of that hair (but darker color) on the front of my hairline. Will these hairs turn into normal hairs given some time? My hairline also seems a bit worse than it usually is, but I don't know whether its shedding or if I'm just imagining that.

rcz748

Reaction score
This is my 6th week on minoxidil and nizoral. Will these hairs get longer and more normal with more time? If so, how long should it take?
DSC03127.jpgDSC03124.jpg

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
No one can tell you that, however what I can tell you with out Propecia or dutasteride or ru or anything like that all you're doing is essentially using bandaids when you need stitches