17 months on finasteride, mixed results

rogber

Reaction score
i started taking generic finasteride in spring of last year (0.5mg per day). before that i was on liquid minoxidil for about a year but with no visible benefits. i have continued with the minoxidil as well as the finasteride since then.
about a year ago, 4 months or so into the finasteride and minoxidil regime, the person who cuts my hair said she noticed lots of little new hairs at the crown of my head. i was obviously pleased with this. now,about a year on, i can say that there has been a reasonable improvement in the crown, what was a slowly growing bald patch has filled in to a good extent. however during this time my hair line has continued to thin out and recede slightly. i first noticed thinning of my hair when i was about 24. i am now 31 and this recession and thinning has been slow but continuous over these years. i was really hoping the finasteride would help halt this, but at the moment it seems to be only helping at the crown but not at all at the front, so that the end result really doesn't look much better at all.
has anyone else had this experience with finasteride and minoxidil? most of the success stories here seem to have been total - an all over improvement or else nothing at all. but as i say, i have had reasonable success on one part of the head, and none on the other. is there any room to believe the front may yet improve, or is this likely as good as it gets?

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
i've heard many people say the front gets worse, and then late, late, later the front can catch up (not guaranteed, but does happen to lots of folk), just because the front needs more hair cycles to recuperate

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
curiouscharles said:
i've heard many people say the front gets worse, and then late, late, later the front can catch up (not guaranteed, but does happen to lots of folk), just because the front needs more hair cycles to recuperate

I don't think it's that they need more hair cycles to recooperate. It doesn't make much sense.

Instead, I think its that those follicles were/are most heavily damaged and usually first-hit by DHT. If the follicles are able to revive, it might take longer for them to repair enough to grow again.