17 month update

Bald Bull

Reaction score
I took 1mg propecia and 5% rogain for 12 months, and my hair just got worse. I shed massive amounts of hair the entire time, so I got pissed and quit the propecia but stayed on the minoxidil. It's been about 5 months since then, and my hair still looks like crap, although for about a month I haven't been shedding at all (probably because I lost most of my hair). It's stopped to the point where I can't even pull out the hair that I still have if I try. So, just out of spite for everything else and my hair, I started taking 1mg of propecia again. What does it all mean?

My hair looks like Jack Nicholsons and I'm only 22 (AND HE'S LIKE 80). f***.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi Bald -

Sorry to hear that you seem to be one of the 17% non responders to Propecia :(

Couple of questions - do you have ANY irritation or itching on your scalp at all? I dont mean from the Rogaine necessarily, but just in general. Does your scalp tingle that well known migrating tingling feeling that just makes you want to itch it? Is it flaky? Or would you say your scalp skin is just healthy as a baby's butt ... ?

Were you religious in your application of Rogaine and taking of Propecia? Did you use Rogaine 2x per day, every day, for 12 months or did you skip weeks sometimes? Did you forget to take Propecia 3 days a week some weeks, etc ? You know where Im going with this one :)

There are lots of factors involved in why someone does not see results, and its important to really disect all the possible variables that might have contributed. Scalp condition is the biggest factor in why people don't see results on the clinically proven treatments. Irregular adherence to the regimen is the second biggest factor.

HairLossTalk.com

Bald Bull

Reaction score
I was flawless in the application of my meds. I took my 1mg propecia pill everyday and applied 5% minoxidil twice everyday. After a few months I had quite a shed, but I knew it would happen so I stuck with my regimen. The thing is, the shed never stopped. I shed all the way up to month 12 on propecia, so I quit because my hair was so much worse. The past 5 months I've been on 5% minoxidil twice daily with no results other than the shedding has stopped. That horrible shed that started way back when I first started my regimen has stopped, but I'm not sure if it's because something was working or because I stopped the propecia. I just started taking it again just to see if I could at least maintain what I have if the shed is really over. I have had a lot of small blonde vellous hairs where I shed my "good" hair like a year ago this whole time, but they don't seem to be growing at all. I just figured that they're my old dying hairs DYING.

My scalp has been pretty crusty and flaky this whole time, but I always thought it was dried minoxidil residue or something. I also have a problem with infected hair follicles. I've been to the doctor for this long before I was balding, and they just told me to use perscription shampoos (nizoral at the time). I did notice that when parts of my head would itch, I could pull out a huge chunk of hair from the exact spot that was itching, but not that much from anywhere else. I have been rotating nizoral, t-gel, t-sal, and various types of head & shoulders daily throughout this entire time.

the god of hair hates me

Bald Bull

Reaction score
Also, I forgot to mention that my hair is getting a lot lighter on top. My hair around the edges is still dark brown, but on top it's light brown with quite a few blonde hairs mixed in.

reallysad

Reaction score
Hey Bald Bull, thanks for your reply. So your shedding only stopped 4 months after stopping Propecia?

I am starting to be convinced about stopping Propecia.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Bull, are you sure it was the Propecia that caused the shed or do you think it could have been the Minoxidil?

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, don't you think that this is yet another example that supports my theory of good shedding and bad shedding??

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Bull, I have tried minoxidil. on numerous occasions and always stopped because of the shedding. On a positive note though, after 4 to 6 months the shed hair always grew back, and usually a little thicker. Give it time to recover, you may have the same luck. Maybe eliminating all of the treatments you started with and starting a new regimine would be in order. A different DHT inhibitor and another topical (copper peptide, revivogen?). Just some thoughts. I am convinced if I would have stayed on the rogaine (which tore my scalp up) and was causing massive sheds I would be in really bad shape.

azn0608

Reaction score
Bald Bull, your right that hairs are easily pulled off on the itching spot...weird huh?! I've done numerous experiements on that and YES everytime there is a graft or 2. I've gone thru two big sheds I believed during my thinning period. The first time was 3 years ago (18) where my vertex hair started to fall off. The other was last year where my frontal hair started to fall off. Also my hairline has receeded over time...which now looks like a "U" shape...well kinda. I have not been taking anything before the sheds happened, but the hairs just don't seem to grow back either. I'd be happy if they just grow back u know. Therefore, I'm now using minoxidil 5%...once daily for around 3 weeks so far...hope I get to see some result soon! And...NO MORE SHEDS PLZ......

PS: The god of hair hates us all i guess...i missed my hair ;(

Bald Bull

Reaction score
x5o said:
Bull, are you sure it was the Propecia that caused the shed or do you think it could have been the Minoxidil?

Well, I really have no idea. I just quit the propecia because its reported to cause sheds more often. As of right now, I am not shedding at all, so I started with propecia again just in case that sick shed is over for good and I can maintain what I have. As usual, I'll be back in a few months to report what has happened.

On a side note, my dad has had a literal "chrome dome" since the day I was born (he was 25), so I think I'm just fucked. Hope I can afford a massvie hair transplant in the future!