17 balding - advice?

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I hope I dont come across as venting in this thread , but I really need some advice about my hair loss

I am a 17 year old male, almost 18 and I have noticed my hair has begun to thin out on the crown area and all off the top. this in addition to my family history of baldness ( most of the men on both sides of my family are bald and a few of them went bald in college) would lead me to believe I probably wont be hanging onto my hair for to much longer. I have been to a dermatologist , which didn't end up being very helpful. I was told starting Propecia at my age was a bad idea, although I was recommended to try rogaine. I dont feel very optimistic about rogaine because I have read it is better at treating mild hair loss and going by my genetics my hair loss isn't "mild".

now here is what I would look advice on. I am wondering if I have any options with this? I really would just go for the bald look if I could , however I would look absolutely terrible with it. I am about 5'5 and somewhat pale with an oddly shaped head. The thing is, I actually look decent with hair , infact it has been one of my best features that has given me confidence, however losing it at such an early age is very hard for me to deal with.

I have read that hair transplants are not a good option for young people either.

my conclusion is that I probally will try to propecia and if it doesnt work I am thinking about getting a hair peice. I cringe at thinking about the stingma of wearing one as a man and the anxiety that goes with it but I just could not handle embracing my baldness. it would take me from a decent looking person to a ugly alien. I think some guys look great bald , some look decent and some like me just look completely terrible.

sorry for the long post but I am wondering what can I do? would it be bad to start college wearing a hair peice?

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't go the hairpiece route.

I'm not as young as you but I'm in my mid 20's and decided to bite the bullet and get on finasteride (propecia). I did the research myself and made the decision. I was willing to risk the sides to save my hair. I have a very abnormally shaped head and I know that I need my hair. I also come from a long line of bald men and realize that I will eventually lose it. I have experienced some sides but they have been mild for the most part.

But for now I will do whatever I can to hold onto it however long as I can.

The decision is yours. Weigh the pros and cons. And choose the best option. There really isn't much besides propecia and minoxidil man..

male pattern baldness is the worst.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
yea my thinning isn't to noticeable yet because I have my hair at a medium length but I can only imagine what it will look like in 2-3 years

a hair peice sounds like a bad idea but I think I would rather that then be completly bald

in the meantime I suppose trying finasteride is worth it

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some guys on here are your age taking finasteride/dutasteride. Just my advice don't go slick bald and dont get a hair piece.

shookwun

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider a hair system until you are in the advanced stages.

Take finasteride, maintain, and ride it out. Save up, and get a transplant at 21 if you manage to stabilize your loss.

Unfortunately it's to early to go either route. I was you at one point, and can totally relate.

All I can recommend is you get out of your comfort zone, and gain experience in areas that you feel anxious in. it'll be hard, but this is crucial.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
thanks for the responses, and yea hair system is probably my last resort but I like knowing its an option , it makes me worry less about losing my hair

considering aggresive male pattern baldness runs in my family I dont feel like the drugs and transplants will help me enough.

however , its worth a try. Im just a little hesitant to starting finasteride at this young of an age