17 And Receding, In Need Of Some Comfort

17AndBalding

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everybody on this helpful forum,

I am 17 years old ans have been receding significantly since I was 15/16~ and in about a year got to this point in the picture (I assume NW2/2.5). This thread is not about asking for male pattern baldness comfirmation, since I already got that from a derm, but more just a thread where I (and others as well) can talk to people that go through the same problems (Basically what this entire forum is about, I know).

My dad started receding at around 23 and was a NW6 at 33. My maternal grandfather started losing his hair in his late 50s. It seems that I'm following my dad's destiny but then 7 years earlier.

The hairloss has caused me enormous psychological problems and anxiety, to the point where I can't enjoy life anymore. It's been affecting me so much that I've had severe episodes of depression and have debated on shaving it all off this summer after I graduate high school (to accept it early and start fresh in a new place).

Again, this thread isn't about throwing a pity party, not at all, just want to be able to talk to people who share the same experience and could potentially help not to see the future as hopeless, but to be able to see some silver lining in this ordeal.

Thank you so much for reading this, I appreciate it so much.

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_20170320_214733.jpg
    IMG_20170320_214733.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 276

17AndBalding

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also my apologies if the photo is not super helpful, it's a little further receded than you see here, but not by much.

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow that's hard, my hairline is like that right now and I'm 21 and a half. I started receding when I was 17 and a half. I'd say you should get on finasteride but you might be too young so don't take my word on it. Have you tried minoxidil/rogaine? Also to anyone who tells you that most men bald that's true but tell them to f*** off because it's completely different balding in late teens/early 20's. On the bright side since you're so young you'll be in time for the current treatments in the pipeline

17AndBalding

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow that's hard, my hairline is like that right now and I'm 21 and a half. I started receding when I was 17 and a half. I'd say you should get on finasteride but you might be too young so don't take my word on it. Have you tried minoxidil/rogaine? Also to anyone who tells you that most men bald that's true but tell them to f*** off because it's completely different balding in late teens/early 20's. On the bright side since you're so young you'll be in time for the current treatments in the pipeline
Hey Fixthis,

Thanks for your reply. How has minoxidil been holding up for you? Has is been effective at all for you?

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Fixthis,

Thanks for your reply. How has minoxidil been holding up for you? Has is been effective at all for you?

I have a receding pattern but it's not been effective at all, I think it might have made my shedding worse but it's too hard to say if I would've been better of without it, but I've definitely lost ground on it. It did seem to grow some small hairs around my temple which are hard to see, that's why I'm trying to get on finasteride because minoxidil works best with finasteride. I would still advise using minoxidil and maybe wait till you're a little older for finasteride. This website has some very knowledgeable members like @Swoop maybe some of them can advise you better.

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
17AndBalding,

Unfortunately, hairloss can be very difficult, especially if you are still young when it starts. I started thinning around 19, so I can pretty much relate to what you are going through...I'm now 36 and thin but not bald yet..My hairloss is diffuse, although it was first noticeable at the temples amd crown..Since that point it seems to have thin throughout pretty evenly..One thing I can say is that it can be a pretty slow process...But when it all starts you feel like you will be bald in a year...It does seem that balding happens nowadays younger and younger...That makes me wonder if this is attributed to a change in our diet..

In any case, my advice to you is to come to grips with it as soon as possible...Although it sucks, your life doesnt have to stop in anyway or be any less...That part is all about you...The more comfortable you are with yourself the better your life will be..Hairloss doesnt have to stop you from being a strong and confident man..In reality, masculinity is the most important thing for men..Im not going to say that all women will be attracted to you if your bald or balding..What I am saying is that there will be plenty that will still be drawn to you and some will be attractive...The key factor is that you can handle this and not let it break you...Obviously, this is easier said then done..Hairloss is a hurdle, but it can be passed with some stregthening of your spirit...
I went through alot of the same feelings you have...I was really bummed out for most of my college years...I made due and focused on my studies...I tried to use it as motivation to excel careerwise...But still it hung over me and I know I missed out on some things..I slept with some women but I was kind of isolated always trying to hide my hairloss and defeat it...In short, I made myself miss out on some things...Looking back, I made things harder on myself then they needed to be..I could have enjoyed more women but I focused too much on this problem..

Today, like I said Im 36 and still not bald but very thin...Im married to a very good looking women and we have a five month old..Im motivated and career focused..For many years I used no treatments whatsoever...Recently, Ive had an itch to make another go and try a more complete regimen..In reality, you may always want to improve your hair, but it doesnt have to derail your life...Many years I wondered how things would end up..Would I get married? Would I just settle for someone to have kids? Would I be attracted to my wife? I didnt settle and yes my wife is pretty hot..I guess deep down I always knew I would figure things out...Here is my advice to you,

1. DO NOT LET THIS CONSUME YOU..
It's ok to try and treat the problem but dont obsess..

2. BECOME A STRONG MAN
Be the man women feel safe with..Be a rock

3. WORKOUT
you may or may not be able to stop your hairloss..you can be in amazing shape depending on the effort you put in..

4. DEVELOPE CONFIDENCE
be comfortable with yourself and in your skin..hairloss often takes an indivduals identity...dont let it take yours..let there be much more to you then hair..

5. LIVE YOUR LIFE
the more frieds you make and the more you get out there the more doors will open for you

6. IF YOU WANT TO TREAT IT - KEEP IT SIMPLE
Dont spend your life looking for the magic formulas or combos..we know what works..Start with something like Regenepure shampoo and Rogaine Foam..these two may give you some results..Later you can consider Finasteride if your open to it..As time goes on more things will be available..

Good luck

17AndBalding

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
17AndBalding,

Unfortunately, hairloss can be very difficult, especially if you are still young when it starts. I started thinning around 19, so I can pretty much relate to what you are going through...I'm now 36 and thin but not bald yet..My hairloss is diffuse, although it was first noticeable at the temples amd crown..Since that point it seems to have thin throughout pretty evenly..One thing I can say is that it can be a pretty slow process...But when it all starts you feel like you will be bald in a year...It does seem that balding happens nowadays younger and younger...That makes me wonder if this is attributed to a change in our diet..

In any case, my advice to you is to come to grips with it as soon as possible...Although it sucks, your life doesnt have to stop in anyway or be any less...That part is all about you...The more comfortable you are with yourself the better your life will be..Hairloss doesnt have to stop you from being a strong and confident man..In reality, masculinity is the most important thing for men..Im not going to say that all women will be attracted to you if your bald or balding..What I am saying is that there will be plenty that will still be drawn to you and some will be attractive...The key factor is that you can handle this and not let it break you...Obviously, this is easier said then done..Hairloss is a hurdle, but it can be passed with some stregthening of your spirit...
I went through alot of the same feelings you have...I was really bummed out for most of my college years...I made due and focused on my studies...I tried to use it as motivation to excel careerwise...But still it hung over me and I know I missed out on some things..I slept with some women but I was kind of isolated always trying to hide my hairloss and defeat it...In short, I made myself miss out on some things...Looking back, I made things harder on myself then they needed to be..I could have enjoyed more women but I focused too much on this problem..

Today, like I said Im 36 and still not bald but very thin...Im married to a very good looking women and we have a five month old..Im motivated and career focused..For many years I used no treatments whatsoever...Recently, Ive had an itch to make another go and try a more complete regimen..In reality, you may always want to improve your hair, but it doesnt have to derail your life...Many years I wondered how things would end up..Would I get married? Would I just settle for someone to have kids? Would I be attracted to my wife? I didnt settle and yes my wife is pretty hot..I guess deep down I always knew I would figure things out...Here is my advice to you,

2. BECOME A STRONG MAN

3. WORKOUT
you may or may not be able to stop your hairloss..you can be in amazing shape depending on the effort you put in..

4. DEVELOPE CONFIDENCE
be comfortable with yourself and in your skin..hairloss often takes an indivduals identity...dont let it take yours..let there be much more to you then hair..

5. LIVE YOUR LIFE
the more frieds you make and the more you get out there the more doors will open for you

Dont spend your life looking for the magic formulas or combos..we know what works..Start with something like Regenepure shampoo and Rogaine Foam..these two may give you some results..Later you can consider Finasteride if your open to it..As time goes on more things will be available..

Good luck
4myfuture,

Thank you for your comment. I'm doing my very best not to let it get to me, since there is so much out there in life to enjoy and I'm not intending on wasting it all by obsessing over this (even though it is very hard). I'm going to see a therapist and hopefully it will help me cope with this and other problems.

I'm not banking on any ''cure'' since it seems very unlikely to be in time even for me, but hopefully there will be some sort of treatment within a few years that could help. Here is to praying.

Also thanks for the advice, I have been working out for the last couple of months and trying to improve that aspect of myself. It looks good but not really giving me the confidence I needed yet lol. Maybe in a few years when I'm out of this puberty age I will give less of a damn about it.

17AndBalding

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried seeing your doctor or any dermatologist?
Hajo1992,

I have indeed seen a dermatologist in january this year. He told me what I expected and said I have male pattern baldness and showed me I was a norwood 2 on the scale. He also told me it could slow down from here and that I might be completely bald by 40 (if I'm lucky I suppose, this happened to my uncles).

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
17AndBalding,

2. BECOME A STRONG MAN

3. WORKOUT

4. DEVELOPE CONFIDENCE

5. LIVE YOUR LIFE

Good luck
.....AND SAVE THE UNIVERSE!

What the f***.. Is it guide how to be buzz astral or what