17 and losing Hair - thyroid vs male pattern baldness?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm 17 and I'm losing hair and yesterday I got a haircut and this time what happened was that the middle part of the scalp is showing really badly. Is this due to hair loss in that area being high or is it due to the short hair cut?

Also, over the past several months I've been feeling really tired and having symptoms related to hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism so could that possibly be the reason why I'm losing hair?

I can't tell if this is male pattern baldness, telogen effluvium (school stress) or alopecia areata (autoimmune disorder).

I've order for a TSH test and will be waiting to hear back from the Doctor soon. Any inputs would be appreciated as to what's going on with my hair?

I've always had fine hair and a high hairline but now I have no idea if it's thinning which is seems like it is And if it is receding.

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
It's next to impossible to give you any worthwhile opinion without seeing some pictures. Anything less is just random speculation from our parts.

Reaction score
Snapshot_20151118_2.jpg
Snapshot_20151118_13.jpg
Snapshot_20151118_10.jpgSnapshot_20151118_12.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

thoughts? and once again just got a haircut - before the hair cut i barely saw my scalp. Any thoughts or inputs? Is it male pattern baldness or Thyroid? I have symptoms for thyroid and my mom actually has thyroid (Hashimotos / Hypthyroidism) , so i'm leaning more towards that than male pattern baldness. Although my dad is partially bald now at 50 but his balding wasn't until his early to mid 40's. 17 just seems oddly early to start going bald.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20151118_12.jpg
    Snapshot_20151118_12.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 254

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
If you look around the forum you'll find loads of people who started balding at 16-17 years old, so it's not super uncommon. It seems like you could just have a mature hairline; meaning that it naturally isn't straight and might remain that way the rest of your life. The pics of the side of your head don't really mean anything either way. The one of the top does show a little thinning but again, this could just be your natural hair thickness as a lot of asian hair is more fine. The quality isn't that great; isn't there a better camera you can use? It's really difficult to draw anything from them. If I was you I would consult a dermatologist to get a better opinion on it.