17 and hair loss is ruining my life ( pictures included)

Reaction score
pretty much ive been receding for a while now, since summer of 2015 id say, and i feel as if my sides are starting to thin out and diffuse, im scared of taking finasteride because of the side effects, this is really effecting me both physically and mentally, im always depressed and stressed out, btw my dads side of the family is completely bald, he went bald at 23, only one who isnt bald is his dad who went bald at 60, my moms side is the thick set of hair side, my grandpa whos 80 still has a thick set of hair, its my temples that really brother me, when i dont lift it up my hair my temple rescissionlook unnoticable but with time i know itll get worse and soon uncurable.
Snapchat-4938258471359200252.jpgSnapchat-4981126281542669726.jpgSnapchat-5761696494677097531.jpgSnapchat-7460176909305383101.jpgSnapchat-8054148330668693002.jpg
and what norwood would i be

Ebony

Reaction score
Well the good news is you aren't that advanced on the norwood scale just yet, so if you think you're going to recede more and become like your dad and his line then you have to take the steps to keep what you already have. It sounds scary at first that you have to do something every day to maintain your hair, but think about other things you do everyday. You brush your teeth everyday, to make sure they stay healthy and clean. That's how you have to think about your hair now. You stop brushing, your teeth will start rotting. You stop maintaining your hair regimen, it will start going to ****.

finasteride is understandably a difficult choice to make because we all (most at least) value our sex lives and don't want to be a limpdick. I myself thought this way. However, you must understand YOU ARE LOSING YOUR HAIR. Your hairline is abandoning you. If you don't do ****, then you may as well accept being bald. Furthermore, the actual studies say there's very little chance you will get side effects. Plenty go through this process. First they want to try something natural and easy, like taking your vitamins and applying oils and keto shampoo. But while this may bring healthier hair, this alone won't maintain your hairline, because it does nothing about DHT, which causes hair loss.

The one thing I don't take is minoxidil, because that is too much maintenance to bother with and I like camping outdoors for days. Not to mention it causes massive shedding for some, and guaranteed shedding when you get off it.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks like it's still thick where it grows. Take finasteride. You only have two choices, not do anything and go bald or do something and keep a fullish head of hair for (presumably) decades. Getting sides or not, is not a choice. Don't let it affect your decision too much. Driving a car can get you killed, doesn't mean you shouldn't drive a car.

Take finasteride, if you notice any sides, you can just quit with it. Why not try?

eenough

Reaction score
I'm 17 too, and I'm wondering why not take minoxodil for a start instead of finasteride?
But whatever your choice is, please update me because I'm curious to know how a guy my age would handle it because I have no clue what to do.

Ebony

Reaction score
I'm 17 too, and I'm wondering why not take minoxodil for a start instead of finasteride?
But whatever your choice is, please update me because I'm curious to know how a guy my age would handle it because I have no clue what to do.

Minoxidil doesn't keep your hair, it is just to help your hair grow thicker and faster. You will still recede if you are only on minoxidil.

firstpost

Banned
Reaction score
I'm 18, if I start minoxidil what's a usual time frame that Minoxidil would keep my hair?

Look into minoxidil studies. It loses effectiveness after ~2 years. You will need higher and higher concentrations for it to work.

My belief is that every concerned balding man should try finasteride first. Start with small dose and see how your body tolerates it. If you get really bad sides, you stop and look for alternative.

shookwun

Reaction score
Another case of BDD.

Reaction score
how so ?

- - - Updated - - -

how so ?

- - - Updated - - -

im not sure, i mean im sheding alot when i shower and on my pillow i find at least 5 to 10 hairs at times

shookwun

Reaction score
Have a full head of hair.

Don't see any recession let alone diffuse around the hairline. No signs that indicate you are in the early stages.\

temples and forelock have the same density.

Reaction score
20160321_011103.jpg20160321_011108.jpg20160321_011121.jpg20160321_011146.jpg20160321_011240.jpg20160321_011243.jpg20160321_011247.jpg
not sure if im just really paranoid or not, but im starting to see hair thinning around the corners and whenever i wash my hair i always find hairs in my hand, not sure if its always been like this and im just really realizing it now ( also this year is the first time ive ever actually grown my hair out)
btw thank all you guys for the help

- - - Updated - - -

bump

- - - Updated - - -

bump

Reaction score
Hey guys im back, i have an update, its been around 3 months since i last posted so hee are some pictures of my hairline now
again do you guys think its gotten worse or better or just stayed the same ?
what norwood ? im saying around 1.5 or 2
im currently using minoxdil

Attachments

• w0w1.jpg
    w0w1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 466
  • w0w2.jpg
    w0w2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 410
  • w0w3.jpg
    w0w3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 401
  • w0w4.jpg
    w0w4.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 432
  • w0w5.jpg
    w0w5.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 431

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest I am more worried by the father being bald young than the actual pictures, which show just a slight temple recession.
That recession could just be a natural evolution of the hairline and remain like that forever. BUT if you come from a bald "family" (as I) then you should act ASAP with minoxidil now and finasteride later.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another case of BDD.

Yeah, I saw the pics and immediately thought 'holy crap, what a dense mop of a head of hair'.... If only I was so fortunate.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the pics and immediately thought 'holy crap, what a dense mop of a head of hair'.... If only I was so fortunate.

Watch out: curly hair seems denser than straight hair (above a certain point; below that, it's even shittier).
I had curly hair in my teens. When the derm looked into it, he was astonished and went: "you wouldn't have said it was so thin from the front"