16 Yr Old Son Losing Hair. Mob According To Dr!

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.

At 13 my son had acne on his face and in his hair which lasted a year or so. By the time he was 14, he had a full beard...and I mean full so not sure if hormones come into play.
Within that year I noticed that his hair was thinning. He also had the most horrible smell emanating from his head. Even after washing it would smell. By the age of 15 his hair had receded both sides at the crown and the front of his hair started growing very dry and wiry...his hair is usually straight. I took him to the Dr and they said it was male pattern baldness and refused any other ideas. Fast forward to now, his hair is getting very thin on the top.
I do not believe it's male pattern baldness. After washing his hair, my son has lots of little 'balls' left in his hair which I believe is sebum. His follicles look enlarged on the top of his head, he has small red circular patches on his scalp and his scalp is often very pink. I have also noticed small flat circular scales around the follicles.
He has autism and has a very poor dietary intake due to this.
He was found to be deficient in vit d a couple of years ago and low on iron. After supplements his hair started growing back slightly either side but wispy. His hair still has that really horrible smell but last night we used nizoral along with peppermint conditioner and his hair does not smell today at all - which is a first!
We are in the UK and I am wondering where I can go from here as the GP is no help whatsoever and insisting it's male pattern baldness due to his father losing hair young.

Thanks. Tinks

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should demand your GP to refer you to a dermatologist. We did that, and we got put on the referral list as urgent. Just incase, say that his hair is making him suicidal and severely depressed, and he feels like he no longer wants to live. That's what I did, and they referred me.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.

At 13 my son had acne on his face and in his hair which lasted a year or so. By the time he was 14, he had a full beard...and I mean full so not sure if hormones come into play.
Within that year I noticed that his hair was thinning. He also had the most horrible smell emanating from his head. Even after washing it would smell. By the age of 15 his hair had receded both sides at the crown and the front of his hair started growing very dry and wiry...his hair is usually straight. I took him to the Dr and they said it was male pattern baldness and refused any other ideas. Fast forward to now, his hair is getting very thin on the top.
I do not believe it's male pattern baldness. After washing his hair, my son has lots of little 'balls' left in his hair which I believe is sebum. His follicles look enlarged on the top of his head, he has small red circular patches on his scalp and his scalp is often very pink. I have also noticed small flat circular scales around the follicles.
He has autism and has a very poor dietary intake due to this.
He was found to be deficient in vit d a couple of years ago and low on iron. After supplements his hair started growing back slightly either side but wispy. His hair still has that really horrible smell but last night we used nizoral along with peppermint conditioner and his hair does not smell today at all - which is a first!
We are in the UK and I am wondering where I can go from here as the GP is no help whatsoever and insisting it's male pattern baldness due to his father losing hair young.

Thanks. Tinks
I hope everything goes well though!

Last edited: