16 YO with bad receding hairline (PICS included) PLEASE HELP

ADS

Reaction score
Since early summer 2012, a few months before I turned 16, I started to notice my receding hairline. Since then it has worsened dramatically and has caused me some serious stress. I had noticed a lot of hairs falling out in the past while washing/drying my hair but never really thought anything of it until I noticed my hairline. I have a family history of it as my mom's brother is completely bald and my dad is almost bald. I have medium length hair so I've been able to cover it pretty easily, but now it's getting to the point where I can't hide it anymore. My bangs are thinning pretty bad and my hairline has receded even worse on one side than the other. When I try to tell my mom she doesn't take me seriously at all, it is extremely frustrating. My dad seems to have more sympathy because he has gone through it himself. I'm lucky enough to come from a well-to-do family so I don't think money should be much of an issue, I just don't know where to get help. I've heard dermatologists are just a waist of time and most hair loss clinics don't have anything to do with you until your at least in your 20s. Is there anything you can do to help regrow your hairline and stop hair-loss at such a young age? This whole thing has made me extremely self-conscious and while I'm normally a pretty outgoing guy, it has made me just want to stay home instead of go out with friends. I'm even too embarrassed to mention it to my girlfriend or friends. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Does anyone have ANY advice? Please help, Thanks.
Hair (1).jpgHair (2).jpgHair (3).jpgHair (4).jpg

Use r Name

Reaction score
I feel you, bro. Any pics where you've styled it and it's unnoticeable? ALL my friends have perfect hair lines and mine is so ****ed up it's unreal...Don't worry brah, we're gunna make it! Don't stress. Just accept it my friend, that's what I have done

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
With a heavy heart, kid, I have to say you have Androgenetic Alopecia. Given your European heritage (if I am not mistaken), it has settled in at such a young age that you will likely be all slick bald by late 20's or so, if not sooner. I don't know your exact ethnicity, but I think in some closed circuit ethnicities in Europe, baltic and Russian regions, most, if not all, men in town go bald by early 20's. If you just look around your particular region and if it is more of a homogeneous society, and you see bald men even in 20's commonly, then you know you are part of the gene pool.

Your hairline has receded significantly and the crown is showing early signs when it starts its cycle of balding. But, I can only hope that it does not proceed as fast as it has; and sometimes it does go more slowly after initial "burst." Just pray that you can pull it off until your are grown up a little and decide what you like to do.

I highly doubt any doctor would advise you on finasteride or other drugs. Most likely they would recommend minoxidil, if anything at all. You are just too young for any drug. If anyone else has better advice for you considering your age etc., will post here. In the meantime, read our past posts to see whats going on in this hairloss world.

Lastly, do not lose hope and keep the faith- with time, it gets better. Feel free to post any question you may have

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely minoxidil, you should start as soon as possible. I recommend the foam, it's wonderful and causes no skin irritation. You're still too young for finasteride, ask your dermatologist about it. Nizoral is another option. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

ADS

Reaction score
With a heavy heart, kid, I have to say you have Androgenetic Alopecia. Given your European heritage (if I am not mistaken), it has settled in at such a young age that you will likely be all slick bald by late 20's or so, if not sooner. I don't know your exact ethnicity, but I think in some closed circuit ethnicities in Europe, baltic and Russian regions, most, if not all, men in town go bald by early 20's. If you just look around your particular region and if it is more of a homogeneous society, and you see bald men even in 20's commonly, then you know you are part of the gene pool.

Your hairline has receded significantly and the crown is showing early signs when it starts its cycle of balding. But, I can only hope that it does not proceed as fast as it has; and sometimes it does go more slowly after initial "burst." Just pray that you can pull it off until your are grown up a little and decide what you like to do.

I highly doubt any doctor would advise you on finasteride or other drugs. Most likely they would recommend minoxidil, if anything at all. You are just too young for any drug. If anyone else has better advice for you considering your age etc., will post here. In the meantime, read our past posts to see whats going on in this hairloss world.

Lastly, do not lose hope and keep the faith- with time, it gets better. Feel free to post any question you may have
So basically, I'm going to go bald before I even get married and there is nothing I can do about it?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
the crown doesn't show signs of thinning at least from that photo

I'd go and see a hair expert(s) /doctors and talk to them about the options. You say you're from a well to do family so maybe they will be able to fund hair transplants if they're sympathetic. This combined with Propecia when you're old enough (20+) could help you maintain a good head of hair.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
So basically, I'm going to go bald before I even get married and there is nothing I can do about it?
There is but you are too young for a somewhat magic pill called finasteride. because your body is still growing until age 19 or so. You should see a derm and see what his thoughts are. Other than finasteride., minoxidil is another suitable option in the interim. Or you may just wait until you are in 20s and then see if you can start on finasteride etc. after evaluating its side effects such as sperm defects etc.

You are not going bald overnight; so don't be despair. There are a lot of people worse off than you are. I am glad you asked questions and do not hesitate to talk to us

Kimkitten

Reaction score
GET THE FOLLOWING ITEMS NOW!

- 2.0mm Dermaroller
- Men's foam minoxidil (twice daily)
- 2% Ketoconazole shampoo and use it three times a week OR 1% ketoconazole shampoo and use it every second day
- Very high-quality Multi-vitamin and fish oil
- Nutrition knowledge
- Bodybuilding knowledge

Every day before you apply minoxidil quickly dermarolling around your temples, hairline, and where you're going to put the minoxidil. Avoid pulling hair out this way, wet hair helps. Use your keto shampoo in the shower as I directed above, and keep it on for 5-8 minutes.

Keep this up until you are 18-20, then get on Finasteride 1.25mg daily (Proscar cut into quarters using a pill cutter).

While you're at it hit the gym up now and start getting size about you. Browse t-nation and bodybuilding.com for info, as well as reading Joe Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Make sure you're taking a high-quality mutli like AOR Ortho-Core, and fish oil per day, as well as a TOP diet (try organic where possible). Read Lyle McDonald's Body Recomposition website for more information in that respect.

Next make sure to get a test done by your doctor to see your hormonal levels, whether you have any vitamin deficiencies, as well as a possible thyroid problem. Moreover, make sure to check for any allergies to dairy, gluten etc. This will eliminate all external factors, as well as give you the opportunity to see what your hormonal levels are and whether or not that is playing a role.

Do this and you'll have a great head start on your peers. This should buy you a couple of years hair, in my opinion. Plus give you some decent size to help your confidence. Then once you hit 18 get another hormone test, then get on finasteride, wait 6-12 months and do another test to compare.

Because of your age you are in a good position to come out of this alive. Moreover, if you do manage to maintain on finasteride you should be able to get a hair transplant. Don't forget people like Dr Gho can provide regrowth in their hair transplant's, just the density isn't that good sometimes. So you could get a good hairline by one surgeon, and use DR gho to fill in behind. Besides, the Tsuji Lab in Japan looks good for a cure in the future.

Have faith.

But if all else fails, remember these pains for when it comes time to consider children. We must end this disease, and the suffering that comes with it.

It ends with us! NEVER PASS THIS ONTO INNOCENT CHILDREN! BALD PARENTS EQUALS CHILD ABUSE!!!!!!!!11

Edit: As for your hair, keep the sides and back shorter. You'll take the emphasis off the temples this way. Longer hair also can be harder to hide recession with than shorter hair, so play around with it a bit to find the ideal length. Consider using a matte hair gel to give your hair more hold, allowing you to style it how you wish throughout the day.

These next few years are going to be tough, but make sure to focus hard on aesthetics and education. Plan for when you're 21-25 and have your NW1 or NW2 back with a ripped body and strong facial aesthetic thanks to possible maxfac surgery (study facial aesthetics too). There are options but you must act now and take it seriously. Time for being a kid is over. male pattern baldness HAS RIPPED YOUR INNOCENCE AWAY FROM YOU. THERE IS NO GOING BACK NOW. CONSIDER SURGICAL OPTIONS IF NECESSARY. PLEASE!

We're all gonna make it. Believe me.

Are you having a laugh? Idiot.

Seriously dude, I don't think that your hairline looks that bad. And there's defiantly no signs of thinning on top of your head. My advice to you is just to buy some finasteride and minoxidil online and hope for the best. Since your hairloss hasn't gone too far, I think that your chances look really good!