16, Very Early Crown Thinning, Thoughts, Treatment? [pics Included]

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker, this is my first real post. I just turned 16 and I've recently noticed some signs of very minor thinning in my crown area. The only reason I picked up on it so early is because I've been so obsessed with the possibility that I've been checking my crown almost every day for signs of thinning, starting last year and becoming more and more frequent and obsessive until now. It all started last year, when someone at school pointed out that it looked like I had a 'bald spot' at the very center of the crown area. However, that turned out to be a result of my hair sticking up in the crown area and looking thin rather than real hair loss. I also never had any noticeable shed, but I did notice that a miniaturized hair or two was falling sometimes when I rubbed my crown, which freaked me out a lot. I kept telling myself that this was normal, as I read that everyone has a few miniaturized hairs, and I also shed a few of these hairs from other parts of my hair like the sides and top. (No hair loss there)

Nevertheless, my obsession kept eating at me (One reason for this is that my scalp would show sometimes if I messed up my hair/ combed it the wrong way) and I kept examining my hair in the mirror, and I even went to a dermatologist in December 2016, who, after looking at my hair for a few seconds, declared I had no hair loss whatsoever.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it, as after a while, I got right back to checking my hair every day for signs of miniaturization, unsure of any hair loss. That is, until the end of last month, when I noticed a spot near (slightly above and to the right) my whorl where there were a few clearly miniaturized (vellus) hairs among the other hairs, and there was reduced density in the same area.

Thinking that these were surefire signs of hairloss, I panicked and was kind of depressed for a week or two. During those weeks, I kept checking and rechecking my crown and was terribly worried. I was noticing that I was shedding miniaturized hairs from this area very frequently, almost every time I scratch my crown area, which was definitely an early indicator. Finally, about a week or two ago, I suddenly accepted that I had hair loss and stopped trying to convince myself otherwise, and I stopped worrying so much since it's so minor. Keep in mind that the 'thinning' isn't noticeable at all unless my hair is parted directly on that area, and even then it isn't too noticeable. I know it sounds really pathetic and that my hair loss is really slow and tiny but the psychological aspect of it has messed with my life way too much.

Whew that was long and probably very poorly written (Sorry about that lol). Anyway, I think that if my hair loss continues at this rate and it doesn't become aggressive, then I'll have a noticeably thinner crown by 18. (My hairline is fine I think, hasn't really changed other than maturing to maybe a Norwood 1.2 in the past two years)

I definitely want to try and keep my hair for as long as possible, so I'm thinking of starting minoxidil 5% soon. I know it's a lifetime commitment and won't stop the actual balding process, but I feel like using it will put me at ease and lessen my worrying about hair loss. Also, since my loss is really minor now I think I can regrow/thicken up completely if I start soon, right? For the long term plan, I'll think about finasteride when I turn 18, if there isn't a better treatment out by then (don't want to mess with any hormones as of right now :\ ).

As for my family history, I don't really have too much hair loss in my family as far as I know. My dad's side males had some frontal recession (NW2-3) in their 40s and 50s, but not any bald relatives there. My mom's dad is in his 70's with no hair loss, however my mom has thin hair.

So, after reading all of that, what do you think? Should I start minoxidil or wait it out 2 years until I'm 18?
Here are some pictures. (the L shaped cowlick / whorl has been there forever, the thinning is more above where I part it)
clear1.jpg
flash1.jpg
long1.jpg
short1.jpg
short2.jpg

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought that too, but I shed so many miniaturized hairs from that area and it looks less dense than the rest of my hair.

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me, it looks like very early male pattern baldness. However, it might just be how your hair has always been. It's definitely thinner there, I had the same thing and thought it was nothing. However, 3 years later it is obvious crown thinning (on my part).

At this point I think the best course of action would be to just use Nizoral shampoo. Maybe Minoxidil, but you're at a point right now where no one would even think you're shedding. So I wouldn't recommend going through the Minoxidil shed, especially because you'd have to use it for life and we're not even 100% sure you have hair loss. I would advise against Finasteride at 16, you need DHT at that age.

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will it hurt to start minoxidil? I read that it shouldn't affect the actual hair loss process apart from the initial shed and the shed when you quit. So if I start minoxidil and it turns out that I don't have male pattern baldness, then if I quit later on, my hair should go back to baseline after the shed, right?

In the case that I do decide to take minoxidil, my area of thinning is really small right now (1-2 cm) so should I only use enough to cover that area (will probably only take about 1/4 ml), or should I cover the whole crown?

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me, it looks like very early male pattern baldness. However, it might just be how your hair has always been. It's definitely thinner there, I had the same thing and thought it was nothing. However, 3 years later it is obvious crown thinning (on my part).

At this point I think the best course of action would be to just use Nizoral shampoo. Maybe Minoxidil, but you're at a point right now where no one would even think you're shedding. So I wouldn't recommend going through the Minoxidil shed, especially because you'd have to use it for life and we're not even 100% sure you have hair loss. I would advise against Finasteride at 16, you need DHT at that age.

Would nizoral by itself help at all with regrowth?

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would nizoral by itself help at all with regrowth?

It can, there's a study linked somewhere. They found 2% Nizoral was as effective as 2% Minoxidil in regrowing hair. I think they used it twice a week. If anything, it could potentially slow down your hairloss which is good by itself because most people wouldn't even think twice about your hairloss today. It looks like your crown is thinning, but it also just might be your natural cowlick. Without having prior pictures, if I had to guess it's the start of crown thinning though. I had that same thing... 5 years ago, and it took me 5 years to get to the point where it's visible hairloss to others.

Will it hurt to start minoxidil? I read that it shouldn't affect the actual hair loss process apart from the initial shed and the shed when you quit. So if I start minoxidil and it turns out that I don't have male pattern baldness, then if I quit later on, my hair should go back to baseline after the shed, right?

In the case that I do decide to take minoxidil, my area of thinning is really small right now (1-2 cm) so should I only use enough to cover that area (will probably only take about 1/4 ml), or should I cover the whole crown?

It depends. The thing with Minoxidil is that after you stop, it takes roughly a year for your hair to get back to baseline. So, when you're on it, your hair might thicken up. However, if you quit your hair is worse than when you started (because now all of your hair is on the same cycle), and it takes roughly a year for your original hair to regrow to the point it was at baseline. It's almost like a 2 year experiment for such minimal hairloss. It can also cause dark circles around the eyes and other side effects (they'll also go away when you stop), but it's up to you if you think it's worth it at this point. I'd personally just start with Nizoral, google the 2% study.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thought it was just a cowlick until I saw your final photo. You can see scalp a couple inches above your cowlick and you can almost make our the circular pattern your hairloss will take. I could definitely be wrong but that is just my impression.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
thought it was just a cowlick until I saw your final photo. You can see scalp a couple inches above your cowlick and you can almost make our the circular pattern your hairloss will take. I could definitely be wrong but that is just my impression.

Agree, could be natural but definitely an abnormally large thin looking area. I think he is balding.

jumptr

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hmm. That right area above the crown does look a bit thinner in the last picture, but when I look at that area now, it doesn't look any thinner. I would say that's just a weird combination of the lighting, wavy hair, and blur in the photo since there are other non thinning areas that look the same. I also have naturally low density hair on the sides and top.

Either way, I agree it's too early to tell if anything's going on. I'll take more pics over the course of the next 6 - 12 months and report back. Funny, because I told myself the same thing exactly a year ago, and I still can't tell. Maybe I should have taken pictures starting back then.