16 months(1 year and 4 months) on finasteride. What to do now?

samabrott

Reaction score
I have religiously been taking 1 mg generic finasteride from my pharmacy since mid May 2014. I thought, let me give it some time after the 12 month mark, but alas no change. My front lock not only has decreased in density significatnly, my hairline has receeded to the point where i can feel my scalp with my figers on the middle of head near the temple regions. I had no success with minoxidil earlier but am starting now. Have been using the 2% ketoconazole shampoo consistently as well.

Is this time to call it quits with Finasteride and start dutasteride? And if so where is a reliable place to start dutasteride?

Sept 2015

IMG_2921.jpg IMG_2917.jpgIMG_2914.jpgIMG_2912.jpg

May 2014

photo 4.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don t know what are you talking about, at least to me your hair looks better

samabrott

Reaction score
The bottom pictures of me in the red shirt is of when I started. At least from what it looks on my computer I do have the dates correct. The top pics of me in the grey shirt is now. I can feel places around my temple that I have not felt before

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should stay on finasteride...your hair looks about the same as it did from over a year ago...in fact I think you are responding quite well to finasteride...there teally is no reason for you to switch over to dutasteride considering that your hair is still in the early stages of balding and like I said finasteride is doing its job

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't see any change at all. That's a massive success. Stay on finasteride, there's really no need to bother with minoxidil.

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
I would actually recommend Rogaine foam. I had no change on finasteride or was going downhill (I think), but after getting on rogaine foam my hairline has noticeably improved.

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair definitely looks improved in the 2015 pics. Looks like you did gain some density and coverage on your temples.

samabrott

Reaction score
Guys I think these images should clear some things up on how drastic the 1.5 year change has been:

March 27 2015Photo on 3-27-15 at 7.47 PM.jpgPhoto on 3-27-15 at 7.47 PM #3.jpg

July 25th 2015 Photo on 7-25-15 at 5.19 PM.jpgPhoto on 7-25-15 at 5.19 PM #3.jpg

candlelight

Reaction score
Your density has improved a lot the one with the red is clearly a pic of you balding while in the grey shirt it is not. you clearly can see you have more hair ;-)

wish i had results like you!
for me it's the other way around.

could be the lighting but don't worry and stay on it ;-)

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your density has improved a lot the one with the red is clearly a pic of you balding while in the grey shirt it is not. you clearly can see you have more hair ;-)

wish i had results like you!
for me it's the other way around.

could be the lighting but don't worry and stay on it ;-)

Oh dear. Look at the dates again.

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, over 1.5 years, you have lost around your hairline area. I'm not sure how old you are and when your hairloss started but usually people who start losing their hair earlier at a young age tend to have more aggressive male pattern baldness. I would say most of the time those who lose their hair early in life are not able to stop their hairloss with just Finasteride, they need finasteride/dutasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral all together, and even then you are lucky if you are able to maintain. My advice to you is to use the Big 3 for a while, if you dont see improvement after 6 months, get on dutasteride.