16 And Going Bald Already?, Please Help..

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes its male pattern baldness, and yes you're ****ed (i was 16 when mine started as well) it's never good when it starts young.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope, no sides whatsoever. Most people don't get any side effects. Some do though. Again, you're still going through puberty so it's difficult to say how it will affect you. You just have to weigh up the potential risks vs the potential benefits.

jsmith123

Reaction score
If i was to wait 6 months would my hair be in a pretty bad state?, I would be willing to give finasteride a try by then (my 17th birthday). What dosage would you recommend for finasteride golden?, 0.5 daily? or start lower?
and barf, does mine look pretty fast/bad?. Will it be pretty bad shape in say a year?. Should i definitely hop on maximum treatments right away?.

- - - Updated - - -

How would finasteride be effecting me by taking it at this age ?, after all it is only blocking testosterone being converted into DHT right?, How is that going to cause major issues for my body if it is still in development phase?

der29

Established Member
Reaction score
If i was to wait 6 months would my hair be in a pretty bad state?, I would be willing to give finasteride a try by then (my 17th birthday). What dosage would you recommend for finasteride golden?, 0.5 daily? or start lower?
and barf, does mine look pretty fast/bad?. Will it be pretty bad shape in say a year?. Should i definitely hop on maximum treatments right away?.

- - - Updated - - -

How would finasteride be effecting me by taking it at this age ?, after all it is only blocking testosterone being converted into DHT right?, How is that going to cause major issues for my body if it is still in development phase?

I don't think its wise to be altering your endocrine system at such a young age.

jsmith123

Reaction score
I am willing to take my chances.. I will rather be put into a grave before i am heavily balded by age 18. In my area that is social suicide, i would much rather risk taking finasteride then not taking it and losing hair at this age. Is there a possibility i will be fine with taking finasteride?, or am i guaranteed to get some weird side effects/issues due to my age ?

SurveenA4

Reaction score
Have you consult any doctor. It is necessary to consult a good doctor before it goes very disaster.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am willing to take my chances.. I will rather be put into a grave before i am heavily balded by age 18. In my area that is social suicide, i would much rather risk taking finasteride then not taking it and losing hair at this age. Is there a possibility i will be fine with taking finasteride?, or am i guaranteed to get some weird side effects/issues due to my age ?

Yes there is a possibility that you will be fine and have no side effects. If you were 18% then that possibility would be something like 95%+, but at 16 it is difficult to say. But yeah, you aren't guaranteed to get any sides and there is a possibility that you'll have no side effects. We can't give you any probability figures though, since no studies have been conducted on under 18s

drgs

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, only 16. Chances are with such predisposition you will not be able to do anything about it

What happens next is that you spend several months worrying, but then accept it and cut your hair short. After 20 years when you are only 36, technological singularity opens all undiscovered secrets of science, including cure for baldness

TinTin

Reaction score

You really need to carefully weigh your options. Technically, it's just hair and you're a guy, so it's not really a big deal. Also, why not try the "safe" treatments first? They might work for you.

Also, you should make sure male pattern baldness is the reason for your hairloss. If not, the Big 3 wouldn't work for you anyway.

jsmith123

Reaction score
Why would the big 3 not work for me ?. Yes i know about how its 'just hair' etc however in my area (predominantly dominated by surf culture and long hair) especially at my age i would legitimately rather be dead than to lose my hair. If i was to be start taking the big 3 now whilst my hair is as it is and still salvageable wouldnt that be able to atleast maintain it and halt this?

drgs

Banned
Reaction score
I suspect it could be something else, hair loss at 16 sounds a bit at odds to me
Check with you doctor, maybe its something stupid like iron deficiency

jsmith123

Reaction score
Well i hope so, If it is anything, i only noticed this very recently that it was thinning out and seemed to be over such a short time frame. Coincidently right over a 7 week period that my diet/excercise took an all time plummet compared to what it used to be before i noticed this thinning. Also it isnt just thinning at the very front, it seems my hair has thinned maybe 3/4 of the way down my left top side and not as drastic on the right side compared to the left ?. I definitely dont want to jump on the denial band wagon however. Also might it be possible that the haircut i received has made it look worse than it is/ giving the illusion i am losing my hair compared to when i had a thick looking head of hair just beforehand albeit still looked thinning at the front mid section. Maybe my hair is re cycling and i had alot of bad hairs fall out due to diet or something?. There is a whole lot of possibilities right?, my parents and everyone else think it is very odd that it could be kicking in at this age but it certainly is possible, right ?.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe. It's impossible to say for sure though. Usually when hair loss starts very young it is very aggressive. Very aggressive cases are less likely to be successful. On the other hand hair regrowth is best in people who have only recently lost hair and for you it has been very recent, so that may act in your benefit. A multifaceted approach is more likely to be successful, for example a systemic alpha 5 reductase inhibitor (finasteride), a topical androgen receptor blocker (spironolacetone), a growth stimulant (minoxidil) and nizoral. If I had an aggressive case I would go with all of them. Finasteride is the most important and effective of these treatments, but also the most risky.

jsmith123

Reaction score
If i was to use spironolactone, minoxidil and nizoral would that hopefully hold out my hair for another year and a half?, or would that not do anything and my hair would just get worse and worse?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody knows. It's a safer option, but typically spironolactone is not as effective as finasteride in preventing hair loss and promoting follicle recovery, and your case is early and aggressive. It's less of a risk to your health (no risk really) but more of a risk to the likelihood of saving your hair.

jsmith123

Reaction score
I am willing to take the risk with propecia in about 5 months time when i am 17. I am not sure if my hair has got to this point over a very long, slow point of time or if it is being lost at an alarming rate. If i was to get onto spironolactone, minoxidil , nizoral and finasteride (if it is deemed safe by my doctor/derm) within the next few months that would pretty much preserve my hair for quite a while atleast?. Just losing my hair right now is not an option, im already becoming seriously suicidal at the *thought* of it being noticeably lost, i can only imagine whats going to happen when it actually does start kicking in properly.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
We can't tell you man to be totally honest. Hopefully they'll let you keep what you have or slow down the loss until you get on finasteride, but there are no definite answers. If you do decide to stick with topcals until you're 17 then you should get as many types as possible, topical androgen blockers and topical alpha 5 reductase inhibitors combined with minoxidil and nizoral. Be aware that hair loss treatments are often accompanied by an initial shedding phase which can be quite distressing. Not always, but it is common. It's important not to quit during this phase

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Listen, when clear cut male pattern baldness hits that early, you are ****ED probably even if you take the big 3. You're 16, still have AT LEAST 5 years left of development, take my advice : don't take any internal drugs, and start bracing for the inevitable bald head. Try minoxidil/nizoral maybe they'll help for a bit, but realize aggressive male pattern baldness from a young age is usually a death sentence in terms of keeping your hair.

jsmith123

Reaction score
I will definitely get some spironolactone, minoxidil and nizoral asap and discuss with a derm when the earliest safest time i could get on finasteride is. What times throughout the day should i be applying those products?