16 And Fearing Hair-loss By Genetics

Arman Oliver

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all

I come from a very spiritual family that swears by home remedies. One such is coconut oil. My grandfather has reasonable hair for 80, while my dad is very-obviously losing it in the front. My grandfather uses coconut oil frequently, my dad stopped after his teens.

My father's hair began to fall starting at 29. He moved to a 100% foreign country around the same age and frequently tells me he felt a huge amount of stress and trouble trying to adjust to the country. My mother has reasonable hair for mid-40's, and you wouldn't tell she lost hair at all just by looking.

You all here are very experienced, does rubbing onion juice or coconut oil on your scalp even make a difference? Does shampooing twice a week and using hair gel (washing it off and re-applying regularly) daily make you lose hair? Is it all genetic? Given my mom's limited hair loss, what do you guys see for my loss in the future?

Thanks,

Arman

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the onion juice. But it sounds like a load of crap. Because sadly if it that was all that was required to combat male pattern baldness a lot of us probably wouldn't be on this forum. The main thing is you say your Dad didn't start to lose hair till 29, that's a decent age to start. But you shouldn't be looking at your mom for signs of hair loss but the men on her side of the family; Ex. Her father, brother etc...

Coconut oil has been said to be beneficial to helping grow hair, I can't say if its 100% true, nor do I feel like doing research on the matter. The main point is that it doesn't combat DHT so regardless it won't stop male pattern baldness for progressing. Since male pattern baldness the main thing you need to combat is DHT. Sadly neither of these home remedies that your family swears by would do that. To combat DHT you need to use a DHT inhibitor it's what slows down / halts the progress of male pattern baldness; Ex. of a DHT inhibitor is finasteride.

As for shampooing twice a week, that's fine that's a good amount to be shampooing, you aren't doing it daily so you aren't constantly striping it of the essential oils. Using hair product is fine as well as long you washing it off regularly. How does your scalp feel out of curiosity is it dry? Do you have any sores or acne?

Now for the last question is it all genetic, pretty much yes. male pattern baldness is due to genetics, hence why people always state that if you start out balding at a young age you had bad genetics. People use their father, grandfathers, uncles as a resource to see a potential of what Norwood status they can expect to reach at a certain age, as well as a way to see what age did it begin to start.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any consensus about what age hair loss first starts affecting most balding men?

The majority guys on here seem to have first experienced hair loss in their early to mid teens.

First noticing balding after 30 seems to be 1 in 15 cases on here.

But I read research by George Cotsarelis, conducted as part of Follica research. It said that the average age that the male participants of the study first noticed signs of hair loss was like 31/32. And there were a lot of participants in this study.

So a much different story to what we hear on here.

Arman Oliver

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't comment on the onion juice. But it sounds like a load of crap. Because sadly if it that was all that was required to combat male pattern baldness a lot of us probably wouldn't be on this forum. The main thing is you say your Dad didn't start to lose hair till 29, that's a decent age to start. But you shouldn't be looking at your mom for signs of hair loss but the men on her side of the family; Ex. Her father, brother etc...

Coconut oil has been said to be beneficial to helping grow hair, I can't say if its 100% true, nor do I feel like doing research on the matter. The main point is that it doesn't combat DHT so regardless it won't stop male pattern baldness for progressing. Since male pattern baldness the main thing you need to combat is DHT. Sadly neither of these home remedies that your family swears by would do that. To combat DHT you need to use a DHT inhibitor it's what slows down / halts the progress of male pattern baldness; Ex. of a DHT inhibitor is finasteride.

As for shampooing twice a week, that's fine that's a good amount to be shampooing, you aren't doing it daily so you aren't constantly striping it of the essential oils. Using hair product is fine as well as long you washing it off regularly. How does your scalp feel out of curiosity is it dry? Do you have any sores or acne?

Now for the last question is it all genetic, pretty much yes. male pattern baldness is due to genetics, hence why people always state that if you start out balding at a young age you had bad genetics. People use their father, grandfathers, uncles as a resource to see a potential of what Norwood status they can expect to reach at a certain age, as well as a way to see what age did it begin to start.
Hi and extremely sorry for the late reply,

Thanks for that info. As a matter of fact, my scalp is rather dry, everytime the comb runs through the visibly-flaky areas on the scalp, it explodes into small flakes of white. How do I prevent this?

And, you'd mentioned looking at male hair patterns on the mother's side? I thought it was just the mother, but mom's dad had a full head of hair, and my uncle is doing great for a full head.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and extremely sorry for the late reply,

Thanks for that info. As a matter of fact, my scalp is rather dry, everytime the comb runs through the visibly-flaky areas on the scalp, it explodes into small flakes of white. How do I prevent this?

And, you'd mentioned looking at male hair patterns on the mother's side? I thought it was just the mother, but mom's dad had a full head of hair, and my uncle is doing great for a full head.

No its the males on your mothers side like her brother, father, uncle etc. Same thing you do when looking at your fathers side; its good to hear that your mothers side doesn't have any signs of hair loss. But it should be noted that viewing the Norwood status of family/relatives is more to see where you could end up. Even if everyone on both sides has like no hair loss it doesn't mean you're exempt from going to a Norwood 4 or beyond. It all comes down to the genes you were born with.

As for the dry scalp you need to first identify what's causing it, are you cleaning your scalp properly during the times you shower/wash it? How often to wash your hair, be it just water rinsing, to actual shampoo/conditioning. To get a better idea of whats causing it I'd see a dermatologist since I'm unsure how it looks and it could be something unrelated. In the meantime I recommend a Tea Tree shampoo/conditioner. They help moisturize the hairs as well as the scalp. Stay away from Nizoral if you're using it since it drys the scalp out.