15 Years Old Balding, Exhausted And Tired

Khangyyboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i am a 15 year old male, 10th grade in highschool. Over the year ive expirienced major hair loss and it has caused me a lot of anxiety ,depression and sometimes even suicidal thoughts.

Through this year i cut my hair shorter to apply minoxidil easier and started wearing a hat around (my school doesnt permit us wearing hats unless during sports) and alot of people have been staring at me and making rumors, i even got kids ive never seen before ask about my hair.

Ive never had a problem with self confidence and being comfortable with myself but hair loss especially at 15 has really sent me down a slump, ive disconected from all my friends and ive developed trust issues. I also never rarely go outside anymore.

People always told me that i would never have problems with girls being bald. My expiriences say something else, many girls have turned me down and especially this one girl who now just stares at me whenever i walk by. The hard truth is that all my friends and i knew hair loss would have this effect, its the nature of highschool.

My teachers dont seem to give a f*** either, recently my science teacher made a hairline joke right in front of me and some of my teachers wont even let me wear a hat, like i know its against the rules but dont they have a little understanding?

Im also less financially fortunate so affording to see doctors and dermatologist isn't easy, ive been working at my shitty job at kfc to save for dermatologist to tell me the same thing. This is making me dead broke and cant afford to go out with my friends even i wanted to.

I recently started going to the gym to compensate for my hair loss but truthfully i hate every bit of it and i feel trapped into doing these things now. I truthfully feel mentally imprisoned, everything feels heavier than it should be and ive lost alot of my passion for music. Im lucky to have a supportive big family who are willing to pay for my gym membership, but theres only so much they can do, theres only so much anyone can do, no one can change my shitty genetics.

I feel so guilty that there are so many people which love to trade positions with me, and im here complaining on the internet. My parents are refugees and my cousins still live in poverty, i feel so much guilt for even thinking of suicide, im too conflicted, ive been depressed, ive been at my all time low, can my thoughts and actions be justified?

Truthfully im burnt out, i dont feel like a kid, i feel like ive worked so hard to achieve so little, i feel like my parents worked too hard for me to complain, i often just stare into the mirror and cry, i feel broken, distraught, fustrated, i feel isolated, i feel like im just a joke to these other kids.

I dont feel passion for life anymore.

Thank you for reading,

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,

Maybe I can help you a bit.

Some simple questions first.

1) How tall are you? How tall are your parents?

2) How sexually mature are you? ie. Do you look "manly" naked or "boyish"? Hard one to quantify I know, but I'm just trying to get a sense for how far along your puberty is.

3) How is your general health? The most common reason a young teen might go bald besides standard male pattern baldness is if they have hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism. But that will cause you to feel pretty unwell in general as well. You can look up symptoms, but thyroid problems affect everything.

4) Do other men in your family have a history of balding in their teens?

5) How is your diet? Do you eat balanced meals? Nutritional deficiencies could rarely also cause hairloss. Have you tried taking a multivitamin over the counter? eg. Centrum men's. In the rare instance you're running low on something this could correct it easily.

6) Is your hair thinning all over your head, or just in the front and on top? (ie. Is it following the typical male pattern? Look up "Norwwod hair scale" to see what I mean.)

Basically all you need besides to answer these questions is a blood test to check your thyroid, iron, maybe B12, blood count. Unless there's something else going on like breast development or severe headaches/weight gain, fancier hormone tests like prolactin, cortisol, and estrogen levels are likely to be normal and not worth worrying about.

I wouldn't waste a fortune on an expensive dermatologist unless you have to. Even a General Practitioner can order this bloodwork for you.

If there is no blood abnormality or nutritional deficiency to explain your hair loss, then unfortunately you have very early onset hairloss. If you can answer the questions above I can give you better advice about what to do.

But basically, as you may already know, most of the treatments for male pattern baldness besides minoxidil are meant to block the production or activity of androgens (ie. the male hormones testosterone and dihydrotestosterone aka DHT).

The only complicating factor when you are 15 is that any medication which interferes with your androgens may affect your completion of puberty and growth/masculinization. Hence the questions above. It's important to know how far you've gone in your development to be able to judge if it's worth trying any standard treatments or if it will be too risky for you.

Let us know and we can try to give you the best advice we can.

Khangyyboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,

Maybe I can help you a bit.

Some simple questions first.

1) How tall are you? How tall are your parents?

2) How sexually mature are you? ie. Do you look "manly" naked or "boyish"? Hard one to quantify I know, but I'm just trying to get a sense for how far along your puberty is.

3) How is your general health? The most common reason a young teen might go bald besides standard male pattern baldness is if they have hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism. But that will cause you to feel pretty unwell in general as well. You can look up symptoms, but thyroid problems affect everything.

4) Do other men in your family have a history of balding in their teens?

5) How is your diet? Do you eat balanced meals? Nutritional deficiencies could rarely also cause hairloss. Have you tried taking a multivitamin over the counter? eg. Centrum men's. In the rare instance you're running low on something this could correct it easily.

6) Is your hair thinning all over your head, or just in the front and on top? (ie. Is it following the typical male pattern? Look up "Norwwod hair scale" to see what I mean.)

Basically all you need besides to answer these questions is a blood test to check your thyroid, iron, maybe B12, blood count. Unless there's something else going on like breast development or severe headaches/weight gain, fancier hormone tests like prolactin, cortisol, and estrogen levels are likely to be normal and not worth worrying about.

I wouldn't waste a fortune on an expensive dermatologist unless you have to. Even a General Practitioner can order this bloodwork for you.

If there is no blood abnormality or nutritional deficiency to explain your hair loss, then unfortunately you have very early onset hairloss. If you can answer the questions above I can give you better advice about what to do.

But basically, as you may already know, most of the treatments for male pattern baldness besides minoxidil are meant to block the production or activity of androgens (ie. the male hormones testosterone and dihydrotestosterone aka DHT).

The only complicating factor when you are 15 is that any medication which interferes with your androgens may affect your completion of puberty and growth/masculinization. Hence the questions above. It's important to know how far you've gone in your development to be able to judge if it's worth trying any standard treatments or if it will be too risky for you.

Let us know and we can try to give you the best advice we can.

hi, thank you for replying

i am 174cm, my dad is 162cm and and my mom is 160cm, i suspect i wont grow any taller considering my family.

as for where i am sexually i've always been a bigger kid, i can grow a full on mustache and i just developed a little fuzz in the beard area,
i definitely don't look boyish, people say i look about 17-19, i would say i'm pretty far in puberty and if it means anything my brothers all stopped growing at my age. i definitely have that triangular look.

generally i've felt pretty bad even before my hair loss set in, i checked the symptoms for hypothyroidism and i definitely ticked most of those symptoms but i feel like those symptoms are pretty broad but i will ask the GP for a check up on that. Other than that im pretty active.

NO ONE in my family has even balded this early which always confused me, my dad is 55 and just started thinning, my brothers who are 33, 24, and 13 show no forms of hair loss whatsoever, my sisters all have no hair loss either, my grandpa had a full nw1 hair before he died at age 65 and my grandpa on my dads side was bald at age 60. all my uncles, aunties, cousins and all that have very thick coarse hair, no signs of hair loss at all, infact when i went to visit them in vietnam the only person who was bald/balding there was my grandpa and my moms cousin who is around norwood 3,

as for my nutritional health admittedly i eat pretty bad stuff, but i doubt there would be a deficiency as i eat a lot of everything and i haven't tried multivitamins.

my balding pattern doesn't resemble anything on the norwood scale, my hair is diffuse thinning throughout the top but my hairline is completely intact and about 4cm into the hairline is thick untouched hair (ive attached a picture) my sides are all good its purely the top.

thank you so much, i really appreciate this forum and its community.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 425

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi, thank you for replying

i am 174cm, my dad is 162cm and and my mom is 160cm, i suspect i wont grow any taller considering my family.

as for where i am sexually i've always been a bigger kid, i can grow a full on mustache and i just developed a little fuzz in the beard area,
i definitely don't look boyish, people say i look about 17-19, i would say i'm pretty far in puberty and if it means anything my brothers all stopped growing at my age. i definitely have that triangular look.

generally i've felt pretty bad even before my hair loss set in, i checked the symptoms for hypothyroidism and i definitely ticked most of those symptoms but i feel like those symptoms are pretty broad but i will ask the GP for a check up on that. Other than that im pretty active.

NO ONE in my family has even balded this early which always confused me, my dad is 55 and just started thinning, my brothers who are 33, 24, and 13 show no forms of hair loss whatsoever, my sisters all have no hair loss either, my grandpa had a full nw1 hair before he died at age 65 and my grandpa on my dads side was bald at age 60. all my uncles, aunties, cousins and all that have very thick coarse hair, no signs of hair loss at all, infact when i went to visit them in vietnam the only person who was bald/balding there was my grandpa and my moms cousin who is around norwood 3,

as for my nutritional health admittedly i eat pretty bad stuff, but i doubt there would be a deficiency as i eat a lot of everything and i haven't tried multivitamins.

my balding pattern doesn't resemble anything on the norwood scale, my hair is diffuse thinning throughout the top but my hairline is completely intact and about 4cm into the hairline is thick untouched hair (ive attached a picture) my sides are all good its purely the top.

thank you so much, i really appreciate this forum and its community.
It looks like you're diffusing in a nw5 pattern, Jesus.. I know it pretty risky but if you are from europe i would look into hassons & wong topical finasteride on a low dose,it has minimal absorbtion and it will help you. Also go to a dermatologist and find out if you actually have male pattern baldness. good luck bro !

Khangyyboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like you're diffusing in a nw5 pattern, Jesus.. I know it pretty risky but if you are from europe i would look into hassons & wong topical finasteride on a low dose,it has minimal absorbtion and it will help you. Also go to a dermatologist and find out if you actually have male pattern baldness. good luck bro !

im putting all my prayers that it isn't male pattern baldness otherwise im screwed, thank you for you help and support brother.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would very much doubt that you have male pattern baldness based on what you're saying. Primarily you have zero family history of it.

For example my dad lost his hair in his teens, but all his family members are bald as well. These things are genetic.

So unless you developed a random mutation for baldness when you were conceived (or your mom is lying to you and your dad is not your dad) you have no place to get baldness genes from.

If the thinning is occurring on the sides and back as well (not just the top) that is not male pattern baldness. It is also not typically alopecia arreata which usually takes "bites" out of the hair.

It would be more likely something nutritional or hormonal like your thyroid.

If on the other hand your sides and back are full density and it is just thinning on top, that is very bad news and may be more likely make pattern baldness, though this is still uncertain.

If you can clarify further that might help.

Start eating healthy and pick up a bottle of vitamins for $10. Then see a GP when you can. Have them check you over and do a basic blood test for things like thyroid, iron, zinc, b12, blood count.

Keep in mind male pattern hair loss is very treatable and you are lucky you are at your full height. As an Asian you likely won't get much useful facial hair either way. If it is male pattern baldness (again unlikely from what you're saying but still possible) you will need to hop on finasteride or dutasteride soon. By blocking DHT those can affect puberty but sounds like you are mostly done anyway. That's just info FYI.

First still gotta figure out why you're losing. Sucks that people still in this age have to save up money from minimum wage jobs to go see a doctor. That's fucked up.

Khangyyboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would very much doubt that you have male pattern baldness based on what you're saying. Primarily you have zero family history of it.

For example my dad lost his hair in his teens, but all his family members are bald as well. These things are genetic.

So unless you developed a random mutation for baldness when you were conceived (or your mom is lying to you and your dad is not your dad) you have no place to get baldness genes from.

If the thinning is occurring on the sides and back as well (not just the top) that is not male pattern baldness. It is also not typically alopecia arreata which usually takes "bites" out of the hair.

It would be more likely something nutritional or hormonal like your thyroid.

If on the other hand your sides and back are full density and it is just thinning on top, that is very bad news and may be more likely make pattern baldness, though this is still uncertain.

If you can clarify further that might help.

Start eating healthy and pick up a bottle of vitamins for $10. Then see a GP when you can. Have them check you over and do a basic blood test for things like thyroid, iron, zinc, b12, blood count.

Keep in mind male pattern hair loss is very treatable and you are lucky you are at your full height. As an Asian you likely won't get much useful facial hair either way. If it is male pattern baldness (again unlikely from what you're saying but still possible) you will need to hop on finasteride or dutasteride soon. By blocking DHT those can affect puberty but sounds like you are mostly done anyway. That's just info FYI.

First still gotta figure out why you're losing. Sucks that people still in this age have to save up money from minimum wage jobs to go see a doctor. That's fucked up.

lol people always told me i don't look anything like my parents, anyway thanks for your help i really appreciate it. ill message you if i find out anything cool or make alot of progress. thank you i deeply appreciate your help and time.

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try finasteride ... you can't let hair loss progress anymore if that makes you so sad ...
or topical finasteride + minoxidil on ebay.pl ... but before that ask a Doctor if it's ok