1400 Grafts But I Can Only Count About 500 Hairs At Most

Richard Jones

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
My wife had a hair transplant operation last year. She was sold 1500 grafts for £3000
The operation was a success as far as we can tell. Her hairline came down about 1cm (we are told this is the maximum due to face muscles etc).
The hair seems growing strong etc. So ok with that.
The issue is we spoke to the surgeon last week and he claimed to have done 1400 grafts
But I can look at my wife's head and clearly see the new hairs (they look slightly different if you get close enough) and at maximum there might be 500. Possibly half that.
My wife is emotional about the whole thing and is screaming murder that the surgeon is lying and there is no where near 1400 grafts.
It's hard to argue with her. I am no expert. The surgeon did try to explain this but it was all somewhat lost on us. We have no choice but to take his word for it. We obviously have no experience in this and could be told absolutely anything.
Can anyone put our mind at rest over this? Is the number of grafts supposed to equal the number or hairs you see?
Thanks

Mike Jacob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Richard, if you have before-after photos, I may find out the number of the grafts. Grafts and hair strands are different terms. 500 grafts may include 1300-1400 hair strands. So it is possible that he/she said number of the hair strands. Another reason may be only 500 grafts survived. Though 1400 grafts has been done, only 500 of them survived. Send the photos and let me share my idea. Thanks.

Richard Jones

My Regimen
Reaction score
I currently only have the photos taken immediately after treatment. But they may show some insight.

Attachments

• IMG_4951.png
    IMG_4951.png
    448.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_4952.png
    IMG_4952.png
    549.7 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_4953.png
    IMG_4953.png
    331.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_4954.png
    IMG_4954.png
    373.3 KB · Views: 399

Mike Jacob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Richard, I think there is neither 1400 grafts nor 500 grafts. It looks like there is 700-800 grafts. The thing is, your wife has a good donor area. A 1800-2000 grafts could be done to lower the hairline. Probably, she will need a second hair transplant. Just my opinion.