14 months on propecia, 3months on dutasteride - excessive shedding - Off for over a month.

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
I noticed slight recession last year at 24 and a slight thinning crown. Decided to be proactive and got on propecia, took 1mg a day for over a year and all it seemed to do was give me excess oil and a terrible scalp itch. After 14 months I switched to 0.5mg of dutasteride a day and it just made everything worse. I was shedding from everywhere from propecia and dutasteride just made it worse I lost hair from the side of my head to my chest and eyebrows!

In nearly 18 months I had gone from slight recession and crowning to heavy heavy shedding and a very noticable thinning area on my entire scalp. I am diffuse all over have receded about 2cm on each side but all over is itchy and it is very upsetting.

I have hairloss on both side although my father has a full head of hair at 56. I have been using a laser helmet for 6 months now 3 times a week and have been rubbing emu and coconut oil before every session. I had started a new job a year ago and was stressed out and have gone through a really bad break up in the last 6 months could this exacerbate the issue? Im a fit guy and always go to the gym but it seems that dht blockers are not for me they have incited a Telogen Effluvium like event all over my head.

Any help would be appreciated I am no good at this kind of writing thing so I appologise if I have confused or left something out but please if you have any help or assistance that would be appreciated.

I have also recently started s5 spironolactone in the last month every night before bed and have been off any drug for over a month now and still shedding but not as much as before. Call me confused!

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
we seem to be some of the few mate, are you on it still or gotten off of finasteride/dutasteride? what is supposed to help us seems to have failed, people say its nonsense but when you get scalp itch and oil almost an hour after taking a pill lasting the entire day until you take the next pill it is pretty obvious what is causing it whether people say its not possible or not. Even more convincing to me is the fact that it seems to stop straight after discontinuing its use. All it did was make me depressed and shed way more plus oily skin and bad acne and now diffuse all over! What are you taking now to combat it? I am back to MSM, regenepure and s5 cream and have no idea what to do next.

Baldie101

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno dude, could be an allergic reaction to the drug. I used only finesteride and nizoral and expected it to help. 10th month into the program I had a shedding. My front area is quite thin now. It was like that before but now it's much more. Well I had results at month 9 wwith finesteride but then I shed in month 10.
I read somewhere on the forum that I shouldn't stop since there were people who had sheds that late and should hang on. I added minoxidil to it, hoping that it would help too. So far one month has gone by....meaning 11 months of finesteride, 1 month of regaine 5% and lots of years of nizoral. (got a dandruff problem) I guess I should give more time but so far no real results.

I also added D-vitamin because I've been lacking it for years (since 2006 where I started losing my hair it was on 7-10) and it's first now that I started doing something about it. I also take Silica and a normal vitamin pill. Thinking of adding MSM, B-vitamin complex when Silica finished and maybe copper (maybe copperpeptides) and see what happens...

Did you try adding minoxidil to your regime?
Stress do cause hair loss...so breakup could be a reason. (I suffer from it too)
Have you checked if you are missing any vitamins? Go take a few blood tests to see that.