1322 Total: ARTAS (mostly) + Manual FUE (Dr. Yates, Chicago)

loco88

Reaction score
So whats your Regime?

im only taking dutasteride once a week...you are taking it everyday with finasteride?

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
So whats your Regime?

im only taking dutasteride once a week...you are taking it everyday with finasteride?
Everyday with finasteride including topical RU58841. Most likely overkill and slightly pointless but whatever

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
5 months

Here are the 5 month post op pics. Still no haircut since late January. One of the pictures is wet with hair styled up. No concealers used in any of the pictures.

Attachments

• 5mo_1.jpg
    5mo_1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 5mo_2.jpg
    5mo_2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 666
  • 5mo_3.jpg
    5mo_3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 665
  • 5mo_4.jpg
    5mo_4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 689
  • 5mo_5.jpg
    5mo_5.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 674

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
Here are the 5 month post op pics. Still no haircut since late January. One of the pictures is wet with hair styled up. No concealers used in any of the pictures.

Looking good. Results will continue to get better for another year. Let the party begin :)

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
5.5 months post op fresh #2 electric razor shave. Finally got someone to help me take pictures. EDIT: My electric razor does not represent the traditional #2 (1/4th inch) correctly, this is much closer or is exactly a #1 guard setting (1/8th inch). The shockloss in the donor area recovered very nicely and I am content with the way it looks now.

Attachments

• 5.5_4.jpg
    5.5_4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 613
  • 5.5_3.jpg
    5.5_3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 5.5_2.jpg
    5.5_2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 605
  • 5.5_1.jpg
    5.5_1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 591

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
9 months

still expecting more yield but new hairs are popping up

Attachments

• month9pic5.jpg
    month9pic5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 647
  • month9pic4.jpg
    month9pic4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 641
  • month9pic3.jpg
    month9pic3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 611
  • month9pic2.jpg
    month9pic2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 658
  • month9pic1.jpg
    month9pic1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 617

GCHR

Reaction score
What is "mostly" Artas? And why the switch to manual? Just curious.

FBaldy

Reaction score
Looking great I think catching it while early and young you have a great chance of further improvement and more important saving what you have !

Id bet also if you grew your hair out longer and kept it dry it would be like zero hair loss ;)

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
18 months

I don't have a happy story to tell you guys... I regret getting this procedure done. I feel as if the hairline design of it being really straight and having a very visible density difference with my natural hair beneath doesn't look natural to me. I think this could have maybe worked if the hairline was more "U" shaped. I also believe that the robot has significantly lower yield than compared to a manual punch. Plus I believe I notice some hypopigmentation scarring in the donor that probably wouldn't be there if an actual 0.9mm manual punch was used instead since the robot isn't a true 0.9mm punch since it also uses a 1.2mm one (yikes!). I really wish the clinic talked me out of this as I would have been a much happier camper without any surgery. If I was aware that the ARTAS robot is only FDA approved for straight brown hair, I wouldn't have even done this kind of procedure as my hair color is not brown. I suppose the life lesson here is that the research isn't going to be spoon fed to you. For anybody that is even seriously considering the ARTAS robot for a transplant, I highly recommend reading a thread on a forum (use a search engine) made by topccat29 regarding robotic FUE.

Attachments

• 010_small.JPG
    010_small.JPG
    531.6 KB · Views: 663
  • 009_small.JPG
    009_small.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 619
  • 007_small.JPG
    007_small.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 004_small.JPG
    004_small.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 668
  • 003_small.JPG
    003_small.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 641
  • 002_small.JPG
    002_small.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 693
  • 001_small.JPG
    001_small.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 681
  • 011_small.JPG
    011_small.JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 679

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have a happy story to tell you guys... I regret getting this procedure done. I feel as if the hairline design of it being really straight and having a very visible density difference with my natural hair beneath doesn't look natural to me. I think this could have maybe worked if the hairline was more "U" shaped. I also believe that the robot has significantly lower yield than compared to a manual punch. Plus I believe I notice some hypopigmentation scarring in the donor that probably wouldn't be there if an actual 0.9mm manual punch was used instead since the robot isn't a true 0.9mm punch since it also uses a 1.2mm one (yikes!). I really wish the clinic talked me out of this as I would have been a much happier camper without any surgery. If I was aware that the ARTAS robot is only FDA approved for straight brown hair, I wouldn't have even done this kind of procedure as my hair color is not brown. I suppose the life lesson here is that the research isn't going to be spoon fed to you. For anybody that is even seriously considering the ARTAS robot for a transplant, I highly recommend reading a thread on a forum (use a search engine) made by topccat29 regarding robotic FUE.

Hi, Im sorry for your painfull experience. The side pics you posted, it seems very little growth to me and big gaps between transplanted hair? I would definitely want refund from the Doctor, have you contacted them? wHat was the response on the result?

On the other hand, you had AMAZING regrowth on dutasteride, I have never seen such regrowth from it so your overall hair situation should be still very good. From the preop fron pics, you look like total fullhead. You can still have another hair transplant to get hair you want.

Do you still take dutasteride ED? no sides?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn that's such a shame, why do you think it turned out like that? Grafts spaced too widely? Or did a large proportion of the grafts not survive?

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience brother. Did you talk to the Doctor? Did they give an estimate of the yield?

all

Reaction score
This is why im gonna get an fut instead. ive already got a scar on my head so whats one more gonna do.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
This is why im gonna get an fut instead. ive already got a scar on my head so whats one more gonna do.
FUE is great at least with a manual punch in the right hands, but I personally think ARTAS is a worthless way to get FUE done... not sure why I even bothered...

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Really sorry that you had a bad experience. IMO choosing the ARTAS robot is stupid - any advantage it could provide is only for the doctor (it potentially makes the surgery easier for the doctor - but it doesn't make the patient's results any better). Maybe someday they can perfect it, but in the meantime they are just using guys to practice on. Let somebody else be their experiment!

You also deserve a huge THANK YOU for coming back and updating your thread. You have hopefully prevented somebody else from also making that same mistake. I can't emphasize the importance of this enough.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at both sides of your hairline, it looks like only a couple of hundred hairs (not grafts) were placed on each side, maybe less. It certainly doesn't look like 1322 grafts (2000+ hairs), my guess would be about 3-400 grafts survived. You should take high res, up close pictures and count the hairs...