13 Year Old Daughter with Extreme Hair Loss & Bald Patch?

wellheymel

Reaction score
My daughter has had a rough year. Three months ago she had an MRSA infection in her nose, which caused harmful bacteria to enter her blood and caused her a stroke that affected her left side of her body and overall movement. She was in the hospital for a month with antibiotics and an IV, and was transferred to a medical center where she received Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy for three weeks. Luckily, after those three weeks showed no memory loss or permanent damage to her brain, her movement has gone back to normal (although she gets tired easily but with consistency comes improvement) and her left side of her body is working fine and normal as well.

However, when she got back (she's been back for about a month now) to home, after a week or two I noticed a large bald spot underneath all of her hair. It's located next to her left ear and I didn't see it when I was caring for her in the hospital since it was hidden. It is a complete bald spot, and fairly large, about two inches in diameter. It is just white and feels normal, no bumps or redness. However, there are a lot of short growing hairs coming back.

We went to a doctor a week ago about it and she took pictures and did a swab to test if there was an infection (which she reassured us was unlikely) and to see if the patch would grow in a few weeks. I noted that she didn't have much hair loss elsewhere but did lose quite a lot in the hospital on her pillow and from washing her hair. The doctor said since it was growing it shouldn't be a problem and if overall hair loss wasn't severe, no treatment would be neccesary.

Well after my daughter and I have noticed that with the slightest pull on her hair she will easily lose 5-10 pieces. She's also been getting a lot of flakes and white stuff on her scalp, dandruff or lice that she's never had before now. Her hair falls out extremely easily and we'll see it everywhere: on her shirt when she is just sitting down, washing her hair, combing with a wide-toothed comb (about 20 still), etc.

What can we do or what might be the cause of this? We are seeing the doctor again shortly. She's still on medicine and antibiotics such as doxycycline, aspirin, iron, etc. She does have an iron defiencicy but she takes two pills a day for it already. She's had two surgeries in the span of two months. Her stress levels are low except for now where she is very stressed out due to the amount of hair loss. She never wears tight ponytails or hairstyles and leaves her hair natural and untouched 90% of the time. She sometimes straighten, but that is once per 2 weeks usually and is just a brief straightening.

Please help. I am worried. (Pics will be provided if needed)

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shock loss or autoimmume issue. Also it could be Telogen Effluvium. To put this short because of the haircycles it should grow back after some months, it can even take 6 months. But i think this is not permanent, especially if you look at her age and gender.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hello Wellheymel, I'm very sorry about your desperate circumstances. One question for you: Is your daughter exhibiting any pain associated with the scalp/hair issues? As we know adolescence in general can be hard on children (and parents), especially young girls. While you are doing your best to manage this wisely our well intentioned answers here are just guesses right now. Be patient, not passive and don't be reluctant to push the professionals harder until you are completely satisfied with their opinion and appropriate course of action. I wish I could be more helpful. All the best.

wellheymel

Reaction score
Not really pain, more of a weird tingling sensation in her upper left side of her head, but her bald patch is on her lower left side. I thought it got better a few days ago but last night her pillow was covered with it and she has been losing the most today.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
So far nothing revealed in her blood labs? I expect you had fully comprehensive blood tests done? Are you willing to get another opinion? IMHO your doctor is far too reserved, I don't want to increase your anxiety, but afterall their primary focus needs to on finding a solution for your daughter. You have a right to get this properly and proficiently address. Some hand holding, a pat on the back, and a patronizing "drop by next time you're in the neighborhood" tone is flagrantly unacceptable. Keep at it and all my best.